Page 45 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

I would bet that given the radio installed the right side Antenna is likely to be correct as it is likely to be an automatic one. Factory 100 delivery is a real bonus. It may be a factory collection for a genuine client but in later years and especially for Australia where I have records these are shown as the country or dealer codes where ordered from with a tourist delivery special note. I will check some records when I am next at home. Othwise factory use 100 is usually reserved to my knowledge for research dept, competition dept (unlikely in this case) , personal executive use (possible as these are usually company cars for one year and a real bonus if it is one and would almost certainly have Porsche as the first registered owner) and maybe press dept. ( also possible but they usually have low numbered cars) As far as I know dealer demo cars had dealer codes not factory codes but maybe that is different if the deler was in Stuttgart although even in that case I would have expected a Stuttgart dealer code on it
    Well worth persevering with the chase.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Rick

according to the codes in the RS book, at least in 1972 and 1973 (and i believe all along) code 100 means "factory OWNED" ie the first registered owner was Porsche itself for internal use. dealers in Germany were codes 111 to 116 and i would have thought that any demo car (apart from sales dept for journalists) would be on the latter codes.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Kardex Reply.2

I'm a little behind on my correspondence . . . here's my latest exchange

. . . Dear Mr Kreiskott

1) I believe that service and warranty information may be part of your record? When the car was being re-finished, there were some repairs noted, including a replacement left front fender, and also an expert repair of the left rear fender, using methods and materials not used since the ‘70s. Do your records note any collision repairs being performed by Porsche?
    we just have information about delivery status,but no records about repairs,service...

2) ‘listed dealer 100 = factory use’ Fascinating reference. What does it mean? Was 1059 collected by a Customer at the factory? --- or is that a different option code? Honestly . . . I have never read/heard of this reference before.
    100 means that the car was used for factory purposes,later sold to private customer, but no information for what the car was used in the factory

3) In speaking with some of the previous owners --- and yes, several are still available! . . . there was mention made of an Austrian Dealer identification appearing on the car’s windshield, in years past. Are there any references to Österreich in your records?
    no information about the history!

4) Regarding the Blaupunkt Köln . . . is there any information or specifications/illustrations about how this radio was installed? Also what kind of antenna it was installed with, and on which side? The radio and antenna have been replaced --- possibly more than once . . . and a manual antenna is now on the right fender. Was a power antenna used with a Köln? Or was that a separate option code?
    Radio Blaupunkt Köln was mounted at same place your picture shows, electric antenna right

for radio see:
    www.oldtimerradio.de
    www.koenigs-klassik.de
    www.autoradio-wagner.de

mit freundlichen Grüßen
    . . .

Radio seems to be the easy part. Coupla people've already stepped-up w/ info on what + where to get --- even my Correspondent, above. Seems affordable + surprisingly available, too

Antenna. Ed Mayo (edmayo) brought up the subject of the manual-vs-electric antenna + left-vs-right, previously. Seeing 1059's antenna on the right + the cluster of wires under the dash, I was hoping that mine was a dealer-installed radio + that I could easily/guiltlessly re-move + ditch. Not now. Not sure how an electric antenna gets wired/installed, but I'm hoping that there's a picture w/description in one of the Parts Manuals of what's required + pns + how to, etc. Good thing I didn't have that antenna + hole removed from the fender when John was doing the re-finish

Hhhh. Not a 'radio' kinda Guy (as in --- at ALL), but . . . that's how 1059 1st came, so . . .

And the above correspondence confirms Hugh's (HughH) deciphering of the listed dealer 100. I'm thinking 1059 may've been a loaner/hack for a Customer's car that was in for service. Or, at best --- some Company Man's perk . . . Accounting-, HR-, Purchasing-Big Shot, something like that

Or maybe --- at some point . . . some Porsche employee's purchase? Employee discount + all that

Next inquiry . . .

. . . was Hans Mazza ever an employee of Dr.Ing.h.c.F.Porsche KG Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen?

He did keep his Old Car for a long time . . .

. . . and what's w/ Austria?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-18-2013 at 10:34 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

One of the best threads I have ever read on any motoring forum. It has taken a few days to get through but what a journey you have had Rick. I hope you get to the bottom of all of the cars history. Truly fascinating and what a lovely 911 you have.

