Page 90 of 108 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    . . . Like the mudflaps . . .
    Thanks, Scott! . . . + with any kind o' luck I'll put 'em to some great use, next Summer

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    . . . Where'd you get that pic of the blue car . . .
    . . . but I think you'll need to ask Tom (sithot) 'bout the blue car

We Can Be Heroes

Was looking through the last few pages on this thread for kicks, came across this...

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    My yard-stick, here, is my 318iS --- a car that I've owned since '04. I've totally 'done' the suspension on this car --- shocks + mounts, springs, welded-in chassis re-enforcements, bushings, bars + mounts, brakes . . . even added a limited-slip and '+2' wheels + tires. Now, a 30-year-old car, w/2600 lbs + 130-ish HP may not sound very promising . . . but for me this car pretty-much defines the term tossable. Whatever this little missile lacks in power + presence it more than makes-up for in sheer usability, and is just about the most entertaining device I've ever stuck my butt in
    I know what you are talking about. Most of my German cars over the years have been distinctly short on ponies. And I've never cared. The '81 Scirocco S we bought new had a whopping 78 HP. Enjoyed it for 10 years, with GTI/Bilstein suspension upgrades and GTI +1 wheels/tires. Many of our later VWs weren't powerhouses either.

I love driving my 72T, not fast but for me a big dose of interactive fun. Yet before the Porsches came into my life, there was another car that was a pile of fun to drive. A 1981 RoW BMW 323i. E21 chassis with a 140HP 2.3L six under the hood. Factory Recaros, Alpina/Bilstein suspension, limited slip and staggered 15" BBS. (Yes, Pirelli P700Zs on it.) That car was a total hoot to drive.

So I totally understand where you are coming from with the 318iS.

Name:  DSCN0724.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  139.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0725.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  130.7 KB
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

BMWs and Porsches

1059 is my 2nd Porsche --- but I've owned 8 BMWs. Only 'new' car I ever bought was a BMW, a '78 320i --- a 2-liter e21 in BMW-speak. But I've owned 5 e30s. Sold a Real M3 to be here --- a car I spent 5 years sorting. Still own an e30 --- that natty little 318iS that you mentioned, a car I'll prolly own for as long as I live . . . prolly 'cause, coming up on 400k mi, no one else 'll want it after me. Altogether, I have ~25 years in BMWs = >700k mi. I love 'em --- especially the e30s, and most especially the four-cylinders. Not exactly the highest profile vehicles, maybe, but they're tough, reliable, economical, fun cars . . . something to drive all the time, every day, everywhere, rain or shine . . . anywhere . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post544613

1059 is almost the complete opposite of my BMWs. Funny --- I got started looking for a Porsche that I could treat like a BMW. Ended-up nerding-out about Early 911ness --- now look where I am. Not complaining. The Porsche is a wonderful device --- a compact, sleek, swift little capsule . . . and almost completely out-of-place in the traffic I drive in. Trying to manage a dog-leg 901 + a frenetic 2.2 while swimming in a pod of SUVs? = exciting . . . but also exhausting. In a good way. The frustrating thing for me is --- what the 911 does best? = blasting-off >5k rpm . . . can't really be done in everyday traffic . . .

. . . whereas my Little BMW? . . .

. . . is pretty-much completely at-home in it

Lots of glass, great sight-lines, over-the-top brakes, perfect gearing, excellent maneuverability . . . I actually look forward to traffic in the BMW. And, in SoCal, that's pretty-much a given, anymore. No power, maybe, but, @30mpg? . . . I'll get a lot more miles-worth for my money . . . + have fun doing it

Besides, when it comes to any bumpy/twisty/nasty/cloggy roads --- every time someone tells me how much horsepower they have . . . I always tell 'em . . .

. . . you're gonna need it!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-05-2020 at 09:18 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More BMWs and Porsches . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    . . . before the Porsches came into my life, there was another car that was a pile of fun to drive. A 1981 RoW BMW 323i. E21 chassis with a 140HP 2.3L six under the hood. Factory Recaros, Alpina/Bilstein suspension, limited slip and staggered 15" BBS. (Yes, Pirelli P700Zs on it.) That car was a total hoot to drive . . .
    Ahhh --- the e21 323i . . . neat little car, and forbidden fruit, here in the US. I remember LJK Setright writing about the car in C&D. I've seen a few over the years but you're the 1st person I've heard about who actually owned one. The Ultimate e21, and the ultimate BMW, for me --- until the M3 came along

I'd considered putting on some Alpina mods on my 320 --- Hardy & Beck was the local outfit . . . but stupid-pricey = only got as far as suspension stuff --- following a little off-road excursion . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post606167

Compared to the '66 Plymouth I was coming from, any BMW was a revelation --- and the 320 was . . . never slowed for bumps in it! But with the Alpina chassis bits, the car was sublime --- better ride, better cornering. Haven't owned an American car since

Nice-looking car, there, Arne. Love the bumpers! . . . the side-markers? . . . nooot-so-much

What happened to it?

Last edited by LongRanger; 12-09-2020 at 05:41 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Engine Time

Took 1059 to TLG, yesterday. I've had a good run with The Nasty Car, so far --- only break-down was 'cause of a worn-out key + lock . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post949851

. . . but, even with all my baby-sitting + gentle ministrations (sorta), it has been 50 years, soooooo . . .

