Page 40 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Hey Rick, may I suggest you ditch the "PERMA-TUNE" and replace it with a proper Bosch 3pin CDI? You know, to keep it more original...
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    1) and 2) Engine number 6301439 . . . with a clean(er) face

3) and 4). . . lotta body shop still back there . . .

5) Original sound blanket

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyrE View Post
    . . . may I suggest you ditch the "PERMA-TUNE" and replace it with a proper Bosch 3pin CDI? You know, to keep it more original... . . .

'On the list'

Car has a history of intermittent tach/ignition issues, along w/ some other instrumentation stuff --- going back to the original PPI . . . a Future Kluster

Meanwhile? . . . I just wanna cut down on some of the piddling

We Can Be Heroes

The car thanks you Rick.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Even More 2012 Jul Service

Stopped by TLG again, last Friday . . . to visit, see how things were going

Marco filled me in . . .

HE’s had arrived, already been installed, looked/worked/sounded great --- so good that Marco didn’t re-finish them . . . so they look like they fit right in with the rest of the Nasty Car

Engine compartment got all cleaned-up, and the motor's already back in, car’s running

The Vintage Scheel’s seat bracket had broken, so that’d been welded-up, then powder-coated. (I’d mentioned/suggested Krylon --- but Marco doesn’t quite roll that way)

New shocks fitted

1059's basically done. Except for running on 5 cylinders --- something in the replacement injector/circuit . . . so Marco needed some more time. Fine w/ me

I’d asked if they’d driven the car --- and about the vibration . . . apparently still there. Tony asked about the Vreds, but that conversation got off-track . . . may have a tire issue?

Marco showed me the old HEs . . . alien autopsy . . . one, rusted/starting to burn thru at coupla the collector pipes, the other was rusted-thru at the sheet metal for the heater box’ shrouding . . . still, not bad for 170k kms-, 41-years-, 5 owners-, and two continents-worth of use. Then again, all this stuff had started to sound more like a party favor, than a Porsche, so . . .

Went over, visited w/ John. Lots o’ cars in the shop --- he’s busy --- Tony + Marco, too . . . enough that John’s taking-over his old shop . . . the space that he’d just left, across the way. Watched him as tickled the pass-side door to Mr Bosworth’s Light Yellow S/T . . . love those gaps

Then, wandered back over to Marco’s, walked/talked/toured the shop . . . Tony, too. Really enjoy this part --- looking at stuff, asking questions, telling stories --- like, there was this car there that Tony had known/worked-on for 20-plus years. Now Marco was working on it.

1059’s family

1) thru 3) Left-side HE w/ pin-holes in the exh collector tubes + heater box. This looks minor --- but all the un-perforated metal is less-than paper thin . . . done

4) Right-side heat box shrouding . . . more rust than not

5) Moment of Truth for Light Yellow S/T's pass door
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

My Little Marvel . . .

. . . came back from SONY service. Total cost of the repair = $154

Model number = DSC-T9. Zeiss optics, 3X zoom. Not the gonzo-megapixel counts of newer units, but easy-to-handle + use, super-(like, fits in my shirt pocket) small, great pics, and I've gotten really used to it. Paid-for, too

Virtually every shot I've taken for the last 6-7 years has been taken w/ this Little Marvel. Truth is . . . it was acting-up for about a year before it finally crapped-out --- auto-focus failed, along w/ some sort of internal mechanical fault

All fixed now
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-10-2012 at 05:27 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

The camera behind the pictures finally gets its spotlight. Question is, Is the Sony worried with being overtaken with the one that shot these?
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Repair/re-use/re-cycle

Quote Originally Posted by orange911 View Post
    . . . Is the Sony worried with being overtaken with the one that shot these? . . .
    Hey, Olin . . .

No

The SONY is super-small + -handy . . . one hand is all I need to shoot, + any adjustments take one finger. (I take pictures when I'm driving ferrcryinoutloud --- no time to d!ck w/ 'special features')

Slick to work, too --- slide down the cover = action!