Name:  IMGP0504.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  154.6 KBRick,
    Just found your thread and haven't had time to go through and read it all, but I will in the next few days. Thought you would be interested to know that I have 1969 911S No. "Ten Seventy" sitting in my garage in Ventura, Ca. for the past 38 years. I call it storage but my Porsche friends call it neglect.
    In May of 1969, the singer Johnny Rivers bought this car from Competition Motors in Hollywood. Later sold it to Anthony Quinn. I bought the car in LA in December of 1974 for $3,ooo. It was in good shape but the original wheels and the radio were gone, and don't ask me where the original Aluminum deck lid went. It has a sunroof, 3 point seatbelts and heated rear window. Original color was Coffee (or Cocoa) Brown, but it was painted two times before I got in in '74. Before I parked it I had the trans rebuilt. In late 1975, a minor bumper bender incident sent it to the garage, where it has been ever since. It has 75,000 on the odometer.
    In 1982 I had the engine rebuilt, and that is how it sits today. Never started the engine or even put oil in it. This car was on the road less than seven years, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that there isn't much rust. The interior has Recaro leather seats and beautiful tan carpet. I will include a few pictures. BTW, everything missing in the photo is in the garage. This is a very complete car with original everything but the bumper, wheels and decklid (but I have recently bought one of the reproduction Al. decklids so I can sleep at night, and a Becker Grand Prix radio). Complete restoration in the next year or so, so I can leave it for my children.
    Bob B

Name:  IMGP0495.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  124.5 KBName:  IMGP0501.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  129.9 KBName:  IMGP0435.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  132.3 KBName:  IMGP0513.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  52.3 KB
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 11-27-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Secret Agent

Quote Originally Posted by SIMI BOB View Post
    . . . Just found your thread . . . Thought you would be interested to know that I have 1969 911S No. "Ten Seventy" sitting in my garage in Ventura, Ca. for the past 38 years . . . In May of 1969, the singer Johnny Rivers bought this car from Competition Motors . . . sold it to Anthony Quinn. I bought the car in . . . 1974 for $3,ooo . . . good shape . . . original wheels and the radio were gone, and . . . the original Aluminum deck lid . . . has a sunroof, 3 point seatbelts and heated rear window . . . Sepia Brown, but it was painted two times . . . trans rebuilt. In late 1975, a minor bumper bender incident sent it to the garage . . . 65,000 . . .
    . . . In 1982 I had the engine rebuilt . . . Never started . . . or even put oil in it. . . . on the road less than seven years . . . keeping my fingers crossed that there isn't much rust . . . leather seats and beautiful gold carpet . . . Complete restoration in the next year or so, so I can leave it for my children . . .
    I've been noticing, in the last coupla months, all the Old Cars that are coming out --- of garages + storage, after being stashed-away for years . . . now showing up --- here --- on our site . . . for the first time, anywhere . . . getting pulled-out + dusted-off, put back together + back on the road . . . back in action

I think that You Guys --- your cars + your Stories . . . are the best/most exciting part of Our Little Corner

Thank you for making my day, Bob. And good luck with 1070. Please post . . .

. . . and remember --- picture = 1000 words

PS. A coupla months back, I started adding a link, to some YouTube videos, to my signature --- that little script that appears at the bottom of all my posts . . . old favorites, to add in a little sound-track. For me, mostly. Stuff that I'd never hear . . . if I didn't put it up here

Wasn't sure how often I'd change the link, change the tune --- but the next one I was thinking about? . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXGAif4dKhs

Thanks, again, Bob
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-20-2013 at 12:24 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

SIMIBOB,

I've noticed your car in the registry database and the 'Johnny Rivers' note in the comments section of your entry. Always wondered about it.

I think your post is a perfect intro for your own thread. A car like yours has an interesting story to document and share.

ESSES article? Or just start a thread of your own and post to it when you can?

I agree with Rick that the best aspect of this group is the sharing of our experiences with our cars and the lives they have led before us.

Thanks for posting

Name:  johnny-rivers-rockin-pneumonia-boogie-woogie-flu-united-artists-2.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  71.1 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Radio Brain . . .

Came across this thread, yesterday --- Blaupunkt date-codes . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...date-code-help

Quote Originally Posted by qotsa View Post
    In addition fourth letter tell the year of production and a letter can help you too. X for 68, A for 69, B for 70...
    . . . confirms some other information I'd received + real helpful . . . especially now that I 'need' a radio

Another Blaupunkt thread, also useful . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-radio-details

And an Olde Threade . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...4439-Car-Radio

. . . w/ a link to . . .
    http://www.oldautoradio.com/NWindexD...ORSCHE&year=70

. . . and another --- w/ a Pelican thread lined, as well . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...riginal-radios

And the latest --- from Uli . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Blaupunkt-Koln

Amazing stuff
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-08-2014 at 02:18 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Amag

I didn't forget about this . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    . . . if you right to AMAG Switzerland (Porsche Importer), they send you a copy of the factory Kardex card, this service is usually free. Again, only if you have an (ex-) swiss car and in 1970 it was imported by them . . .
    . . . but was hoping/trying to skip this step, maybe get to it later

Well . . . later = now

Some interesting info about AMAG --- Auto und Motoren AktienGesellschaft . . . already here --- like this thread . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...G-lauf-No.5591

Contacts/resources, addresses, and . . . Wagenkarte

We Can Be Heroes

Jan-Feb, '13

Busy 6-or-so weeks . . .

