Page 34 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Lighter

Here are the measured weights relating to the Scheel + bits

Seat = 12.2 lbs/5.6 kg
    Sliders = 5.4 lbs/2.5 kg
    Headrest = 4.2 lbs/1.9 kg

Still need to add the bracket that attaches everything to the car.

Seat is very comfortable, out of the car, at least --- butt fits, hips+thighs, too, backrest angle seems OK, supports all the way up. Have NOT tried the add-on head-rest, yet. Real curious to see what the final height in the car is --- head is up close to the liner now, and I feel like I need to crouch a bit to clear+see . . .

Seat feels light, as well --- and kinda ‘springy.’

Been doing some reading of old threads and came across this in a post by John Rice . . .

. . . most of the Recaro seats are HEAVY. If you want a genuine sports purpose seat for a really light car you should be trying to find an early Scheel bucket which weighs less than 1/2. Of course, they don't hold up over the years either. That is one reason the market is mostly Recaro. Built like a tank. There aren't many Scheels left . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ly-Seats/page3

Mr Rice’s comments struck me, bringing up something that’s been in the back of my mind . . . about this Scheel, where it came from, and why was it out of a car?

I think that people pull parts off of cars for two reasons, mainly. One --- it’s broken. Or Two --- they found something better. Since this seat was worn, not broken, with its original-type late-60s-vintage construction/materials, still intact, I’m thinking this seat, along with the funky sliders --- crudely cut-down prior to being fit, from Gerrit’s observations . . . were replaced by something better, then discarded.

'Course, I'll never know exactly what happened, or why . . . . but one comment that Mr Rice made, that . . . ‘they don’t hold up over the years’ --- stuck with me.

The Scheel is light --- sure . . . but also ‘springy,’ a polite way of saying . . . flimsy, built to be light --- NOT to last. And I doubt that I’ll ever get past any Tech Inspect, and into any track event, with this little fiberglass potato-chip-of-a-seat . . . which, I’m thinking, was what might have gotten this particular bit side-lined, in the 1st place.

The World's moved on a LOT since this seat, and 1059, first came onto the scene. And as much as I treasure/esteem Old Stuff, the fact is . . . a lot of this stuff isn’t safe by modern (and maybe ANY) standards . . . something I’ll be keeping in mind the next time I go diving into a corner, pushing hard on the brakes . . . . or just driving in traffic.

Rick

PS Fire extinguisher's handy, Everybody? --- yes?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-09-2011 at 03:56 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Add-on Headrest

Here are some photos of the add-on headrest.

I would've liked to've removed the cover, show more details . . . but I'm not sure I could do that without damaging it, so . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images      

We Can Be Heroes

More Add-on Headrest

Frame feels strong, light, also, intricate . . . not what I expected. Couldn't check if it was steel or alu . . .

Perforated vinyl is original, zipper + grommets, too, foam maybe (?), the corduroy NOS, smooth vinyl new, older-type

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

December 2011

Put another 666 mi/1075 km on 1059, this last month.

Since getting serviced at TLG, car runs really really nice. Still gives a light spit/sputter/gurgle moving-off cold, always in 1st/2nd, but, once she’s warmed-up . . . . sweet little car --- city and highway.

Less of a chore to drive now, too. Time + miles helps. After taking her to work for a week-and-a-half, my more-than-slight circumspection + anxiety + fear at using a 901 at close-quarters has quieted some. It’s still a bit of a hula dance to change gears --- kooky mix of timing, dedication, and finesse --- but I’ve gotten used to it. No more quiet panic running into some surprise in traffic ('let me see . . . should I make this un-signaled lane-change . . . while on a cell-phone . . . in heavy traffic . . . in front of this Old Car? Sure.'), quickly reaching for a gear, not quite finding one, then having to select another two (or three or . . . ) times before persuading a new ratio into play. With NO crunching. Basically? . . . I need to relax. Less effort + more patience = smoother progress. Short version --- gear-change is slower, measured, more demanding . . . . live with it.

And I do. I get a real sense of accomplishment, using this thing, going out (anywhere), then coming back . . . exercised. Both of us.

Highway driving was always been this car’s best suit --- running more throttle, >3k, higher speeds. Any running issues going on out back get buried under inertia + momentum. Only doing the slower stuff did the car ever kick up --- gurgling/sputtering/throbbing. My response? --- just run 'er harder. But now, thanks to Marco, 1059 feels almost tame, domesticated even, like a regular car . . . . humming along mercifully in city traffic, pulling smoothly from low speed --- even moving off from a stop in 2nd (!) . . . even using 4th in town (!!) . . . all with zero nonsense/temper/theatrics. I’m still real deliberate with the throttle --- nothing large + sudden, especially at low RPM . . . but the car’s almost relaxing to drive now, oozing along at 25-2700, civil and sweet. No one would ever know . . .

But I do. That sound-track + thrust . . . . all we need is a little room, some opportunity, provocation. Boom. Little car --- big noise.

Fuel economy is keeping up, too . . . . >20 MpG since service. Just added a quart of oil. I keep the level at about two-thirds of max, then watch the gauge (still dead-accurate). Speedo's been out since RRIV so I’m using MapQuest as my odo.

