Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Engine Stuff . . .

The casualties, so far . . .

Turns out the cams had some minor divoting, after all (after only half-a-century?, go figure), so Marco sent the OG bits out to Dema Elgin for re-conditioning . . . ‘old eyes’ of an Olde School Wizard to better match the metal being welded

Also, had a crack show-up in the bank 1 chain housing. Marco ‘s gonna try and scare-up a replacement

And one of the OG heat-exchanges is basically kaput. Luckily, Marco has a fresh set

And some 'souvenirs' . . .

OG pistons/rings/wrist pins + Biral (cast iron cylinders w/ alu jackets) barrels . . . keeping these around . . . just ‘cause. I mean, that’s just what garage shelves are made for, right? 'Sides --- who knows? . . . I just might be restoring these at some point, after all

OG plastic stacks as removed. These ‘ll be replaced with metal ones. These are all lookin’ just a liiiiiittle crispy --- which is prolly why the Faktory replaced ‘em, circa ’71 (?). Less tinder for the cold-start, if you ask me

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-09-2021 at 11:05 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Engine Stuff . . .

OG MFI stand --- Version 1. Notice how oil + moisture (= 'muck') 've collected here? Porsche would add a hole here, to Version 2 --- to let any Schmutz drain out

Intake ports after the throttle-bodies were removed --- look closely and you’ll see numbers stamped into the flats around the ports . . . signs of a competent job, Marco says

Gratuitous engine number shot. I'm noticing how 'light' the engine number stamping is --- more like a 'kiss' . . . as well as the pad surface itself. Irregular, not smooth at all --- almost like tool chatter

Duff valve that showed-up in the 'new' replacements . . . 'check everything' says Marco

And this last shot is one of my faves . . . any ideas what these are? Marco says, when he does a re-build, he NEVER installs these --- always tosses ‘em . . .

. . . and Ed? --- sssshhhh . . .

. . . no fair calling out what these are

We Can Be Heroes

Those screens separate oil from air to reduce scavenge bubbles and hopefully reduce windage. There is a screen in the oil tank also.

Winner! . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    . . . Those screens separate oil from air to reduce scavenge bubbles and hopefully reduce windage . . .
    . . . 57 minutes

We Can Be Heroes

. . . Thank You, COVID

So --- despite all the chaos of the last year-and-a-half, seems the current situation has been a bit of a boon to all the shops + people that work on cars

Seems like EVERYBODY 's gettin' something done. Re-builds, re-paints, re-imaginationings. Which is great for Our Hobby . . .

. . . unless your car 's in the queue

And then someone gets sick . . .
    . . . or quits . . .
    . . . or (gulp!) worse

Hey --- we're doing a 50-year-re-build, here, so, I guess I don't mind waiting. And I'm d@mn lucky to have had a job this whole time, been healthy, too. And, after all --- it is 'just a car,' right?

So/anyway --- I got this note from Marco . . .

'. . . Looking at your table today … flywheel is no good. Been machined already and has a groove in the friction surface. Disc is 50% so it’s off to the bin. The pressure plate is the hang up for me …

The one you have is not the lightest one that Sachs ever made, but it’s not the heaviest. The friction surface is 50/50 with some rust and hot spots, but not gouges or grooves. The fingers are starting to show some wear and tear, too. However, they don’t make them like they used to and there’s no way I can get you a pressure plate that’s this light and has this level of spring pressure. The new ones are KING KONG heavy at the pedal which not only sucks to drive, but it also breaks shit. So, I’m going to replace the flywheel, disc, T/O bearing, and pilot bearing but I’m going to run your old pressure plate. I think that’s the best move here.

Let me know if you object in any way. Otherwise, you don’t have to say anything
    . . .'

So I'll keep any eye out for pressure plate --- +, as always, any tips/contributions/etc, here . . . are most welcome

Meanwhile, during a phone call about the gearbox, I remembered our own JimmyT --- the Guy I got my mud-flap attachment kit from . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1074890

. . . and him talking about making some other bits . . .

'. . . Hey, Marco . . .

Here's the trunion --- same Seller
    . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...911-116-772-11

And? . . . here's a gratuitous shot of some head work going on

Last edited by LongRanger; 09-28-2021 at 06:30 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

I used to get my pressure plates and friction discs rebuilt. So are there no rebuilders that can provide the service still?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Derek Bell

'Member this? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . .

. . . Another day after filming, Jo, Steve, and Derek were sitting around the tent at Solar Village sharing a bottle of wine when someone got the idea to stage a race.

“I can’t remember exactly what lead to it, but I’m pretty sure Steve was the instigator," Derek remembers.
    The area around Solar Village was paved with loose gravel and Hubert Froehlich
    (the German production manager) was fastidious when it came to keeping it looking prim and proper. Early each morning he had a crew raking the gravel and tending to the flower beds he’d had planted.

After a few glasses of wine the trio decided they’d have a little race around the area. They jumped in their 911s and began dashing around the village, doing great slides and spinning the cars in circles.

