Page 92 of 109 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Long Ranger: Ten Fifty-nine is a cool car with a fascinating story. I appreciate the leg work you did to learn about the car’s history. Hopefully some of those hand-written letters you sent will prove to be like long-lived messages in a bottle that’ll be discovered one day, somehow yielding the information you seek.

First, I’m crazy about Ten Fifty-nine’s color. I, too, have a car painted 8383. Mine is a 1971 Targa, so technically the code is 8310. If I ever need a repaint, I’ll reach out to John Esposito, who did a tremendous job with your car.

As a fan of you (I appreciate the perspective and energy you bring to many early911sregistry discussions) and your car, I find myself wanting to ask one question: have you ever considered re-painting the Porsche shield on the lower part of both front fenders?

To my eye, those shields are beautiful and a unique part of your car’s history. If you can firmly cement the link to the factory-racer program (and I think you have, but I’ve only quickly read your car’s fascinating story), I’d be inclined to go for it myself. Repainting them seems in line with your "originality" thrust; if you add originality to unique, you get what to me is an irresistible combination. The hassle would be to execute the painting to the caliber of the original. You are good at solving such challenges.

I’ll never be able to afford your car, but if I ever buy a coupe, your’s is the one I’d want. In addition to being a cool car, it would come with the good karma you’ve added.

Howard
    1971 911 T Targa, metallic green

Porsche shields

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.13.46 PM.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  105.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.13.32 PM.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  53.3 KB

Further to my post from earlier today, here are images of the Porsche shield. These appeared in post number 501 (approximately) of this thread.

HH

Hi, Howard . . .

First of all --- thank you for your note. It's always good to hear from people, especially when the comments are positive. There’s really no place else where I can tell this kinda stuff, so I appreciate your writing. Glad you’re enjoying it

My adventures with 1059 were --- and still are . . . very-much a surprise. When I started-out looking for an Early 911, all I wanted was a semi-decent car to play-around with + slowly make nicer. And the whole ‘history’ thing was kind of a lark, to start-out with. I mean --- all I really had was a key fob, fercryinoutloud!. And look where that went. Really --- I had no idea that an old car in North Carolina could have come from where it came from. But while I was lucky to learn something about the very beginning of the car’s story, with the help of Karim + others . . . it’s unfortunate (+ more-than-a-little frustrating) that some of the people whom I’ve reached-out to --- people who actually knew the Man Back Then . . . who worked with him, played with him, spent no-small-amount of time with him . . .

Jack Heuer . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post697590

Derek Bell
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post749777

Vic Elford
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post826287

Brian Redman
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post987644

. . . have never responded to any of my inquiries

The Siffert family’s reticence, I can appreciate --- I mean, I’m sure Madame Siffert has no interest in re-visiting so sad a chapter in her life over something as trivial as an old car. But as for the Drivers + business partners? --- well? . . . who knows?

I had a discussion --- some time ago, now . . . with Stevie --- about finding/seeing any more photos of the car. Mr Siffert was a very public person and indeed there are no shortage of photographs of him . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...hlight=siffert

. . . so I’m almost sure that somewhere there are random snap-shots taken by people who were in the Right Place, the Right Time, people who may not even know that they have a picture that would be meaningful to someone like me, here in Our Little Corner

In the mean time --- the best picture I’ve come across? . . .

. . . is the one of the dark-colored car, with the ‘zoll’ plates, chrome bumper guards, and (if you look very closely) a 1970Le Mans’ pit pass in it’s window . . .

. . . parked in front of Mr Siffert’s Freiburg dealership. And, yes --- I’ve written Laurent Missbauer, the owner of the image and an Historian of Things Siffert, several times, now . . . asking for a bigger/clearer picture. Also . . . no response

Regarding your comment about the Porsche ‘shields’ . . .

I believe there were at least three coats of paint removed from the car when John Esposito refinished 1059, ten years, ago, now. But at the time, no mention was made of any shields being found --- on either fender . . . although the driver’s side fender had been repaired/refinished at least once, already, 20-some years prior. Because 1059 was refinished already --- and there are still ~10 un-documented years in Switzerland . . . I can’t be sure of who did what or when they did it. But, given the number of other ‘Siffert’ cars that have been found so far? . . .

. . . I doubt Mr Siffert added the shield. Now, as for the glove-box? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    . . . think the previous owner had a nice wife who wanted to make her contribution . . .
    . . . who knows?

One thing that I do believe was put on the car by Mr Siffert? . . .

. . . the ‘CH’ tag --- right smack in the middle of the engine lid, too . . . which is now alu, too!