And I’m mindful of Marco’s sh!t-list, $ to be spent, but, in the mean time? . . . . I’m enjoying myself.

Rick

As seen at Hi-Time's . . . my local source for The Good Stuff.

(And a little curb-side car show)
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-08-2012 at 08:12 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Mr Rice’s comments struck me, bringing up something that’s been in the back of my mind . . . about this Scheel, where it came from, and why was it out of a car?

I think that people pull parts off of cars for two reasons, mainly. One --- it’s broken. Or Two --- they found something better. Since this seat was worn, not broken, with its original-type late-60s-vintage construction/materials, still intact, I’m thinking this seat, along with the funky sliders --- crudely cut-down prior to being fit, from Gerrit’s observations . . . were replaced by something better, then discarded.
    Rick, it was the Passenger seat in a Slalom NSU TTS which was sometimes also used on public roads.
    Cheers

Uli
    Last edited by uai; 01-06-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    . . . it was the Passenger seat in a Slalom NSU TTS which was sometimes also used on public roads . . .
    Hey, Uli! . . .

Oh --- that's hilarious! . . . thanks for the 'competition provenance'

And also probably why this Scheel survived . . . fewer passengers than pilots.

I expect to put a few miles on it --- driver's side --- then switch it over to the passenger's. As soon as I get a bracket. (Stefan/GTS is in the process of moving his store + operations . . . to Honduras.)

I can't thank you enough, Uli! . . .

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-06-2012 at 09:45 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Friday the 13th

Haven’t done much with the car, driving-wise, these past few weeks. Too bad, ‘cause the weather’s been good/awful.

Good = dry --- perfect for taking old, rust-prone German cars out-&-about. 1059 only gets damp --- and only on top. (Had just three washes since she’s been painted, so far --- and I only did two of those.) Car NEVER gets wet underneath . . . unless I’m there to dry ‘er off. Serious. The only time it's happened, so far, was that shower I ran her through, back in May (?), going to the Dana Point Dealio . . . . and she sat out in hot sun all that afternoon to dry out, after. Dry = good.

But awful = dry, too, because Southern California is a pretty dry place to begin with, so . . . add a few million people (w/swimming pools, over-watering their lawns, washing their driveways, letting the faucets drip/run, etc), then? . . . turn off the rain. For a coupla years. Water gets kinda precious. And expensive. (I can remember a few <$150 monthly water bills) . . . so, when it doesn’t rain now, during our winter? . . . . not good. I’ve been through water-rationing, here, before. No fun. And that was 20 years --- and 5 million fewer people, ago.

Anyway . . . about the only driving 1059’s done was a few laps around the ‘hood, and topping off down the street. Found another gas receipt, too (in the glove compartment), so measured overall fuel economy is at 18.0. Down from 20, but I’m still thrilled.

Haven’t done much to the car, either. Finally pulled off that old South Carolina HOA parking sticker that’d been pasted to the top of the windshield. No idea why I waited this long. Keeping it --- took a razor, carefully un-stuck it, then re-stuck it (to a blank sheet, 8.5-by-11), filed it away.

And the insurance renewal came up. 1059’s covered by Hagerty, for $105k . . . a little light, maybe, but, if anything happens, I’m not gonna jump off any really high bridges. On the other hand, with the car now located + registered in Southern California, my premiums are a bit . . . . higher.

$870.

Gulp

Not complaining. Insurance = peace-of-mind. And my policy has a bunch of towing and parts-replacement and misc other features that would come in handy if someone’s Camry smooshes 1059’s cute little alu tail. On the other hand, 900 bucks is 900 bucks. And the registration is coming up here shortly, too --- ‘nother $400.

This’s supposed to be a hobby ---- fun, and all that. But spending that kinda money ---- whether I drive the car or NOT --- whether I have fun, or NOT . . . . gives me pause.

That --- and having a bunch o' money sitting on four wheels, in a lock-up, away from my home . . . not earning interest, not being ‘useful’ . . . basically parked, leaking + stinking, days/weeks at a time, waiting for the occasional joy-ride, maybe going to the occasional car show, smelling-up the planet as we go . . . . does kinda rub up against my old-fashioned German sense of propriety, utility. What would my Grampa say?

Money. And cars. Subject is always there, turning, churning, under the surface, in the back of my mind. With everything else that I've got going on, with all the other things I can/need to do in this life . . . . what am I doing with that much money . . . . sitting . . . . in a car. ‘Cause --- at some point . . . . I’ll have to let the car go, any way . . .

Just a question of when.

Hhhh.

Anyway.

Went to the CA DMV, yesterday. According to Lou Scalzo (PO #3), 1059 was in CA from ~’74?, until ’84, so, I’d submitted a request for 1059’s CA registration history, hoping to identify PO #2 --- 10 months ago --- and haven’t heard a thing back.

So, I got my paperwork together, went down to the same office that I’d submitted my original request to, to find out what’s what.

Wrong form’ was the short answer.

