Page 37 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

The Scheel kinda lays me back in the car --- I prefer more upright, closer, steering wheel in my chest . . . here, it’s more of a reach, but still comfortable, and my knees clear the wheel better and the shifter's handier, too. Also, Old School buckets grab/hold me by my butt --- and tightly --- vs thighs + shoulders like modern seats do --- like the Recaro SPG in my Every Day. I don’t miss the headrest . . . although I’m well aware that its not there
    Hi Rick, give it a try.
    Put the sliders on the front in the 2nd hole from the top and on the rear in the 4th hole. Although raising you by an inch or so it tilts the seat forward making it more upright.

Cheers

Uli

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    . . . Put the sliders on the front in the 2nd hole from the top and on the rear in the 4th hole . . . tilts the seat forward making it more upright . . .
    Hey, Uli . . .

Yeah --- I might still do some tweaking/adjusting. Taking the car to Pomona this week-end --- BIG swap-meet/'auto-jumble' event going on there . . . chance to drive some longer distances/times . . . see how I do

Meanwhile . . . some weight data . . .

Old (original) seat + rails =
    43.8 lbs/19.9 kg

Scheel seat + Scheel sliders + Scheel (?) console bracket + Scheel (??) head-rest =
    12.2 lbs/5.6 kg + 5.4 lbs/2.5 kg + 6.6 lbs/3.0 kg + 4.2 lbs/1.9 kg =
    28.4 lbs/12.9 kg

Difference = 15.4 lbs/6.9 kg

So, counting 1059’s half-tank weight as . . . .
    2360 lbs/1070 kg

minus
    15.4 lbs/6.9 kg

equals
    2344.6 lbs/1061.1 kg

Also, The Money . . .

Scheel seat w/ Scheel ltwt sliders w/Scheel (??) head-rest + re-upholstery w/ shipping (fr EU) = $890 + $420
    Scheel (?) console/bracket w/ shipping (fr ") = $201
    Miscellaneous = ~$35.00

Total = $1546

(. . . . about a $100/lb)

And Time. I first found out about + bought the seat back in September (!), with sliders, luckily. After ding-donging around, got the console/bracket in May, then did the install myself over about a 3-week period . . . I know, I know --- but I’m usually doing all this during the week, after work, etc . . . plus, I’m pretty careful with this stuff

I mean, all the bits I’m using here are old . . . waaaay old . . . found by a man I’ve never met, from people I’ve never heard of, in places I don’t have any access to. And all this stuff --- seat, sliders, console/bracket, add-on head-rest (!) --- is Scheel --- unique --- even here on The Registry . . . not the usual more recognized/sought-after/prized/expensive Recaro

Or ‘after-market.’ Or re-production. Nothing wrong with using New Stuff if that’s all one can find, all that’s available. And I’m sure I’ll get to some point where all I’ll be able to find/buy/install/afford is New Stuff . . .

. . . but I’m not there, yet

(Oh, yeah . . . $172/mo)

Last edited by LongRanger; 06-01-2012 at 07:09 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Pomona, 03-Jun

Went to the Pomona Swap Meet this past Sunday --- been a coupla years . . . and this was my first time w/ 1059

Got up at 3:00 A-OMG-M, dressed, coupla kisses, BIG hug, no breakfast --- on the road by 3:14

Took the Every Day from Simi to collect the car in Lake Forest --- cool, 60s, June Gloom, got to the lock-up ~4:30, tanked + coupla Choco-milks, then got + fired-up 1059, headed out, ‘nother ~45 min to Pomona. Not much traffic that early on a Sunday, anyway . . . although I did manage to attract one Mall-Cop/Security-type/ Ding-dong on his way home (to the trailer park/half-way house) . . . came flying in from 4 lanes over (!) --- just to cut me off, sit in front o’ me --- nice . . .

Anyway, 1059 ran fine . . . loves-loves-loves the freeway. Me, too. Small, lithe, dark, and if no one’s looking for us --- pretty innocuous . . . usually over in the far right, and --- after Ding-dong . . . hauling

('Can't cut-off what you can't catch')

Good chance to review the Scheel

Overall? Good
    1) Seat ‘pocket’ fits me fine, sides especially, easy to move around in, with firm foam, grippy corduroy
    2) Sit tall, and headliner is close still, but clear
    3) Easy to use the wheel + shifter
    4) Found my upper back/shoulders getting tired on the way back --- prolly from ‘reaching’ for the wheel . . . need to get another inch or so closer, keep my back/shoulders better supported by the back cushion
    5) Car rides a lot better, too. Even with the bagged-out KONIs, 1059 just oozes over the rough stuff, and with a fresh Scheel, freshly/firmly bolted-in, no more secondary wiggling around as the car rolls over stuff . . . the best part of the whole install. 1059 feels more settled + secure

Still need to tweak some more . . . . but I could do 14+ hours in there, no problem

Got there kinda late, this time --- just after 5:30 . . . one of the freeways was closed --- like, all-5-lanes-(!!!)-kinda-closed . . . so that held me up a little. Anyway, got there, pulled in, parked-up . . . . and ran into ‘Jonathan.’

