Page 65 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

P.s. . . .

Michael Keyser = Toad Hall Racing
    Attached Images Attached Images    

We Can Be Heroes

The original Toad Hall from The Wind in the Willows (1908), featured Mr. Toad, "The wealthy scion of Toad Hall who inherited his wealth from his late father. Although good-natured, kind-hearted and not without intelligence, he is also spoiled, conceited, and impulsive. He is prone to obsessions and crazes (such as punting, houseboats, and horse-drawn caravans), each of which in turn he becomes bored with and drops. His motoring craze eventually sees him imprisoned for theft, dangerous driving and gross impertinence to the rural police. Several chapters of the book chronicle his daring escape from prison."

Keyser was brilliant in reviving the image of an old children's story of a toad who was crazy about driving fast!
    Zed

December, 2013

Lots going on, so . . . excuse the mess

1) Lou Scalzo hooked me up w/ Michael Keyser --- the author of 'A French Kiss with Death.' Seems he + Lou got to talking @Amelia this past year, so I asked Lou for some contact info. And Lou came through

2) Anyway, talked w/ Mr Keyser a coupla times. Nice enough fella, busy, made time for me. My interest is real specific, though, and he didn't really have a lot to offer about Siffert's personal car . . . but he did tell me how to contact Brian Redman, so . . . thank you, Sir

3) Meanwhile, Bryce (beh911) sent me an interesting link w/photo . . .
    http://chronocentric.com/forums/heue...=read;id=67431

4) . . . that pretty much identifies yet Another Siffert 911 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ffert-911-.-.-.

5) The '71 Siffert 911 --- ex-Milou, aka 9111301180 . . . has been reported sold --- see post #93 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...512#post697512

6) And Bryce's exchange hooked me up w/ a web-site that put me onto a possible contact w/ none other than Jack Heuer. Here's that exchange . . .

: Those who have been following the watch media are no doubt aware
    : that Jack Heuer is celebrating his 80th birthday this year . . .
    : Jack Heuer’s contributions to the brand are immeasurable . . .
    : working out the math for the tide dial . . . peddling stopwatches . . .
    : . . . pioneering the development . . .
    : of the automatic chronograph, or striking deals with Jo Siffert,
    : Steve McQueen and Enzo Ferrari, we can say that Jack Heuer has
    : embodied the brand for over half a century . . .
    :
    : . . . I must express deep gratitude to Mr. Heuer. We have
    : been email “pen pals” for the last nine years, and
    : regardless of how silly, elementary or repetitive my questions
    : have been, I can expect to receive a reply within 24 hours . . .
    : Jack Heuer’s replies typically go far beyond the questions that I
    : have asked, to share background information or perspective, that
    : I did not even know to ask about . . .
    :
    : Jeff

Hello, Jeff . . .

I just found out about this site yesterday --- and have only begun exploring it this evening . . . when I came across your post. This will be my first. I need your help.

I'm more into cars than watches --- although I've worn my Formula 1 (quartz, sorry) for at least 20 years . . . but it's actually Mr Heuer's connection to Jo Siffert that's brought me here.

I own a 1970 Porsche 911 VIN = 9110301059 that once belonged to Jo Siffert. The car was originally ordered for Porsche's own internal use --- it was built for Versuch . . . but is documented as being sold to Mr Siffert, in April 1971. After his death, this car passed through at least 5 more owners before I found + bought it, in North Carolina, 5 years ago. I'd been trying to research the car's history for some time, but only found out what it was 7 months ago. I need some help with the history of the car.

I knew that Mr Heuer hired Mr Siffert to promote Heuer products. And, apparently --- Mr Siffert did quite a job, too. What I did not know was that the iconic Monaco that I've always associated with Steve McQueen --- was furnished to him by Mr Siffert, in France, during the making of the movie 'Le Mans.' I found this out from the book 'A French Kiss with Death,' written by Michael Keyser. And I read this book . . . to find out more about my car. There are some photographs in the book that show what I believe is my car --- Mr Siffert's Porsche . . . on the set of 'Le Mans.'