First --- Business . . .
    ..Paid my Haggerty premium. $105k (still) agreed value = $989
    ..CA reg also turned-up = $240, due in Apr

(. . . = what it costs just to park The Nasty Car)

Gulp!

Next, Bits . . .
    ..Purchased 80mm hub + hardware from Zuffenhaus = $150 + shipping, etc

Swapping in a same-dia MoMo steering wheel (~360 mm --- I think) . . . just trying to move everything out another inch (?) from the dash so that I can maybe get my gams up under the wheel + move the bikini seat up a bit + maybe squish in a liiiittle closer = be more comfortable. (Did I really just say that?) Anyway, gonna try to get all the bits + installed + fettled before The Phoenix Show, so . . .

Other Stuff . . .
    ..Oil . . .
    ....Added 1.5 qts of Brad Penn 20W/50 @1171 miles since Service
    ..Fuel . . .
    ....Another $57.50. MpG since Service = 18.1

If I seem to dwell/obsess on this whole topic, it’s because 1059 needs to be able to handle 277 mi w/o a fill-up/on internal fuel only between Watson Lake and Whitehorse --- the longest traveled distance between stations w/ hi-test . . . to make it to Fairbanks. (I really REALLY do NOT wanna carry any extra fuel inside the car, w/ me) Right now --- @ Real World/demonstrated fuel econ = 15.3 gallons = ~60 ltr . . . which is cutting it too d@mn close . . .

. . . = Need a Big Tank

More Other Stuff

Been in touch w/ PO #3 + PO #4 --- Lou Scalzo + Mark Allbaugh

Lou first . . .

. . . Hi old friend . . .

. . . The radio that was in the her when I bought it was a brand name called CONCORD -it was a AM-FM CASSETTE player with auto rewind -it appeared to me to be a higher end unit - The antennae was a regular non-power unit . .

. . . Do you have a e-mail or phone # for Mark Allbaugh? I would love to talk to him sometime for old time sake. As far as the windshield sticker - I don't recall any stickers any where on it - I doted over her pretty good, she was my pride and joy, and would have remembered a sticker on it, especially if it was something unique from Europe - I am 95 percent sure of this - if there was a sticker it would have been small and very faded so that you would not have been able to make it out. I will double check the couple pictures I have of it but I only have a couple and no close ups of windshield . . .

. . . Have ever had a leak down test done on the engine? I did have one done -a few weeks after I purchased her at a independent shop near Canoga Park -It showed one cylinder slightly lower than the rest -the technician thought it could had a slightly bent valve from being over-revved, but it wasn't worth the expense at the time - I was totally pleased with the way it ran at the time- it sounded great and really pulled nicely once the cams came on line above 3500 rpm or so . . .

. . . going to the Amelia Island Concourse which is coming up March 8-10, this is a Pebble Beach quality show - nicest for sure on the East Coast, This year they are featuring the 911 this year, it will be fantastic for sure and there will be a lot of unique examples for sure, check it out on Amelia Island Concourse.com They are also having a seminar in one of the ballrooms on Saturday about the 911 -with many of the original Drivers and Engineers etc, as speakers - Could you possibly attend? I could get you a buddy pass on a flight from L.A. at a . . . discounted rate. . . . BTW I am still writing articles for the PCA Carolinas Region - talk soon . . .

Jeez . . . and after all the schmoozing + whining I did to weasel my way into that PCA Dealio, too . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...rs-of-911-.-.-.

Hhh

Well . . . at least I get to take Zovig w/me to Fontana

And? --- Drive The Nasty Car!

Meanwhile . . . called/briefly talked to Mark . . . caught him out jogging

I’d already e-mailed him, a day-or-so before --- sticker (again) . . . 'anything you can remember about it . . . . size, color, location of any writing, even drawing a picture . . . ’ (--- you know . . . desperate), so we did a quick howdy + re-cap --- option codes, Köln + power antenna + dealer 100, etc, then got around to talking about the windshield sticker, again . . . and as soon as I mentioned ‘delivered in Dec ’69’? . . .

--- ‘oh yeah, THAT was on the sticker!'

Short-version --- Mark described this thing as being roundish, ~3 in dia, ‘see-thru,’ with ‘1969’ written in a pale color, possibly white, driver’s side, low. He musta seen this thing on the car for years --- up until he painted it + pulled that old windshield out, but . . . memories fade

To any of our Esteemed European Membership --- next time You Guys go to any Old-timer Porsche Shows . . . . help a Brother out? . . . look + ask around? I'm thinking that there just might be an Old Porsche running around w/ one o' those stickers still stuck to its 'shield, somewhere Out Yonder

And speaking of years + memories . . .

. . . 13-Feb = Four Years w/ 1059

Time so flies
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-22-2013 at 04:49 PM.

We Can Be Heroes