Durable + expensive-feeling --- I basically use + destroy stuff, so, for this Little Marvel to've survived in any condition, after 7-years . . . w/ all the stupid stuff I've done w/ it? . . . tells me something. One Good Tool

For comparison, the camera that shot the SONY is bigger (anything/everything is, really --- just look at it!) + bulky, plasticky + cheap-feeling, and has a harder time shooting really close

Plus? When I found out that I can get a 7-year-old obsolete camera repaired in 10-days for $150? . . . that's WAY cheaper than any $250 latest/greatest camera that I can't

. . . or the $800 'space-shot' --- also SONY . . . that I was considering

Besides . . . I really feel better repairing/re-using/re-cycling something old . . . .

. . . like the HEs . . .

. . . like 1059 . . .

Last edited by LongRanger; 09-11-2012 at 08:28 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Finish 2012 Jul Service

Picked-up 1059 on Saturday, 15-Sep. Marco’d finished the work already a few days before, but it was just easier for us to swing by on the week-end, take care o’ business . . .

Total cost for this service = $5190.55

I wouldn’t exactly call the vehicle a ‘rolling restoration’ . . . but there was some pretty comprehensive work that needed getting done

Oil leaks were what got all this started. And the biggest part of the total. Just the time/labor to remove + install the engine, w/ all the gaskets + seals + belts + senders + lines + injection pump + while-we're-in-there stuff made up ~$1400

Then came shocks --- time/labor = ~$300

Then there was . . . well --- fixing everything else . . . the speedo cable, engine mounts, the busted seat frame, oil lines, throttle linkage, the stripped injector, replacing the whole exhaust system, fixing one o’ the horns --- even taking care of a saggy rear-view! And did I mention the powder-coating?

Oh yeah --- and don’t forget . . . . making sure that everything actually fits + works + stays that way

Now throw in some bits. (I counted 22 --- not including the oil + filter) Biggest items were the Leistritz + used HEs = $1k, followed by the KONIs = ~$1k --- $2900-worth, all in

But what doesn’t show-up --- what never does . . . is all the attention and patience and care that were lavished on this old well-used Nasty Car . . .

I mean --- with all the Other Stuff that Tony and Marco have going on in their store . . . . when I came by, to pick ‘er up . . . 1059 was just as neat as a little pin, beautiful

And Boy --- does she run!

It seems every time 1059 comes in for stuff . . . she always leaves a little smoother, a bit tighter, zoomier

We tip-toed down the street, got on the freeway to head home. I haven’t been in the Nasty Car for a month-and-a-half, and I was missing the whole experience of piloting the little monster. I remember the way things worked, how they felt, the smells and the sounds. It‘s all still there, all familiar . . .

. . . and all different

There’s an extra set of vibrations now, a steady + light timpani out of the motor, tingles my butt. And the howling/growling/back-lash from the diff-cum-LSD’s gone quiet. Which is weird ‘cause I would think, what with new motor mounts . . . . all that pandemonium would pick-up, if anything . . . not disappear. Whatever

Motor pulls smoother than ever. I remember the buck this thing used to give – especially at low rpm . . . . through the floor, through the seat, the shifter, even the pedals. Being anything-less-than-measured with the throttle --- and the whole car would flinch --- then kick. Now? A turbine, less vibration, even from <3000 . . . more ‘spool’ that 'spit.' Sounds nice, too. Looking at the old pipes, I was expecting something to sound different . . . but the same voice is there, just as mellow, tuneful --- still big + woofy

Getting on the freeway felt like gliding. 1059’s not very big . . . so moving down the ramp, a quick glance left, bring up some revs/speed --- then merging-into-etc . . . are not high-energy/-tension activities. Light traffic, moving along well enough . . . . and the speedo works, again --- 120 kph = 75 mph

4th gear's all it takes, seems

Even keeping in mind that the tach is considered suspect (still) . . . car is loafing

My Ride gets a little tied-up in some traffic, up ahead . . . no problem. Move right, a little more throttle --- and we're clear. Way

‘At’s more like it! ‘Nother little clot o’ cars stumbles up? Gotcha covered . . .