From what little I've read of Mr Siffert, he must've been quite an interesting person: accomplished, dynamic + hard-working, yet not 'flashy' somehow?. And Mr Heuer would have had his reasons to chose Mr Siffert as his spokesperson.

Which is why I need your help. I would appreciate it if you could pass along my post to Mr Heuer. I would be interested in knowing anything that he could comfortably share about Mr Siffert --- how they met, why Siffert, any reminiscences of their dealings, his passing . . . and if he remembers anything of Mr Siffert's car.

I apologize if this seems like a trivial request. I'm very anxious to find out what I can about the car, of course. (Honestly --- I'm still in shock!) But also --- I was pretty excited to hear that Mr Heuer is your regular correspondent . . . and an energetic one, too, it sounds. And, since there are so few people alive who had close contact with Mr Siffert . . . I wanted at least to try to reach out and contact Mr Heuer.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

Sincerely, etc . . .

. . . and here's the link . . .
    http://chronocentric.com/forums/heue...=read;id=67486

7) And Bryce --- if I haven't said it in as many words . . .

. . . thank you so much for your help + input. I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-27-2013 at 09:44 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

7) And Bryce --- if I haven't said it in as many words . . .

. . . thank you so much for your help + input. I really appreciate it!
    Gern geschehen!

You have a well rounded enthusiasm for our hobby... the history, the arcane details, the driving experience... and a great car. Plus you're not afraid to dig around to learn and share.

That's what it's all about in my opinion.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

. . . Not Mine

The best part about this site is the stuff that people share

A few days ago, Bryce pinged me w/ this picture that I hadn't seen before . . .

. . . one of Mr Siffert --- big side-burns + long hair, pilot shades, even dual stop-watches on the dash . . . blasting-off in a 911

We thought that it might be 1059 . . . but after eye-balling the picture a bit --- sun-roof

Not 1059

Bryce had found the picture on a site that I wasn't familiar with --- a watch site --- chronocentric . . . and so, I headed over there, posted some, and ended-up w/ a whole new set of people who are interested + may be able to help w/ finding out more about The Nasty Car

Anyway, as I was responding to some of the comments, over on chronocentric, I went back and tried to summarize some of the things that I'd found out about Mr Siffert + 1059 --- places, times . . . and photos

One of the photos that I pulled-up + re-posted there was one 1st shown here by Karim --- the still-shot from Paul Blancpain's movie . . . of the 911 w/ CH-plate = FR 10032, in a car park, at dusk. I've looked at that shot many-many times . . .

It's always interesting what people focus-in on when looking at something --- like when we're all ID'ing an old Porsche . . . this one. I'm always looking for equipment --- sun-roof, antenna, etc. Bryce picked-up on the 'weltmeisterschaft' decal, Karim --- the rear-view mirror . . . and so on

And so, last night, as I'm posting a response, I look at Blancpain's still, again . . .

. . . on a different monitor

The photo was taken under low-light --- dusk, look's like. And the picture's blurry but the interior can just be made out. I can see the lighter material of the headliner, and the black surrounds of the rear quarter windows. And something else . . .

There --- obscuring the lower-part of the pass-side rear 1/4 window surround: small/rectangular . . . probably the head-rest. I can't quite make out the color --- but it seems to be just a bit darker than whatever part of the head-liner that I can see . . . and lighter than the dash . . .

. . . and definitely not black

This FR 10032 is not 1059

I think this is Mr Siffert's Mystery 911
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ffert-911-.-.-.

. . . the car that appears on the roadside, of the set of 'Le Mans' . . .
    . . . the car that raced w/ Bell + McQueen --- through the gravel . . . and the tent . . .
    . . . the car that appears in the Le Mans paddock in 1971 . . .

. . . and in that famous photo --- of Siffert . . . in racing pants + polo + loafers, door open, casual, smiling . . .

. . . another car

Not 1059 . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-30-2013 at 03:50 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Rick,

Just finished your article in the latest issue of "Esses". A well written, enjoyable contribution. Thank you for submitting.
    -------------------------------
    # 2477

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    There --- obscuring the lower-part of the pass-side rear 1/4 window surround: small/rectangular . . . probably the head-rest. I can't quite make out the color --- but it seems to be just a bit darker than whatever part of the head-liner that I can see . . . and lighter than the dash . . .

