Page 12 of 109 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Thank you, John Esposito . . .

. . . . . . .

Yours, truly,

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 10-27-2010 at 12:11 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Rick,
    Congrat's. The car looks beautiful. Now send those deep 6 wheels off to Al Reed and really make the car beautiful. For $400 plus shipping, those wheels will glow.
    BTW, I knew John Forbes back in his South Florida days. He was located in Delray Beach. He is a quite a character. I also remember the guy whose car the yellow aluminum decklid came from. Small world, eh...

Dish!

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    . . . BTW, I knew John Forbes back in his South Florida days. He was located in Delray Beach. He is a quite a character. I also remember the guy whose car the yellow aluminum deck lid came from. Small world, eh...
    Well, don't stop there, gruen --- DISH, Man! I'd especially like to hear about The Guy with the Yellow Car. What happened to tweak that lid? And how'd John end up with it? And where are The Guy and The Yellow Car now?

And have you ever heard of a man named Louis Scalzo? Also in Florida.

We Can Be Heroes

"Cowboy tidy"

This GT40 was at the CSRG Charity Event @ Infineon this past Saturday. I knew you could appreciate this car.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

One more, and R Gruppe car (anyone here?) with SWB decklid and some interesting paint. There was also an incredible Irish Green '66 with 185/70 Pirelli CN36 tires (widened steelies...mm) and I saw Bob Tilton's car but didn't get any pics.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

My Hero

Dude! How cool is that! A beater GT40? Holy crap . . . . My hero!

Both you guys.

Rick Kreiskott

PS Wonder if the 'numbers' match.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Well, don't stop there, gruen --- DISH, Man! I'd especially like to hear about The Guy with the Yellow Car. What happened to tweak that lid? And how'd John end up with it? And where are The Guy and The Yellow Car now?

And have you ever heard of a man named Louis Scalzo? Also in Florida.
    Don't know Louis Scalzo, but judging by the name, I don't know if I would want to owe him any money
    The guy with the yellow aluminum decklid used to come into Forbes to have his car looked at. If I remember correctly, it was a 71S as well. The guy used the car as his daily driver and didn't have much money. The motor was pretty worn out and Forbes would tweak the MFI to try to get the car idling properly. I remember when looking at the car with him and seeing the decklid, I told him that he could sell the decklid for a few grand and spend the money on helping pay to get the motor sorted out. A few months later, I saw the car again parked in the on deck circle at Forbes and saw that it had been popped in the rear. Engine was okay but the rear panel and decklid were bent up. Forbes offered him a good steel decklid in exchange for the aluminum bent one (what a guy!). Forbes told him it would cost a lot to get fixed and maybe couldn't be fixed at all. That's when he let it go. That was around 2002...
    You mention that Forbes opened up your tranny and replaced the 2nd gear synchro. However, you said also that the tranny is pretty sloppy (bag of antlers). I have a 71T with the same 901 box and just had 1 and 2nd gear synchros replaced. Mine shifts clean and smooth like it should. I would think that after the work done, your tranny should be nice and tight - maybe even too tight in 2nd until the synchro gets broken in.
    Forbes actually rebuilt a 915 gearbox for my ex-73E back then and replaced 1,2,3 synchros. The tranny shifted very stiff for the first few hundred miles. If anything, your 2nd gear synchro should be a stiff.
    On the other hand, if the car has no problem shifting gears and it's merely sloppy moving around between gears, you should be looking at your shifter bushings. That's something Forbes should have looked at as well. These are a relatively easy and cheap fix. There is nothing nicer than going thru the gears of nice fresh 901 gearbox attached to a high compression motor! The shift tower used on the post 72 cars was an improvement, but a nice healthy 901 gearbox is really a pleasure to shift once you get used to it. I thought about upgrading the shifter to a Sein or Rennspeed, but the tranny shifts easy and clean. As long as you are familiar with the 901 "feel", a bad shift shouldn't happen, and you should always know where you are in the gearbox.
    Your car looks great. Now get those wheels polished!

Not sure it belongs on your restored car thread...The beater silver car with the early deck lid is my car. A break from the Martini graphics..
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    Not sure it belongs on your restored car thread...The beater silver car with the early deck lid is my car. A break from the Martini graphics..
    H
    Pretty car Harvey. I love the orange bumper against the silver body color look. Interesting also to see that your wheels look frosted instead of the standard finish. I guess after someone has polished and anodized as many Fuchs wheels as you, frosted finish is a breath of fresh air.... (By the way, Lone Ranger, I mentioned having your wheel done by Al Reed in my earlier post. Harvey is the alternative. Maybe Harvey can float you some loaner frosted finish 7's while he restores you wheels. The cars are close enough together that a wheel swap would not take more than 20 minutes )

Puh - Puh - Puh . . . .

Hey, gruen . . .

. . . Don't know Louis Scalzo, but judging by the name, I don't know if I would want to owe him any money
    Ha! Well, he's the previous Previous Owner (PPO?) Sold 1059 for $7600, back in '84. Sure like to talk to the guy.

. . . The guy with the yellow aluminum decklid used to come into Forbes to have his car looked at. If I remember correctly, it was a 71S as well. The guy used the car as his daily driver and didn't have much money . . . I told him that he could sell the decklid for a few grand and spend the money on helping pay to get the motor sorted out. A few months later, I saw the car again . . . it had been popped in the rear. Engine was okay but the rear panel and decklid were bent up . . . That's when he let it go. That was around 2002 . . .
    Not exactly a romantic past, huh? Thanks for the details.

. . . You mention that Forbes opened up your tranny and replaced the 2nd gear synchro. However, you said also that the tranny is pretty sloppy (bag of antlers). I . . . just had 1 and 2nd gear synchros replaced. Mine shifts clean and smooth like it should. I would think that after the work done, your tranny should be nice and tight - maybe even too tight in 2nd until the synchro gets broken in . . .
    I never thought of it that way. 1-to-2 is actually a good shift, definitely tighter than, say, 3-to-4 (across the gate). Maybe its that difference in effort, depending on the gear, that's providing all the entertainment. Good call.

. . . On the other hand, if the car has no problem shifting gears and it's merely sloppy moving around between gears, you should be looking at your shifter bushings. That's something Forbes should have looked at as well . . . As long as you are familiar with the 901 "feel", a bad shift shouldn't happen, and you should always know where you are in the gearbox . . .
    Bushings came up already during the PPI. And I had a Stomski coupler fitted, as well. Other than finding 1st gear sometimes feeling like picking up a marble with chop-sticks, selecting a gear is relatively easy --- just pick a corner of the gate, then push! I drive it like a 4-speed. Still, nothing like the Getrags I'm used to.

Your car looks great. Now get those wheels polished!
    Puh -- puh --- puh ---- polished?. . . .

How 'bout a little Scotch-Brite? And a Sharpie? Maybe a bit more Armor All?

And I'll tuck-up those wires hanging down under the dash, get caps on those bumper guard bolts . . .

We Can Be Heroes