Page 88 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Thank You

Thanks again, Mike

But I wouldn’t ‘ve bought it, if I hadn’t spent some time going through this thread . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...s-amp-Contents

This is what I like most about The Registry --- all the people who come here with their stuff, and share what they know

I mean, I’ve basically found --- then put-together . . . this whole car! --- thanks to the parts + information + help provided by all our Contributors. And I've never regretted any of the time --- or money . . . that I've spent here

Without The Registry? . . . I wouldn’t have the car that I have

Last edited by LongRanger; 06-05-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Service #7 --- Part 2

Finally got the Nasty Car dropped-off, last Friday

LA had a curfew in effect --- owing to some on-going shenanigans . . . soooo we held-off a bit

Some shop-shots, and? . . .

. . . caught Marco multi-tasking. Again

Attached Images Attached Images      

Drückmesser . . .

. . . = pressure gauge . . .

. . . one of the bits that I wanted to stick in with the tool kit

Not exactly a standardized component, although they all seem to have one

Messko is pretty-much the default choice, here. Been around for a long time, going back to the 356 . . . had one of these in my Roadster's repro kit. But I never really cared for Messkos. Look/feel = cheap, flimsy --- especially the plastic ones . . . and I'm One o' Those Guys who actually uses this stuff, sooo . . .

Draeger and MotoMeter seem to show up in some kits, too --- the latter looking especially de Luxe . . . all nice-enough, I suppose

. . . but when I started looking around? --- came across this one . . . something a little different

VDO

!

No idea VDO even made stuff like this. And no idea what vintage this is. And definitely no idea if it's 'correct' or not, but . . .

. . . don't really care

Matches my gauges! = matchy-matchy

And in pretty-decent shape, too. And juuuust scuffed-up enough that I won't feel like a bum for using it at some gas station or gravelly road-side. Forgot how much I paid --- $30? . . . but --- thanks to COVID . . . shipping cost me more than the actual bit

Still like to get a pouch for it, though

May just have buy a Messko after all

Last edited by LongRanger; 08-10-2020 at 02:03 AM.

Very nice!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Calling Canford Classics

One of the things that's always fascinated me are some of the subtle/tricky --- OK, sneaky . . . bits that Porsche came up with . . .

. . . that only rarely get discussed, much-less appear . . .

. . . like alu bodywork

Engine lids + rear licence panels are well-known. The fiberglass-cum-balsa wood hoods, somewhat

And alu door skins, yes . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post405970

But what about the front hood? . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post925404

. . . or the front + rear bumpers? --- whole fenders, even! . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...-body-parts-FS

Been obsessed with these bits, ever since I first saw/read about them

Well, anyway --- from today . . . sent to Canford Classics . . .

. . . 'member these Guys/this threade? . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...-of-a-RHD-2-2S

'. . . Hello . . .

I've been on/off you site for years --- after having seen your restoration of a RHD Porsche 911S on the Early 911S Registry web-site. Always admired your work, always wanted to stop by, but . . .

. . . close I am not

Anyway, from what I've seen of your work and your store, I have a request that you may be able to help me with. I'm looking for a quote for some body parts for my car, a 1970 Porsche 911. How much would it cost to fabricate + prime + ship . . .
    1) one standard front bumper
    2) two standard rear bumpers (L+R)
    . . . in aluminum?

I'd appreciate any comments. Thank you for your time
    . . .'

REAL curious what they have to say

Last edited by LongRanger; 07-03-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Sounds cool but expensive so I must ask about the benefit. What is the weight savings by panel?
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

member #1515
    Not the best places for aluminum
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Cool vs Trick

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    . . . Sounds cool but expensive so I must ask about the benefit. What is the weight savings by panel? . . .

For me, ‘cool’ usually refers to something that’s kinda showy --- shiny paint jobs in bright colors, big flairs and wings, natty upholstery . . . stuff that's overtly visual, obvious, eye-catching by design = hard to miss

But 'trick'? --- for me, anyway . . . means something different entirely. Trick is something you have to look for --- and even if you even know what it is . . . it’s usually not obvious. Like the term implies . . . it’s deceptive, sneaky

Ever heard of Smokey Yunick? --- and his Trans Am Camaro? . . . well, at least it looked like one . . .
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/smok...-no-13-camaro/

Shaved rain-gutters, acid-dipped + re-contoured panels, laid-back windshield, channeled sub-frames, he even messed-with the floors (!) --- oh, it FIT the scrutineer’s profile gauges, sorta . . . but there was nothing stock about that car = the very definition of ‘trick

Now consider Porsche’s 911GT-S (all four? of 'em) --- cars that look like 911s . . . but are very trick. Thinner-gauge steel + alu panels, all hiding in plain sight. If you didn’t know what they were . . . then you’d never know what they were

I would suppose that Porsche built those cars with alu bits because they’d be lighter, and so more competitive for it. But, unlike adding flairs or spoilers or wider wheels --- things that today might be considered cool or obvious . . .

. . . Porsche instead chose to add bits that are not-at-all obvious --- like Smokey, maybe? . . . = very trick, IMO

So, when you ask about ‘weight savings’?

Sure-sure --- lighter weight . . . makes sense

But this isn't a race car . .

. . . and who would ever know?

Last edited by LongRanger; 07-02-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Canford Responds . . .

. . . sent Tuesday, 14-Jul

' . . . Thank you for your email that has been passed onto me and sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have been off on holiday.

It is always great to hear that people from around the world are looking at and following our efforts so thank you very much and if you ever venture to the UK, you are always welcome to come over and see us.

Unfortunately we are not in a position at the moment to manufacture the aluminium rear bumper sections due to the current restrictions

The front we use (genuine Porsche) are currently unavailable and the shipping foe one of these to the US would be prohibitive cost wise so if you were to go genuine, sourcing one from the US would, I am sure be cheaper.

Thank you for giving us a try and sorry we cannot help
    . . .'

Service #7 --- Part Last

$2800

Biggest item was tires --- 4 new Pirelli CN36s = ~$1200. Nice to have fresh set of tires, again after (a way-TOO-long) ten years on the Vreds. No real comments regarding performance, at this point; I’ll need to scuff these in for few hundred miles to have anything meaningful to say. I will say that the car still has its same old lovely/supple/athletic ride --- + the tires look great! Love the vintage-looking tread, too --- no funky/blocky/‘uni-directional’ stuff going on . . . just that familiar squiggly old-school sporty-car pattern. Oh-yeah --- and proper smooth sidewalls! (Don't like the 'rills' on most new tires + easier to clean) Looking at everything, you’d think it’s 1970, again --- only the big naffy ‘Pirelli’ stamped on the sides jars some. And I already laid a coupla coats of tire schmutz on --- to keep that new tire look/smell/vibe

I was gratified to read some of the positive comments regarding the CN36. My choice was mostly driven by what's on the Kardex --- although, it seems more likely that Pirelli's CN72 would've been fitted, as the CN36 probably doesn't seem t've been available 'till '72 at the earliest . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post788860
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...highlight=cn72

And no word on replika CN72s, yet, so . . .

Anyway, I'll give these tires a few more miles/drives/weeks to heat-cycle/scuff-in --- then try to give a better account

Next biggest item was something I’ve waited ten years to get back/working on the Nasty Car --- namely re-fitting/-mounting/-activating the rear wiper. Even though all the switches + wiring were still intact --- the rear wiper was an original option on this car . . . there was still the matter of mounting the recently-purchased motor + all the assorted clap-trap . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1058461

. . . on the replacement engine cover. 1059 came to me with a steel cover, and which was already rear-wiper-ready, but is now reposing peacefully in a closet. While the sexy/slinky/are-you-serious?/alu cover since fitted --- which has never seen a wiper . . . needed some drilling/fiddling to accept the wiper motor's output shaft = a $few hundred

After that --- mostly just regular stuff . . . oil + filter, pads, blah-blah-blah

Oh-yeah --- one surprise item was a snapped-off roll bar link in the front . . . never felt a thing. Reminds me of that ignition lock that crapped-out, three years, ago (!) . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post949851

. . . so looks like I'm down to metal fatigue/high-time stuff, now?

And there ‘re still a coupla graunchy swing arm bushes --- but those'll have to wait ‘till the engine comes out. . . . = re-build time . . . = last Big Expense . . . = next year? Fingers crossed

Meanwhile? . . . she runs just fine

Last edited by LongRanger; 08-14-2020 at 09:29 AM.