Page 82 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Thumbs up

Hope you're successful Rick ... Mr. Schibler had a lot to say...

However, you quoted me on a '2005 post that the connection was made 3 years before that..... so an easy 15 years ago....

Good luck,

Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    . . . you quoted me on a '2005 post that the connection was made 3 years before that..... so an easy 15 years ago....

Good luck . . .
    Oh-yeah --- did see that . . .

. . . but --- as you've seen played-out here . . .

. . . a 'cold' trail (or an olde poste) is still better than none at all

And --- at 47-years after + counting . . . I'll need all the luck I can get

Meanwhile, received this from Kidston SA, yesterday . . .

'. . . Thanks for all the interesting material . . .

. . . might take a while to find out more but I would be happy to help.

Maybe we can discuss this on the phone next week? I am off to a business trip now and will be back on Monday.

Do you have old invoices/ insurance documents anything from when it was in CH?

Would you consider selling the car? . . .
    '

Gulp!

Guess I shoulda expected that last bit

My choice of Kidston SA was deliberate . . .

http://www.kidston.com/

Not only are they a high-end Seller of special cars, but they're also located in Switzerland --- the very place where most of the people that I'd like to talk to, are located. And also, because/besides/afterall, when the time does come for a sale? . . .

. . . I would expect the best audience to be there --- in Switzerland . . . and that 1059 would eventually make her way back there

Honestly?, Mr Siffert is only barely known here. Different Deal in CH. And so I'm counting on Kidston's passion --- + maybe a little avarice? . . . to help move things along

Last edited by LongRanger; 10-26-2017 at 04:01 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Sent Today . . .

. . . to Porsche Club Suisse . . .
    https://cms.porsche-clubs.com/Porsch...257753004D26ED

. . . along with my Mitgliedsantrag/membership app . . .

'. . . Automobile hat 7 Vorbesitzer gehabt, darunter Porsches "versuch" und Jo Siffert (!). Deshalb möchte ich dem Verein beitreten. Vielleicht kann der Verein mir helfen, mehr über die Geschichte des Autos in der Schweiz zu erfahren . . .'

'. . . Automobile has had 7 previous owners, including Porsche 'versuch' and Jo Siffert (!) Which is why I want to join the club. Maybe the club can help me learn more about the history of the car in Switzerland . . .'

We Can Be Heroes

Worn-out Ignition Switch

Well, after all these 8 years with me, 1059 finally broke down on me. Nothing too serious --- or nasty (yet) . . .

Keys are REALLY worn. And all the locks have seemed pretty ‘gummy’, too --- and from Day One. I recently purchased some replacement key blanks, thinking I’d get some keys re-cut. But the OG set that came with the car looks a bit too worn to make any usable duplicates, so . . . I’ve just been putting-up with gummy locks and worn-out keys . . .

. . . like a coupla weeks, back --- at the Pomona Swap. Leaving for the event, it took a few extra twingles than usual to get the key to turn/start the Nasty Car . . . but leaving the event? . . . took a whole lotta extra twingling

Gave me a bit of a scare

Same last Sunday morning. Took several tries to get the key to turn enough to engage the starter, so I made a mental note to do something about it --- but got all caught-up getting the car out + taking that drive . . .

. . . which all finally caught-up with me

After a quick blast down the local freeway, I pulled into the Lancaster Car Mall --- jus' looking-jus' looking! (we’ve been talking about getting Zovig a newer car) . . . so as I parked-up + as soon as I shut the engine . . . I thought to myself . . .

. . . not a good idea

Sure wasn’t

Thought about doing a push + start, buuuuuuuuuut . . . ended-up calling Chubb --- = why I pay for insurance. Took about an hour-and-a-half for a flat-bed, but everybody got home safe + sound. Free, too! And all I lost was a coupla hours

Got home + hit the keys with some teflon, then worked them in/out of the door + ignition a few times, trying to loosen-up some of the tumblers (yup), maybe tease-out one last start? . . . nope

Anyway, called Marco to talk about all this. He’d noted an issue at the last service, and swapped-out the switch, but . . .