WoooooooAAAAHHRRRRrrrrrrrrr --- and we’re around

Little Car. Big Noise

Nothing neck-snapping about this --- any of it. No jolt of power. Nothing physical, really. The pace is rheostatic --- electric . . . power climbing, energy building, exciting --- but mostly from inside. Except for the pace, the way we pass --- and the sound, maybe . . . . no one would suspect that anything unusual was going on . . . just gliding by . . .

. . . faster

Wanding the ‘box into 5th, the urgency drops . . . and energy in the cab settles to a purr

I’m always surprised by just how really fast these cars are. Coming back Sunday, I wanted to use the car harder. In traffic. Even as compact as she is, 1059 makes a great GT . . . . and just destroys distance. I’m used to the seat, now --- fits me perfect. And I’ve decided that the wheel needs to come up closer --- another inch or so? . . . so I’m sitting up/forward, riding right on my butt, in the pocket of the seat, hanging on to the wheel. Kinda physical, and could be tiring . . . but it’s not

At 3000 in 5th . . . engine’s snoring along, comfortably. Car still feels alert, nibbling over the road with the wonderful/supple ride 911s are so famous for --- fresh/restored, now. That Shake's gone, too --- so Marco was right . . . new shocks did the trick. Only a liiiiittle tickle left . . . and Marco says that the next time the motor's out, we could re-balance the clutch + flywheel --- take car o' that

But what I really like? . . . is the funky/nervous/trembly way 1059 knuckle-balls down the highway. Pass any car or truck --- and I ‘feel’ the wake as we course by . . . the car wafting/deflecting/fluttering in the airstream. Bigger Rigs can seem to shove the car a foot sideways. All cars do this, I’m sure . . . but in this small car --- no spoilers or wings or wide tires . . . being in traffic is a different experience . . . moving + maneuvering + jostling in/through a crowd . . . a dragonfly among the rhinoceri

And a good reason to go fast. Most cars just loom over us. It’s still unsettling, watching people pull up behind me, when we’re stopped at a light. Close-quarters stuff in heavy + stop-and-go traffic is nuts. So, driving for open road, without distraction --- or opponent . . . is reason enough to pick out the gaps between cars, wand up a gear, go someplace --- away . . . .

. . . faster

Thank you Tom Butler (tom1394racing) at Rennshop . . . your exchangers look/fit/work wonderfully. I’ll take + post some pics, when I can get the lift back

Also --- thanks to Tim (frevywilson), over on Pelican, for the Leistritz . . . perfect timing, Sir

And a Very Big Thanks to Marco @TLG

Marvelous work, My Friend . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Than a Car-wash . . .

Some pics of the Finished Job . . .

1) thru 3) 1059's eng# 6301439, after Jul 2012 Service

4) OG sound blanket, mentioned earlier. Bryce (beh911) made some observations that, apparently, textures on these changed since '69 --- at least, when compared w/ US-spec vehicles
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-27-2012 at 07:06 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Not going to Pebble, maybe --- OK, never . . . but, at least everybody's all dusted-off, hooked-up and working . . .

1) replacement pass-side exh, new oil lines, shiny KONI

2) Leistritz all strapped-in . . . motor dry and tidy

I suppose I could've painted/re-finished some o' this stuff --- spiffed it up a little bit. But this is where I live. Any extra cosmetics might look nice for a few months, but then ---- pfft! I'd trash it, using it . . . and I'm no muffler washer

I'm just happy to've knocked-down some of the piddles!
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-24-2012 at 12:22 PM.

We Can Be Heroes