I'd walked in, no appointment, taken a number --- my usual MO. After a short wait --- 10 minutes? --- I got to speak with a clerk who had no idea what I was asking for, left, spent 5 minutes with The Supervisor, came back, gave me a different form, dispensed some earnest/friendly instructions, along with a phone number to call for any questions.

Run-around, right?

Well . . . no.

Left, went to my office, got on the phone, called the number. (Would’ve called from my cell but the automated menu I started off at said I’d need to write some stuff down, so . . .)

It was late in the day --- after 4:30 --- got a Guy on the Phone who, again, had no idea what I was asking for, gave me some schpeel about ‘no records go back that far,’ ‘records purged,’ etc, etc. . . . but I hung in there, pressed him, ‘till he finally said --- ‘lemme check with one of our Senior So-and-sos . . .

Five minute wait --- listening to ‘60s bottom-40 . . . . enter ‘Nicki.’

Nice lady, fun --- could tell by the way she talks . . . friendly, out-going, kinda excited/energetic --- even at the end of the day. Sounds cute, too. (So she’s gotta weigh, like, 300 lbs, right? --- hence the 5 minutes?)

Nicki got right to business, asked about what I was looking for, clarified a few things, tells me how any requests for records, etc get purged after 6 mos. Also, CA DMV doesn’t keep any automated reg records for more than 4 years, then those get purged, as well . . . . unless there's a request for them. Then? . . . that four-year clock re-sets.

OK --- I’m sweating now. 1059 left CA in ’84, and I tell Nicki this. She ‘tsks,’ asks for my plate number, then the VIN . . . . can hear the keystrokes. I’m already thinking about the letter I’m gonna write to Governor Brown, offering to fly to Sacramento, go through all the moldy paper records myself, when . . . . ‘wait a minute . . . . . . here’s a record!

Touch-down. Can’t believe it.

I’ve held off sending for any reg records/info from Der Schweiz until I heard from DMV ($5 vs $125 ----yeah!). Nicki wouldn’t tell me anything over the phone --- DMV will only give me a name, maybe a city, anyway --- NO addresses with numbers. But Lou is supposed to be coming to town for The Lit Show and The Phoenix Show --- and to see 1059, again after 28 years --- and he and I’ve already talked about driving out to The Valley, cruising some neighborhoods, trying to see if we can find where he bought the car, Way Back.

Hope to have PO #2’s name from CA DMV by then, tell Lou, see what happens.

Meanwhile, I’ve been digging in the stuff come out of storage, from back east, pulled out my old plates + frames, then put everything up on the walls around 1059 . . . + making a few additions . . . . an old mania.

And it occurred to me, last night, walking the Nasty Dog.

13-Feb? That’s the day I got 1059.

A Friday.

Three years, ago, already.

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-19-2012 at 10:40 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

The 2012 Phoenix Show

Took 1059 with us to The Phoenix Show. (1st time.)

Got kind of a late start. My So-Much-More-Than-a-Girlfriend and I began the day at 5:00 AM. Not exactly the kind of start to a quiet Sunday, as usual . . . but I explained that there are only three car events each year where I'll pretty much drop everything, try to go . . .

Monterey.

The LA Auto Show.

And The Phoenix Show.

(All the various/sundry Swaps/Reunions/Cruises, C&Cs, assorted tours, museums, and auctions---- not to mention any drop-ins-at-John’s, Xmas-with-the Geraces, etc . . . . did not come up.)

(Because I can quit any time I want to. Really. Swear.)

Anyway, we started out that day in Simi Valley, which is, like, 70 miles out. Had breakfast, showered, checked the weather, then hit the road at 6:01 --- I looked --- got to the lock-up around 7:15, pulled the car out, loaded our stuff up --- not much, actually (SMMTaG’s a light packer ). I took a minute to fill out the Registry Sign that Mr Miller posted, then? . . . we’re off.

Got to the venue ~8:30. Hey --- I figured there’d still be a line getting in . . . but . . . no. Just a small queue behind a dead Jaguar. Didn’t see a Way In, figured we’d missed member admission. So, we drove out the end of the side street, paid ten bucks, parked out back (as in WAY), walked up to the entrance, saw some cars getting in under some tape/through a side gate, asked about entry --- ‘better hurry’ --- walked back, got the car, drove on up, ‘nother twenty. . . . and we’re in!

Ran a gauntlet of swappers, tip-toed around/through/by, found us a nice spot out in back (WAY), parked, stretched, smooched, strolled.

Bright sun, cloudless sky, warm . . . . got up in the 80s.

Really nice time. Saw lotsa cars. Visited with some friends --- John, Marco (car’s running b!tchin, My Friend), Bob, Ritchie, Jerry --- even found a little something to buy/take home.

Lou --- PO #3 --- wasn’t able to make it, this time . . . Amelia Island and Sebring. ‘Nother time.

Meanwhile, I’m waiting to hear from CA DMV . . . .

PO #2

Rick

1) On the lawn

2) In the venue . . . my Co-pilot and John

3) Got a new frame . . . $125

4) Got back an Old One --- my first . . . priceless
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-05-2012 at 07:01 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

nice write up as always Rick

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Rick, feels strange calling you by your first name since I am new here. Great story and great writing. I read from start to finish today and I am wanting more. Thank you