Page 21 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hey, Maurizio . . .

Really really want a vintage Recaro -- at least in the driver's position. Mixed feelings, though. Tried on the one in Marco's Orange ST . . . but that was a pretty tight fit --- even for my narrow a$$. Big dollars for the real thing, too . . . all wasted if I'm not comfortable. So I may end up building a custom seat --- vintage look, re-upholstered, just all new construction, maybe an extra 20-30 mm wider.

For now, the regular seats will do. Mine's crap, but The Girlfriend's fits her fine.

Rick Kreiskott
    Hi Rick!

save your money and then... alone original Recaro!!! Here are mine... do you like them?

Name:  93.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  115.7 KB

Ciao
    Maurizio G.

Early S Registry member #1253

1968 MY 1969 Light Ivory 911E

Quote Originally Posted by mimimemegna View Post
    Hi Rick!

save your money and then... alone original Recaro!!! Here are mine... do you like them?

Ciao
    Hey, Maurizio . . .

Those seats look very nice . . . . pepita really brightens up an interior. (And your interior looks very original --- is it?)

It's funny but I haven't sat in a Sports seat, yet. Do they come in corduroy? . . .

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Hi Rick

Yes they do, these have been re done by southbound in the UK

HTH

Kind Regards
    John #1022

1970 911E 2.2

Hey Rick,
    Have you considered having you existing seats re stuffed to original spec?
    I had Tony @ Autobahn Interiors do just that to mine, and found them exceptionally comfortable on a recent 1,500 mile run. The more seat time, the more they just feel correct. At first I was surprised at how stiff they were, but the good utilitarian German engineering seem to prove out. My 55 year old arse and back thanked me for Tony's craftsmanship.

....Love your behind the wheel perceptions/prose, keep up the very enjoyable posts!

Bud
    70E Albert Blue
    Member #1906

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hey, Maurizio . . .

Those seats look very nice . . . . pepita really brightens up an interior. (And your interior looks very original --- is it?)

It's funny but I haven't sat in a Sports seat, yet. Do they come in corduroy? . . .

Rick Kreiskott

Yes Rick,

my interior are original (also Recaro) !!
    Maurizio G.

Early S Registry member #1253

1968 MY 1969 Light Ivory 911E

Quote Originally Posted by cjtbt View Post
    . . . Have you considered having you existing seats re stuffed to original spec? I had Tony @ Autobahn Interiors do just that to mine, and found them exceptionally comfortable on a recent 1,500 mile run . . .
    Hey, Bud . . .

I agree --- the size and contour of the 'standard' seat suits me, too.

One thing . . . I'm six-five and sitting up at the wheel puts my head up into the 'liner. Need something lower. Lots.

Also, re-doing the seat --- re-doing anything --- not my first choice. As baggy and wobbly and tatty as that seat may be . . . it looks to be original. And that means I either fix it as is. Or pull it, bag it, stick it in the Archives. (Yeah --- I'm One of Those Guys.) I'll need to do something pretty quick, too --- that 41-year-old corduroy's not gonna take much more before I'll need to break out the beach towels --- or duct-tape --- to save myself a tetanus shot.

That was kinda part of my rationale with getting a vintage Recaro --- it'd be a Two-fer. I get something that's lower, more comfortable, and something nicer, not so beat and wiggly.

I haven't tried the Sports seat, but I have this feeling its an expensive way to get where I already am. Heavy, too. And not on my CoA. (OoTG, too.) Really want something something lower, in-period . . . soon.

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 05-17-2011 at 10:49 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Rick,

I doubt you'll go for this , but if it strikes your fancy . . .

I have this ST seat (replica) made by TRE and covered by Autobahn in a Mercedes vinyl called 'Camel'. . . Smooth side bolsters, perforated (picture #2) centers.

*Head rest not done to match.

Just throwing it out there.

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Long Version

To answer beh911’s question above, about the NC tag . . .

When I first found and purchased 1059, I’d already established a residence in --- and was half-way moved-out to --- North Carolina. Then? . . . well . . . Life Got Interesting.

The Economy. Plans. Careers. Homes. Marriages.

Things change. Sometimes everything changes. Sometimes all at once.

For a while, my Little Girl drove the car while she attended Grad School. But that couldn’t last. So, John Forbes, my original mechanic back in Stanley, was kind enough to step up, care for, and provide a place to keep, 1059. After a year or so, and after I’d renewed the NC tag, I’d decided living out there was not-to-be, so brought the car out to California. Not so sure I was gonna be staying here, either. But the tags were expiring . . .

