Page 54 of 109 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

More One . . .

. . . on The One

There’re some peaks, just to the West --- outta place/lumpy/bread-loafy . . . but dramatic, still. They remind me of Morro Rock --- but I don’t know their names . . . and I’ve been coming this way for almost 40 years, too. I like seeing them, again . . . familiar

Further along North, the fields close, then draw back --- we’re running in a valley, w/ranch land + farms + country roads . . . then we spill out + onto the coast. And Morro Bay . . . the one w/ the power plant’s three stacks

Then Cayucos, on the hillside, along the way . . . and the chain-link + the homes w/ no trees, power-lines hanging. And the now the ocean, close + trying to fog . . . cooler, here . . . and I turn on the heat

With so little traffic, + the road gliding down . . . the Pace picks up. Never see Law, here, so --- the passing gets more authoritative

Line up

Close up

Signal

Bam!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

Monday = Car Day

. . . = glide . . .

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

Harmony, CA . . .

. . . population = 18

Note the psyclistes
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-30-2013 at 08:04 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

From Cayucos, The One tucks inland . . . back into ranchland, a few sweeps, then --- houses-on-the-hillsides = Cambria . . . a cute almost-resort-type town. You can’t see much of it from the road . . . but there's a tidy little downtown w/ shops + crafty places, small restaurants, a few hotels on the beachfront, + gas. Looked-into buying property here, w/ The X, some years back. At that time, we were told that there was 7-year wait for municipal water . . . but you’d never know, driving. Gets hot here, too . . . but not today

The One rolls on, North, through the hills + past the trees . . . then, dry grassy space . . . and finally the coast --- w/ surf rolling in . . . glimpses of beach --- out-of-sight, almost . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-02-2013 at 05:28 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More One . .

San Simeon

Citizen Hearst

The jetty was his --- and everything else . . . as far as he could see

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

Once more, inland . . . fewer sweeps --- and longer

Some scenic turn-outs . . . . but any traffic is usually seen from a distance

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

I love Mondays

We Can Be Heroes

The nine sisters.....I'm moving to Shell Beach in about 9 months....
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . on The One

There’re some peaks, just to the West --- outta place/lumpy/bread-loafy . . . but dramatic, still. They remind me of Morro Rock --- but I don’t know their names . . . and I’ve been coming this way for almost 40 years, too. I like seeing them, again . . . familiar

Further along North, the fields close, then draw back --- we’re running in a valley, w/ranch land + farms + country roads . . . then we spill out + onto the coast. And Morro Bay . . . the one w/ the power plant’s three stacks

Then Cayucos, on the hillside, along the way . . . and the chain-link + the homes w/ no trees, power-lines hanging. And the now the ocean, close + trying to fog . . . cooler, here . . . and I turn on the heat

With so little traffic, + the road gliding down . . . the Pace picks up. Never see Law, here, so --- the passing gets more authoritative

Line up

Close up

Signal

Bam!
    1969 912 tangerine coupe 82K original miles
    1974 911 red targa 71K original miles

Tom Michelsen
    Central Coast Heaven

Shell Beach, California

More One . . .

From San Simeon, The One wheels West, then comes around North, again

Up Here, this is all formally called the Cabrillo Highway --- after the first European to navigate this coast . . . four-and-a-half centuries ago. Amazing to see such place so open, still

Kinda the most relaxing part, here. Only scattered civilization, from now on. One fuel stop . . . but the next real town is prolly Big Sur --- another 60 mi/100 km away . . . + Monterey’s 30 mi/50 km further

I feel like a kite. This is the fastest stretch --- also, the last place to pass easily. Road’s almost always wide-open, here. Cattle in the pastures . . . but I’ve never seen one loose = past the fence. I have seen Tourist-Goofballs park-up on the road-side, then --- dart across (!!) . . . to see the rocks or the waves or the elephant seals or whatever would prompt someone to stop/dart. And when it rains, the low-points can fill w/ water. I love bombing through here, but . . . try to stay smart

Then . . .

. . . juuuuust when This Place is at its emptiest . . . and the time and the traffic and the distractions are pretty-much gone/forgotten . . . and the land and the sea and the sky --- and The One . . . all fuse grey in the distance . . .

. . . there’s this oooooooooooone last fast-little sweeper . . . bends under some trees, carves by a hill/berm, leaving me facing this wall of stacked green ---

Been waiting for this . . . all morning . . .

. . . for months

Same Place = Same Thrill

. . . there’s this dot of bright yellow --- sorta pops-up + outta the back-round --- almost outta nowhere, jarring

Yellow diamond w/ 35 + Big J --- hooking down/right

And behind it = another arrow --- straight right, this time --- an exclamation point ---->

I duck in + charge past the diamond, change down, take a deep breath, and then? . . . .

Squeeeeze the brakes --- kinda hard

Good thing that I haven’t used ‘em much for, like, the last 10 miles

Nose nudges down, suspension settles forward --- me, too! --- tires plant --- turn in/right . . .

~10:45 AM, mi = ?

We Can Be Heroes

More One . . .

Another ---> . . . what does that tell you?

The One bolts right/dives down. Not much camber, that I remember --- but the apex is outta sight . . . and after floating along for the last few miles, this corner can really spook . . . especially if it’s foggy/wet

Try doing this at night . . .

. . . I dare you

Anyway, if this 1st corner is bit of a jolt? . . . then the next one feels like a relief --- a big fat lollypop, banked, even . . . + seen-from-above + swooped-in on, so you can build up some speed again . . . re-compose

This corner's double-striped, now. Too bad. One of my favorite places to pounce/pass

I remember when All of This --- from Hearst Castle to Carmel . . . used to be broken-yellow/pass-when-safe/etc

But I’m old

Just watch out for the psychlists

We Can Be Heroes