We got to talking, and it turns out that Jonathan has a coupla Early 911s, including what sounded an awful lot like a certain ’69 S . . .

. . . 119300373

!!!

. . . ex-Cris Huergas, ex-John Rice, ex-Scott-somebody-or-‘nother --- the car I tried to buy off of eBay, as described in post #5. Jonathan mentioned eBay and I told him I’d bid the car to $55k, lost, tried to contact the winning bidder, but pffttt!!! --- nothing. Jonathan then told me that the car had sold twice more since, that he’d picked it up in Florida (<$50k?), that it had deteriorated some --- krustiness in the bumper, etc --- minor . . . and that the car was heading to TRE for some freshening

Pinged Dave B @TRE . . . nothing --- he said ‘TLG,’ maybe? So I called/talked to Tony . . . nothing

Interesting conversation about an interesting car that I still haven’t seen in the metal . . . . but still remember

And, all that yapping cost me a reeeeeally cool frame . . . that I just missed spotting/buying --- by, like, 5 minutes

Anyway, did the (rather sorry) air-cooled section of The Swamp, spotted/talked to Jay the Frame Guy (last spotted/talked to at last The Lit Meet), told some stories, snapped some pics, found some Little Somethings, then . . . . . split

My new habit is to leave any yard sale/pawn shop/swap meet/sh!t-for-sale event when my money runs out . . . . which, in this case, happened around 7:30

I was hoping to see some contact info from Jonathan stuck to my ‘shield, but . . . . . hhhh

Blasted-off for the lock-up, put 1059 away . . . thought about 119300373 . . . and the next event

1) One That Didn't Get Away . . .

2) . . . and One That Did

3) Didn't

4) Did
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-14-2012 at 09:02 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Looking good. Love the detail. Feels like I am right there with you!

Nice seat install. I'm slightly surprised you didn't get a doddery old original R seat . .

Didja ever put the Abarth 360 in?
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Quote Originally Posted by YTNUKLR View Post
    . . . slightly surprised you didn't get a doddery old original R seat . . . . .
    Patience, My Friend . . . . patience. Besides, any Seat Deal is a pretty high tension/fear/expen$e exercise . . . and I'm good . . . for now

Quote Originally Posted by YTNUKLR View Post
    . . . Didja ever put the Abarth 360 in? . . .
    Hhhh . . . yeah --- not, yet. Mark's bit's a touch tweaked --- nothing fatal . . . but before I stick it in? --- 'll need some love/attention. Plus, its silver --- and I am soooo 'bout BLACK. So, (possible) re-finishing + (required) de-tweakafication = more than an afternoon project. Wall Art, for now . . . but also a nice sample to compare other fauxbarths against

Mean time . . . . we're just drivin' . . . .

Last edited by LongRanger; 01-18-2013 at 07:42 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Allred got away?

'Tis a shame...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    . . . Allred got away?

'Tis a shame... . . .
    Nuh-uh --------- did NOT!

. . . and we're droppin' by Friday . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Nuh-uh --------- did NOT!

. . . and we're droppin' by Friday . . .
    Get your Convincing Pants on, because it's going to take some work.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Closer

Heard back from Bundesamt für Strassen ASTRA --- Switzerland . . .

MOFIS Halter- /Fahrzeugauskunft

Dated 14.05.2012

Mazza Hans
    Braemabueelstr.3
    7270 Davos Platz

IV/AVCode Kanton . . . . . A GR
    Datum . . . . . . . . . 28.02.1982
    1. IV-Kanton . . . . . . . . . BL
    1. IV-Staat
    1. IV-Datum . . . . . 29.12.1971
    Halterartwechsel . . 04.11.1981 . . .

Not much of a record. But then again --- this was 40-years ago, so . . .

Don't speak bureaucrat --- much less Swiss bureaucrat --- but I interpret this record to indicate that 1059 was first registered in CH on 29-Dec, 1971, and removed from the registration records on 28-Feb, 1982

What's interesting is the term 'Halterartwechsel' . . . change of holder (owner) type. And also the date . . . 04-Nov, 1981

CA DMV shows 1059 as being first registered there on 03-Mar, 1984 --- so there's quite a gap --- more than 2 years . . . before she gets her CA tags

More interestingly, 1059 drops off the Swiss system in '82 ---- waaaaay off from the reported '70s ski-trip purchase story that I've been told

Still . . . Switzerland . . .

. . . and now --- add Hans Mazza to the list of POs to find/de-brief . . .

Hhhh
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-14-2012 at 01:24 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

'Dear, Sir . . .'

. . . . Mazza Hans
    casa al Calabrone
    6576 Gerra (Gambarogno)
    ph: 091 794 14 17

Letter --- w/pic --- 'll go out this week . . .

We Can Be Heroes