Not exactly my taste, but? --- with two likely examples? . . . hhhhhhhhh

And regarding the color . . .

. . . I love it, too. Funny thing is, most people don’t seem to like green, like – at all. And, yet --- Porsches came in a virtual galaxy of greens . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...hlight=catalog

Truth is? . . .

. . . that color 's prolly why I bought the car, in the first place. After I 1st saw it, I just could not get that green out of my mind

Thanks again for writing! . . .

. . . I'm all fired-up, again

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-06-2021 at 10:09 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Hi Rick-- I am also doing my 50 year old 2.2S engine. It was torn down around March 1st. PM me for info and comparing notes Etc. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

You wrote:

"..that color 's prolly why I bought the car, in the first place. After I 1st saw it, I just could not get that green out of my mind".

Same with me and my car. That metallic green captured my imagination. I didn't start out seeking that color, but once I saw it, I knew that was the car I wanted. Fortunately everything else checked the boxes.

Thanks for your thoughtful response on the other topics. I like how you stumbled upon the historic nature of your car; that seems to have brought unexpected joy (and frustration at times) to your journey with Ten Fifty-nine.

Howard

OK Rick-- why exactly no oil by pass mod? Why are you reluctant to powder coat the air box? Do you know about the secret rust chamber in the air box? Also the air box buckets have a rust area that is hidden. Know where?
    2. '70 911S Tangerine

Things Well-enough

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    . . . why exactly no oil by pass mod? . . .
    Hey, Chris . . .

From what I’ve read, Porsche came up with the oil by-pass mod ~1975 (?) with the introduction of the 2.7 liter engine (?). At that time, Porsche upgraded the engine’s oil pump to a bigger ‘4-rib’ design that pushed more oil in the engine. So to avoid overwhelming the scavenge pump --- the one that fills the oil tank . . . Porsche designed a pressure relief set-up to divert any excess oil being pushed by the engine oil pump back to that pump’s intake circuit, instead of over-filling the crankcase 'cause the scavenge pump couldn't keep up

At the same time, Porsche also changed the oil pressure control pistons. The early (pre ’75) pistons had holes in them, allowing any extra oil to push through the piston, and get back to the crankcase; the post ‘75s are solid

Anyway, since I’m keeping the OG 2-rib pump + early-style pressure control pistons (w/holes), I’m gonna skip doing any more trauma to the Mg case by not doing the by-pass mod. Besides, I haven’t had any cooling or lubrication issues with 1059, like, ever --- always had good oil pressure + the Nasty Car still takes forever to show any oil temp, even after 50 years . . . so I’m leaving well-enough alone

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    . . . Why are you reluctant to powder coat the air box? Do you know about the secret rust chamber in the air box? Also the air box buckets have a rust area that is hidden. Know where? . . .
    Regarding the air-cleaner + buckets . . .

. . . whenever I go to a show, and mosey over and check-out the other cars, there . . . I usually see a lot of bright, shiny, glossy, sexy air cleaners that ‘ve been painted + powder-coated + waxed + polished . . .

. . . and that look absolutely nothing like the one on 1059 --- or any of the other cars I've ever had, for that matter

It feels like going to a high school re-union where everybody ‘s wearing a 3-piece suit . . .

. . . while I’m in a pair o’ 501s + a Hang Ten shirt!

I mean clean ‘s clean, K? --- but c’mon already! . . . just dust the nasty air-cleaner off (or not) and move on. ‘Cause it looks like ‘at’s all Porsche ever did

‘Sides --- I really like those dingy-semi-matt finishes . . . looks like business

Short Version = no Canepating

And honestly? --- if I do find any rust? . . .

. . . all it takes is some bronze wool + a squirt of Teflon --- heck, maybe even some ‘secret(or 'not-so') rattle-canning . . . and I’m good-to-go

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-17-2021 at 07:47 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Plus powder coating can clog up those spray tube bores, and you'll never get them cleaned out.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Say no to powder coating air cleaners and refinished magnesium fans. Clean them and oil the magnesium w/Gibbs. Enjoy!

Thanks for your updates and candor Rick. You've taken us on quite a journey.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Well Rick I am with you on the air cleaner. So my engine builder gave it to me to do what I want. The big mistake is to take it to a stripper and have it bead blasted so little sand or plastic particles get stuck in tight places only to be vibrated loose under engine running and go down the hatch into you engine. You might get away with chemical strip and then powder coat. But I am just going to lightly the top and spray a little satin black. I know it will not last as long as powder coats, but I do not care. Also I will leave the under side alone to save the operation of the gas spray bars as is. Chris
    2. '70 911S Tangerine