Page 80 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    IMO --- cars are a really-stupid place to keep one's Hard Earned. Money sitting in a car earns no interest . . . and, in fact --- cars cost money . . . interest on their loans, insurance --- never mind all the fuel + maintenance. Which is why I usually own hoopties . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-The-Other-Car

Well --- after almost 8 years of successfully teasing/torturing/stringing-along/basically annoying-the-hell-outta my poor bank . . .

. . . finally bit the bullet . . .

. . . paid-off the Nasty Car

Yup . . . smelly/leaky/olde monstre is alllllllllllll mine

Late Christmas present --- to me . . .

Crazy year . . .

. . . + more to tell

Nice tree, Charlie Brown.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    . . . Nice tree, Charlie Brown . . .

Been that kinda year, My Friend . . .

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Carpet Mat Details

Had someone ask about carpet mats --- so took some pics + thought I'd share . . .

As far as I can tell, 1059 's interior is original --- except for the driver's seat, slider + wheel that I've added since . . . + the Blaupunkt Köln that's missing although the bezel seems to've stayed (?)

Anyway, the floors were a Big Deal when I first checked-out the car. There was a rust-through on the drivers' side outer rocker, but when we looked inside, seemed like all the floors were never affected . . .

. . . = sold!

Floors have been described before --- see post #463. Seems that some kind of (sheet?) material was pasted --- for lack of a better term . . . over the floor's sheet metal, then? . . . nothing . . .

. . . 'cept the carpet mats

I talked a little bit about these before, as well --- see above. There are four pieces in all --- thick/heavy/stiff/crude . . . shots of the driver's piece are appended. What's interesting is the effect these mats have on the floor --- specifically on whatever the stuff was that Porsche pasted-on there. Over the long-term, the backing of the carpet mats reacts with this floor-covering material . . . as well as just about anything else that it touches, seems. Not only do the carpet mats' 'nubbies' leave a distinctive 'dimpling' on the floor, but they also tattoo the wooden floor boards, as well

Floors have an visible affect on the mats, too. Over the intervening decades, they've imprinted their contours into the mats' backs

I'm sure that most restorers shiver when they see this sort o' mess, but . . . Porsche didn't always make everything 'pretty'

. . . = why I love 'unrestored' cars

Last edited by LongRanger; 05-14-2017 at 07:05 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Looks same in my car
    Registry member No.773

Last Things 1st

Kinda gotten a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle behind on üpdates, so . . .

. . . gonna try + catch things up . . .

. . . backwards

Have a service coming-up, next week. Already called Marco @TLG and made our appointment. Nasty Car's running fine but it's time for the Usual stuff = oil + filter, rotate + balance, valve-adjust, plus a thorough/critical front/back/top/bottom look-over. Engine feels fine to me, but --- w/ coming-up-on-300k km . . . we shall see

Paid my CA reg fees + insurance. Neither changed, much . . . although registration is supposed to go up (again) courtesy of Gov Brown, next year. My insurance is still w/ Chubb, and no change in agreed value. I have enough coverage to repair the car if it's ever seriously damaged --- which is what I use insurance for. And barring some kinda super-natural disaster, 1059 should stay safe where she's kept. As for ever being stolen? --- well . . .

. . . I think threads like this --- + sites like ours . . . pretty-much make our cars theft-proof

Knock on wood

We Can Be Heroes

Grandma was slow but she was 92....
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

'Other' Projects

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    . . . Grandma was slow but she was 92 . . .
    Ay-yay-yaaay . . .

. . . well ---- all I can say is that it's been a liiittle tough . . . when the Nasty Car's a hundred-'n'-ten miles away

And I have been driving/telling 'bout her --- small adventures . . .
    . . . see post #2284 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Today/page229
    . . . #2352, 3 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Today/page236
    . . . #2399 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Today/page240
    . . . #2430 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Today/page243

Took her to some shows, too . . .
    . . . like, Luftgekühlt (2016) see post >#75 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=luftgekuhlt
    . . . the Laguna Beach Classic . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...beach+car+show
    . . . PCA's White Gloves . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...t=white+gloves
    . . . Dana Point . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ight=dana+2016

Even been to Pomona a few times, since, as-well . . .

Problem is? --- I need to get my garage set-up . . before I can bring her home w/ me

Bought myself a nice little housey, last year --- cheap + quiet + cozy . . . w/ an attached two-car! (Woo-HOO!) Problem is I got these godzilla garage racks cluttering up one side. And the floor's been painted w/ this 'economy' (= cheape shyte) floor-paint, which is not only an ugly-a$$ eye-sore to look at . . . but needs to be removed (grrrrrr) before I can re-finish it

Painted several garage floors, now --- but those were just dirty. This one? . . . I have to strip somebody else's attempt-@-paint 1st

Never done anything like that, before. Could be fun . . .