. . . and definitely not black

This FR 10032 is not 1059
    From the angle you are looking at the (passenger)headrest it will reflect at least the white fence and perhaps also the white car next to it. To me it is definitely black, it just looks a little lighter because it is reflecting light.

I would not rule out that photo as being 1059.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    I would not rule out that photo as being 1059.
    No, it can't.
    Above pic is from June 1970, during the movie making of le Mans. Its done by swiss fellow Paul Blancpain who worked with Siffert. He provided the super 8 movie shot to Thomas who published it on another forum, while searching for his Ex-Siffert april built 1971 2.4S.

"1059" was (factory reported) sold to Siffert only in april 1971, about one and a half year later than it was built.
    Therefore, it cant be 1059 on above pic.

However, its quite possible both or all privately-owned Siffert cars shared subsequently the same private number plate FR 10032, as its usual in Switzerland.

As Rick wrote, if you trace down other period pics of a green 911S with FR 10032 plate and check which has a sunroof or not, you will see that it was not black but a metallic green car.
    At least 2 Ex Siffert cars have been metallic green (1059 and Thomas's 1971 2.4S proto), and most likely the car he drove in 1970 and 1971 1/2 was similar color, as pics reveil.

BTW, there is a last possibility is that on Blancpain shot its indeed "1059" and that in 1970 it was factory provided to Siffert, who put on his own FR plates and drove it to 1970 Le Mans...only in 1971 to finally buy it. But thats a complicated story and again, comparing several period pics does -so far- not support this possibility.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-06-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    Registry member No.773

'Factory Use'

This question will keep coming up . . .

What was 1059 originally built for?

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    . . . Factory 100 delivery is a real bonus. It may be a factory collection for a genuine client . . . Otherwise factory use 100 is usually reserved to my knowledge for research dept, competition dept (unlikely in this case) , personal executive use (possible as these are usually company cars for one year and a real bonus if it is one and would almost certainly have Porsche as the first registered owner) and maybe press dept. ( also possible but they usually have low numbered cars) . . .
    1059 is clearly not a competition vehicle --- just a car

And the car does not have a 'low VIN' so --- if not a 'press car,' then . . . maybe a 'demo car' of some sort?

What I find curious is that --- whatever purpose that 1059 originally served . . . Mr Siffert purchased her a year later, anyway --- used. And at ~the same time that he received 1180 --- Apr '71 . . . and while he apparently had access to/used the 'Mystery' 911

Three 911s --- all metallic green?

Then there's Mr Siffert activities . . .

In 1970 + '71 --- and with whatever-number 911s to choose from . . . Mr Siffert is . . .
    1) Pursuing a career in Formula One w/BRM
    2) Driving 917s w/Porsche
    3) Promoting Heuer products
    4) Supplying/maintaining cars for use in the movie 'Le Mans'
    5) Selling cars out of at least two auto dealerships in Fribourg

Did I miss anything? 'Cause that list is already pretty exhausting

Sounds to me like he'd need a bunch of cars to keep up with all the things that he was into

I've written before that Mr Siffert was the prototypical 'workaholic' long before the term ever came into common use. Honestly? --- whatever he was doing with a squad of green 911s . . . it was probably incidental to everything else that he was into at the time.

Factor in Mr Siffert's possibly routine practice of transferring his personal plate between any one of multiple cars that he may have used, and . . .

. . . seeing a green 911, anywhere during this time . . . may only mean that Jo Siffert was there . . .

. . . + nothing more

Which doesn't answer the original question . . .

What was 1059 --- a green 911S, w/ power windows + LSD, rear wiper + a up-market Köln radio . . . originally built for?

And why would Mr Siffert buy her a year older + used . . . when he already had two more 911s, just like her --- better, even. Those had sunroofs . . .

. . . but what about their glove boxes?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-14-2014 at 04:15 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Rick,

I received my ESSES yesterday and enjoyed the reading of your article. Thanks for this.

Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407