. . . it's Engine Time

Performance has been falling-off, for a while. And Marco 's tuned + tweeked + toiled over the engine all this time, but still, the car 's become a bit more of a handful now --- still a holy terror once the revs 're up and we're on the go . . . but she won't really idle below ~2k . . . and dealing with any kind o'traffic is getting to be juuuust a bit much, even for me . . . but remember --- I'm an idiot

So, anyway --- with all the dripping + smoking + general mayhem going on . . . it's That Time. Dropped-off the Nasty Car + handed-over $10k to get things started. And we've talked about this for about a year, now, but Marco asked me for a written description of what I'd like to get done --- which I'll send shortly . . . and share, here

Not in hurry. Figure about 6 months, ~$25k. Not building a race car or something to show = kinda boring, sorry. Want + need reliable. And as original as Marco can manage

There's this trip I wanna take

Last edited by LongRanger; 12-12-2020 at 07:12 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Nice-looking car, there, Arne. Love the bumpers! . . . the side-markers? . . . nooot-so-much

What happened to it?
    It was imported and federalized brand new in '81, in the Bay Area. (That's when the 2002 side markers were added.) The Alpina suspension was actually installed by Hardy & Beck. The car lived in CA until 1999, when the owner at the time was told that it would no longer pass the CA visual smog test, despite it having passed from new up to that point. Referee told her that it needed all sorts of things that didn't exist for that engine, like EGR. Best bet would have been to swap in an e30 325i engine complete with Motronic, but she wasn't in a position to have that done. So she decided to sell it relatively affordably to someone out of state. I swooped down from Eugene and snapped it up.

It was my daily driver for the next 5 years, averaging around 30,000 km per year. I sold it to a local BMW fanatic with over 400,000 km on the clock when I needed a classier 4 door for work with client transport. Bought a low miles '96 e36 328i, manual, sport package and 17" Schnitzer wheels, which was the new daily for the next 8 years.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

More Engine Time

. . . Hey, Marco . . .

Regarding the rebuild of Eng# 6301439

Please do an evaluation of the engine as you’ve received it --- compression + leak-down numbers, condition of the throttle-bodies, and did you mention a dyno run?, etc . . . to see what’s what. The engine ‘s gotten to be a real bear to start, lately, and doesn’t want to idle below ~2000 so I’d really like to know what was causing all this. Think ‘autopsy.’ I know-I know --- stinky + leaky + messy old monster . . . but I would think you’d be curious, as well.

Anyway, Previous Owner mentioned pulling a head to do some valve work (early ‘90s?) but otherwise, as far as I know, the case has never been split so you’ll be the first person inside this engine since it was new.

And after you’ve torn everything down, I’d like to hear what you think about all the bits --- the condition of the case, crank, heads, etc . . . and we talked about crack-checks before doing any work. We also talked about going to an aluminum case, but if the original is useable, then I want to use it. No shuffle-pinning + no boat-tailing, and we need to talk some more about the oil by-pass mod --- after we talk about what oil pump we’re using. I really want to leave the case alone, keep everything as stock as practical --- crank, rods, ‘S’ pistons . . . just straight/stock/regular/standard everything

You mentioned some long-lead stuff --- MFI pump + throttle bodies? What about the heads? ‘Cause there is some work that I’d like to do, there . . .

1. matching intake port flows
    2. ditto exhaust
    3. ditto combustion chamber volumes
    4. ditto spring tensions
    5. improving valve seats

Know anybody?

One more thing --- and I know this ‘ll make you kinda crazy . . . please don’t re-paint/-finish anything ‘till we talk about it, K? Especially the air cleaner!

Anyway, we’ll talk more

And thanks, again, Marco . . . been waiting a long time for this. Hope this ‘ll be fun
    . . .'

Last edited by LongRanger; 12-10-2020 at 04:02 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

'Green-tagging' . . .

. . . from some other posts . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    . . . I just clicked over and went thru the description of the white 911E in the link above, and the part about the car's engine having been "green tagged" in the factory for higher output engine? Is that true? Isn't that why Porshe made the 911S engine, so that people could have a higher output engine than the 911E that was offered?
    Never heard about green tagging at the factory. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
    . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911 View Post
    . . . Green tagging is true.. I have a documented 69S with the same . The car was intended for racing from new by the customer . . .

This is what I'm interested in . . .

. . . what kind of HP can a stock (more-or-less ) 2.2 'S' make?

Last edited by LongRanger; 12-11-2020 at 09:40 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Engine's Out . . .

. . . love how this looks. Still a leaky/smelly Olde Monstre --- but a good-lookin' one

Everything here is stock. Distributor was rebuilt a service-or-two, ago. NOS coil was installed ditto. Heat exchangers are old used stock and need some love, but replaced old-school Leistritz is seasoning nicely. I believe the throttle-bodies had a 'Eurometrix' stamp on 'em somewhere, and one of the heads was off maybe 20-some years ago --- to check on a duff valve. But (surprisingly) most of the hardware looks to be there + intact, although Marco thinks some of the engine tin 's already been powder-coated

Other than that, the engine looks to be pretty-much as it was built Back in the Day

Everything here needs some cleaning-up, I suppose . . . but I really like the used-ness of all this. I mean, this engine isn't meant to sit and be looked at. It's got a job to do, and it looks like it's been doing it . . . 50 years-worth. Except for the way it runs? --- I'd put this all right back in the car the way it looks now

Meanwhile . . . just have to wait

We Can Be Heroes

That engine is looking just fine! But you’ll love it even more after it has been rebuilt. Great that you’re sticking to stock.

I loved reading Wayne Dempsey’s book and following kavs911’s YouTube series when my engine was being rebuilt. You probably already know all this, but if not, highly recommended to better appreciate what’s going on.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833