. . . or a total sh!t show

Meanwhile . . . I've got about 200 lbs of the Flintstone Kunstruction Kumpany's misdeeds in my garage to dismantle + dispose of . . . juuuuust to get started

And did I mention that I'm painting the inside of my house? (Notta lotta furniture, still, so --- better now than later)

Let's just say that my 'other' projects are sorta stacked-up, right now. Weather just got warm-enough for painting, too

Sooooooo . . . 1059 waits . . .

. . . for now

Last edited by LongRanger; 05-26-2017 at 03:54 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Service #6 . . .

Dropped-off the Nasty Car @TLG, Friday . . .

. . . been a while, too --- see post #698 . . .

Anyway, nothing-much going on w/. Only driving her a couple times a month, right now. May not sound all-that-healthy, but it is what it is. Apart from topping-off the oil, wiping-down the windshield --- and wiping off her wheels+tires . . . she hasn't needed much from me. I don't use a battery tender/charger but haven't had any issues w/ starting . . .

. . . 'till yesterday

She started fine --- as (almost) always . . . but then came up w/ some kinda hitch-in-her-get-along, after a few seconds = some burpiness in her idle + a flutter at constant throttle. Seemed to clear after a few minutes out on the highway, but . . . wonder what all that was. And before anybody asks, 1059 always has >half-a-tank of fuel --- unless we're out actually running somewhere

Anyway, usual slog out to The Valley. Had Zovig follow us out. Got to spend a few minutes w/ Marco, catching-up, + letting him know what's what 1059-wise + sent him a note . . .

'. . . Hey, Marco . . .

Here's a quick note regarding the service for 911NESS . . .

Please . . .
    1) . . . change out all fluids --- engine, gearbox, and hydraulics . . . + any required filters
    2) . . . rotate + balance road wheels (leave the spare)
    3) . . . install the MoMo hub (in that box in the rear pass compartment), then hook-up the car horns and try to get them to work
    4) . . . swap in those louder horns that you were talking about
    5) . . . look the car over for any other issues

Other Items . . .
    1) Car's been starting/running fine --- 'till we came up Friday. Some roughness + unevenness at start-up, and then some 'flutteriness' running at freeway speeds, the first 10 minutes or so. Seemed to run fine once she warmed-up, but . . .
    2) Whaddiya thing about going back to CDI --- and what are the options? I've been reading about Partsklassik's CDI box + coil products and would like to know your opinion
    3) Rear wiper assembly. Think that I still have all the bits and wanna get this system put back in the car and working. 1st things 1st --- do you know anybody who can overhaul the wiper motor?

Anyway, as usual = no rush, have fun . . . + call me if you need me? . . .
    '

1st time there w/o Tony . . .

. . . + 'zat your car, Chris?

Last edited by LongRanger; 05-28-2017 at 08:43 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Service #6 . . .

Got 1059 back from service, coupla weeks back

Zovig gave me ride to TLG, then I drove the car back . . . sorry/no pics. Pretty thrilled to get the Nasty Car back

Total came to ~$2400. No surprises. Marco 'd finished with most of the work on the car some weeks earlier, but when we talked back then, he'd mentioned that the distributor was getting 'lazy' advancing, so . . . we decided to get that taken care of. And as usual, Marco crawled all over the car. Not only did he fit my MOMO hub, but I also got a horn button hooked-up --- haven't had one for a coupla years . . . and he even installed the turn-cancel ring. Haven't had one o' those since NC

Coupla surprises. Ignition switch was going 'intermittent,' so that got swapped-out. And the leak-down numbers were, well --- pretty decent, I thought . . . 6-7% for all six cylinders. Forty-seven year-old motor so . . . I'm relieved

Bringing her home was like leaving a bank robbery. Steering had been feeling a little 'junky' --- but that's all gone, now. Don't know if it was alignment or rotation or pressures, but 1059 felt tight + alert + twitchy. And after of Marco's administrations to injection + ignition --- well . . . let's just say there's a good reason I didn't take any pictures

Wow

And I actually took the Nasty Car home with me, this time. So, going up the 14 was a Whole Different Experience vs taking my Every Day. 1059 absolutely destroys traffic. Spool 'er up to >4k and just point 'er up the hill. And she's so small that she just slips through traffic like it isn't even there

Along the way, I caught sight of this Big Ford Pick-up running up behind us, kinda blundering through traffic that we'd already glided past. 500 more RpM and he may as well 've parked by the roadside

Best part?

For the 1st time in 8 years --- 1059 lives with me, again . . .

. . . not at my Mom's . . .

. . . not at my friends . . .

. . . in my garage

Last edited by LongRanger; 08-07-2017 at 02:17 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

A collective sigh of relief heard from the audience.
    Congratulations.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111