Good thing cars have wheels.

Anyway, last Monday, finally made the trip down to The DMV. Monday’s as good a day as any. Started out kinda cool, overcasty, then, after I got the car out, headed down, weather got a little misty --- tried to rain on us, at one point. Figures.

My chosen DMV sits at the far end of a disheveled ‘70s-era strip mall, across from a sprawling retirement development disparagingly referred to as Seizure World, fronted by a street ‘improvement’ project that the local municipality has been dithering over since, like, I don’t know --- maybe the Clinton Administration?

Cheerful little panorama. Got there around 8:30.

CA DMV lets you book appointments on-line. But their typical two-plus-week lead-time is not attractive. So I usually just wing it --- go Commando --- come early, get in line, tough it out. Brought a book. But not comfortable shoes. And the Guy Behind Me was some kinda New York Times/Washington Post Opinion Section-type . . . with a loud voice. Read 5 pages three times.

Took about two hours to get to my First Public Servant. I’d already gone on-line to pull the correct forms, filled ‘em out, so this part went quick. No eye-contact. ‘Park your car in the Inspection Area, open the hood, then wait for the Examiner.’ Okie-dokie.

I walk out, back across the lot, look for the car, spot it . . . . . . . . left the lights on. $&^#! I’m already sweating that they’re gonna go over all the head lights and turn-signals and stuff --- low-beams are MIA and I still have no idea what half the switches and knobs on the dash do. Now how would a ‘jump-start’ play into all of this? Luckily, 1059 fired like a Champ. One turn, boom . . . show-time. Love a car that starts like that.

Pulled up to the Inspection Area, popped the front hood --- wanna be sure to show both the VIN tag and body stamp --- thought about it a minute, then popped the engine cover, too. No smog-equipment but . . . what the heck. Hope they don’t touch the lid.

After maybe ten minutes, Nice little Phillipina Lady came out --- noooo idea what she’s looking at. Whew. I was worried that maybe she’d wanna see a door-jam VIN sticker or something . . . but never came up. Showed ‘er the VIN numbers, showed ‘er the odo. ‘Kilometers, eh?’ ‘Yes, Ma’am.’ That was it. What a relief.

Then, as I’m closing up to move the car, this unimpressive-looking Examiner Dude in jeans, Hawaiian-print shirt, and a straw hat cruises by . . . .’Zat a ’70?’ Hmm. Lucky guess, maybe?

Anyway, pulled out, re-parked, made sure everything was turned-off this time, hiked back, got in (a shorter) line, arm-load of paperwork, got my call number, sat down, flipped open my book, was just double-checking my number, when ---- ‘A-Oh-Oh-Three, window #3’ Nice!

Lots of stuff to show the clerk. Application for CA registration, current NC registration, NC title, proof-of-insurance, Power-of-Attorney, and, of course . . . my check book. Bottom line? With all reg and title fees, taxes, penalties, Dealer prep and options . . . would you believe $1566? What? No dinner and a movie?

Actually I was happy to pay it. (Well, OK --- let’s stick with relieved.)

It’s been over two years since I purchased 1059. And that interval is significant because . . . if I hadn’t waited this long to register the car, here in California . . . I’d’ve had to pay state sales tax, as well. That’s right, Cub Scouts --- California taxes you for stuff you don’t even buy here! ---- which would have, like, tripled, maybe fourpled, the bill. Welcome to The Golden State.

One more line, this time for plates. Kept my NC 911EST tag --- that’ll go up on a wall --- then? Done.

Well, almost.

Gotta go back one more time . . . transfer a tag . . .

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-06-2011 at 05:08 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Hey Rick, Understand the height issue. When I first had my seat re-stuffed by a local guy, they came back stuffed so full my head hit the roof and I'm only 6' tall.
    I took them back to him and after removing some "stuff", it was evident that they were'nt quit cricket, so off to Tony they went.

Tony is looking for some sport seats for me, but I have heard they are not particularly comfortable on a long drive, but are nice for spirited runs in that they hold you in position as designed.

Keep up the much anticipated posts!

Cheers,
    Bud 7,258m
    70E Albert Blue
    Member #1906

$1566? Wow..and without sales tax. Just registered the 69S in CT three weeks ago and it was $168 without the sales tax. What in the world are they charging you $1600 for?