. . . turns out this issue ‘s a biiiiiit more involved

What we’re dealing with here, is a 47-year-old key + ignition lock that are pretty-much past anything resembling a reasonable service life. Stuff ’s SO done. Now, as Marco explained it, there are two courses of action . . .

..1) . . . replacing the assembly. No concrete numbers, yet, but it would mean there'd be a different key for the ignition vs the door (not too bad, maybe) and? --- could be stupid-expensive

..2) . . . repairing the ignition lock. This one’s attractive for cost reasons --- and I am a Total Cheapskate . . . but capable/reliable/reasonable Service Providers are not exactly easy to find.

But? . . .

. . . Marcoknows a Guy

Issue now is removing the ignition lock assembly. Marco tried talking me through this, on the phone, yesterday, but, well --- I am an idiot . . . so I’ll be sending him some pictures, then having him talk me through pulling the assembly . . .

. . . or maybe just hot-wiring it?

Stay tuned

Last edited by LongRanger; 10-31-2017 at 06:59 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

RocketDan on Pelican is the lock guru. He is great and works wonders. Look him up.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Just caller Mr Buckler's store in Sonoma --- left a message w/ 'Christy' . . .

. . . see if anyone can get a hold of Mr Schibler

Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Key tumblers (new) are really pretty easy to change to fit the door/glove box locks. Most vintage key guys will have a set of tumbler pins that are sized to match the contours of your key. I have done this once with a set of spare pins I acquired in a batch of lock parts. I may have one or two that will fit your locks if you get to that point. But being in California, you have plenty of resources for vintage stuff. PM if you need something and I'll try to help. I think the hardest part is removing and reinstalling.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Quote Originally Posted by orange911 View Post
    Here is a nice Koln but it may be a bit too early (I'm guessing you are looking for a B code):
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...aupunkt-K%F6ln
    Found you another one that is even more complete with faceplate and amp:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...unkt-koln.html
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Keylessness

Hhh

Thought about pulling the ignition, bypassing the lock, and using a screwdriver etc . . .

. . . never happened

Conferred w/ Marco regarding the particulars . . . = sounded simple enough --- so? . . .

. . . pulled the seat out . . .

. . . grabbed some tools . . .

. . . and proceeded to get totally intimidated. What a snake nest

'Sides? --- I'm basically a Lazy Fook, anyway . . .

Waiting a coupla weeks, then called Chubb, got a free tow to TLG . . .

. . . = why I buy insurance

And it does my Salty Old Guts good to see a 48-year-old OG tow ring actually get used

Attached Images Attached Images       

We Can Be Heroes

So is the waitinglist long? Hope you get her back soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    . . . So is the waitinglist long? Hope you get her back soon! . . .
    No idea, Stevie

Marco had asked me --- when the issue of what to do, came up . . .

Option 1 . . . fix the nasty/creepy/gummy/worn-out/cantankerous/take-forever-to-repair PoS that the car came with . . . months MONTHS to get back

Option 2 . . . swap in a perfectly decent/fully functional just not 'period' correct replacement that will work perfectly fine + no one 'll ever know

Option 3 . . . install a perfectly fine/functional modern bit that will last forever + ever + ever . . . and has absolutely no business being there but fercryinoutloud --- its an ignition lock, after all

Took a moment . . .

. . . 'Option 2, please'

To which Marco sagely agreed and off we go . . .

But --- as I thought about it, later that evening . . .

. . . that nasty/creepy/gummy/worn-out/cantankerous/take-forever-to-repair PoS had lasted 48 years before finally failing . . .

. . . and --- even if nobody ever so-much-as looked at that lock again . . . even if they knew what they were looking at/for . . . even if no one ever knew that the lock had been changed? . . .

. . . I'd know

And besides . . . . I'm an idiot

So I called Marco up, next morning, asked that he send the nasty/creepy/gummy/worn-out/cantankerous/take-forever-to-repair PoS out to whomever, etc, etc, etc

'Till then? . . .

. . . I'll just keep using the multi-tool that Zovig gave me . . .

Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes