Page 89 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Man I love that color!!
    Bill
    —————
    1969 911T

Odds + Ends . . .

. . . found a pouch for my tire pressure gauge! In with some of my 356 left-overs. Not exactly sure where I got this but --- it was mixed-in with some of an old hoard of parts I picked-up in Watsonville, like, 30-years, ago (gulp!), so . . .

Nothing fancy --- + it's blue! . . . but it looks kinda un-used = my gauge should bed right in. Both already have a home in the glove box

Meanwhile, Arne 's started an interesting thread --- about tire pressure decals . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...for-early-72-T

Mine would 've been replaced at the last re-spray --- 10 years, ago, now . . . it's 3rd (?) --- still . . .

. . . wish I'd taken a picture before, back then

Attached Images Attached Images    

Regarding tire pressure for above 200 km/h, I just read the following in Paul Frere's Porsche 911 Story: "... it is interesting to note that in his speech introducing the 911 S to the press, development engineer Bott mentioned that part of the gain in maximum speed was because of the increased tyre pressures recommended. [...] It appears that at the car's maximum speed, the reduction in rolling resistance amounts to a saving of more than 9 hp -- at the obvious cost of some comfort."

I would have expected that the higher pressure was to have better handling at speed, not to reduce the rolling resistance!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    Regarding tire pressure for above 200 km/h, I just read the following in Paul Frere's Porsche 911 Story: "... it is interesting to note that in his speech introducing the 911 S to the press, development engineer Bott mentioned that part of the gain in maximum speed was because of the increased tyre pressures recommended. [...] It appears that at the car's maximum speed, the reduction in rolling resistance amounts to a saving of more than 9 hp -- at the obvious cost of some comfort."

I would have expected that the higher pressure was to have better handling at speed, not to reduce the rolling resistance!
    Aha! That puts a whole different light on the lack of the "higher speed" tire pressure plate on Ts. The factory claimed top speed of my 2.4 T was 129 mph. So it could have (given a long enough run) exceeded the 125 mph (200 kph) noted for higher tire pressures. But if you used those higher pressures, perhaps the car might have made it to 133 mph (215 kph) or so. Since the standard tires on a T were H-rated (210 kph), the car could have outrun its tires. And that would not have been allowed in jurisdictions that actually take stuff like that seriously. (Not the US.) Sure, all the Ts that were optioned with Fuchs got V-rated tires, but trying to keep track on the assembly line of which cars got which tires and put data plates on to match would have been a pain. Simpler to just leave the plate off all Ts.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Cool, I didn't think of that but it's a great explanation for the different pressures. I like the steering feel on my car better with higher pressure -- although I'm not planning to exceed 200 km/h.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Mud Flaps

Scored some flaps, this-past Phoenix Show --- $200?, c/o Mr Linden . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1052279

. . . then found a 'kit' w/ the bits to do the install --- $100 ('cause I already had the flaps) . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1064080

Not much to say about the flaps. Seen these (or something very similar) advertised in different places before (including Our Little Corner) and they all look decent enough --- as in heavy, thick, properly 'Porsche'd . . . totally serviceable

And JimmyT's kit is quite the deal. Brackets look to be properly tooled alu, all nicely anodized (?) black (w/ silk-screened descriptors (!), no less), separately-bagged + sub-bagged hardware, + a proper instruction sheet . . . w/ everything all economically packaged

Last edited by LongRanger; 10-16-2020 at 08:05 PM.

More Mud Flaps

The kit's basic approach is to attach a bracket assembly to the rear fender support in each wheel-house. Matching/orienting each set of brackets to their corresponding fender support is straight-forward enough --- only took me one glance . . . and I was off to the races . . .

. . . about 4 times . . . OK --- maybe 5 . . . but no more than 8 . . . maybe

See --- while the 'basic' install seems, well, basic-enough . . . the are some nuances to how all this stuff actually fits. And even though there are a TON of adjustments to how everything goes together --- there was more to installing all this stuff then just looking at the illustrations and having a go

First off --- I'm doing all this in my garage. On my back. Under the car. After work. At night. Uhhh . . . I'm an idiot, remember?. So I'm flying though this stuff, --- or at least trying to . . . trying to get 'er done. I started-off by trying to do all this with the wheels on the car --- and, while I can see the place I need to get all these parts into . . . I can't quite get my paws in there so --- Pro Tip #1? . . .

. . . jack-up the car + take off the wheels

Also, I did get a little carried-away with the tools I needed. (And YES --- I did get to use a coupla tools from my recently-acquired Porsche tool kit) (!) All I really needed were some 8 + 10 mm sockets w/drivers, ditto wrenches, for the nuts + bolts, and a cutter + screw driver to open-up the mounting holes in the flaps . . . and a tire iron to remove the wheels

Last edited by LongRanger; 10-17-2020 at 04:20 AM.

Jimmy T's version of the original out of production mud flaps made BITD

These fit SC's better but I made slight changes to put them back on my '74 which had them when I originally saw it about 40 years ago. The original hardware was aircraft related clamps made from some sort of indestructible nylon. I found some but it was an uphill battle with the source who were happy to help but being a small order made things go really slow.
    Jimmy is a great guy to work with and I highly recommend ANY tool or gadget he comes up with.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Even More Mud Flaps . . .

. . . the 'money' shot . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Like the mudflaps Rick. Where'd you get that pic of the blue car. My very low mileage 73.5T has those very mudflaps and I have always wondered where they came from.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T