"I’ll never forget, Jo suddenly whipped his car around and blasted right through one of the flaps on the side of the tent,” says Derek, chuckling.

By the time they were finished it looked as if the 10th Panzer Division had just come through . . .
    ’ (p327)
    . . .
    Wrote the Guy, once . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . I'm sure that you're busy, and I don't want to be too long-winded here, but --- I was wondering . . .

. . . I have an old car that I am looking for some help with. And a Story . . .

In late 2008, I found and purchased an old Porsche 911. The car came with very little documentation, and so, being a curious sort . . . I tried to put-together what history I could. Well, after searching for + finding some previous owners, contacting several registration agencies, posting all sorts of nonsense on-line, even pestering Porsche’s Archives . . . and just generally making a nuisance of myself . . .

. . . I discovered that my car had once belonged to Jo Siffert.

!

Now, Mr Siffert actually owned a Porsche agency, in Switzerland --- he was a car dealer . . . so, by itself --- such an occurrence/vehicle may not seem that unique. What is unique, though, is that he acquired his car from Porsche directly, then kept it for some time – almost a year-and-a-half, it seems . . . with the car only leaving his possession at auction, after his death.

Anyway . . . as to my reason for contacting you . . .

I read Michael Keyser’s book --- ‘A French Kiss with Death.’ You worked with Mr Siffert during the filming of the movie ‘Le Mans.’ And I don’t mean to seem (too) desperate or (that) cloying, but . . .

. . . do you recall anything of any of Mr Siffert’s personal cars? He seems to’ve had several 911s --- one of which appears in several photos taken there/then, and, well . . . . you can imagine my interest --- some.

And, also, anything else? What was it all like --- to work there? Mr Keyser account includes many interesting occurrences . . . including a description of an ‘event’ that took place, one evening --- a car race in/around/through (gulp!) The Village . . . with yourself, Mr Siffert, and one Mr McQueen.

Not all work, eh?

Anyway . . . (very much) more --- about the car, me, the search, and so on, here . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Ten-Fifty-nine

A bit of a slog, but . . . it’s been almost 6 years.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely, etc
    . . .

Never heard back . . .

. . . Busy Guy, I guess

Just came across this

Last edited by LongRanger; 01-02-2022 at 08:18 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

New Year's Resolution . . .

. . . time for The Trip

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    . . . Have you thought of taking all this info with you, in person, to Stuttgart? Make an appointment with the Archives... see the Museum, factory tour, etc.

I imagine you can cajole what you need out of the right people face to face.

Your determination and enthusiasm would be hard to turn away
    . . .
    Let's hope so

Going out this evening . . .

'. . . I am writing you regarding access to Porsche's archives relating to 1970 Porsche 911S, VIN 911 030 1059. I am the owner of this vehicle --- please refer to the enclosed documentation

I have owned this car since Feb 2009, and have been driving and enjoying it while slowly repairing it. At the same time, I have also been trying to document what I can of its history. Several years ago, I received some assistance from the Porsche Archive that helped me determine the car's original configuration, and also verify its original engine and other details

I was also informed of a small detail about the vehicle's history. The car was originally built in late '69/early '70, and had an unusual dealer designation of 'factory use.' Later, in Apr '71, this vehicle was sold by 'Versuch' to 'Jo Siffert, Fribourg, Schweiz' --- a professional driver employed by Porsche at the time. Apart from that, I was told there was no other history regarding this vehicle

I hope you can appreciate my curiosity. It is amazing enough that this car has survived all this time more-or-less intact. And I have already documented 5 subsequent owners --- in Switzerland and the US. But, except for a small reference to Versuch and Jo Siffert, I know nothing of the vehicle's origins

My request is simple --- and also selfish. While there may be no 'history' recorded in Porsche's archives, perhaps there are photographs of 911 030 1059? . . . when Mr Siffert received the car? . . . or when he visited the factory? . . . or when he took the car to Le Mans, in Jun '70? Such photographs would date from Dec '69 to Oct '71 --- which would be the specific area of my inquiry

Would it be possible for me to see Porsche's archives, to search for photographs, or any records, of Mr Siffert with 911 030 1059?

Thank you for you time

Mit freundlichen Grüsse
    . . .'

. . . 'sides --- it's only been 8 years, right?

Fingers crossed

Last edited by LongRanger; 01-03-2022 at 04:26 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

'. . . Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht, ich bin bis 10.01.2022 außer Haus. Ich habe nur eingeschränkt Zugriff auf mein Postfach und werde Emails nach meiner Rückkehr beantworten.

Thank you for your message. I am out of the office until January 10th, 2022.
    I will answer your message after my return.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    . . .'

We Can Be Heroes

'Zoll' Plate

Interesting post --- with some numbers, date ranges, etc . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post645826

Always wondered about this pic --- w/ details that could match 1059 . . . the color, the bumper guards, maybe a retracted right-side antenna . . . and is that a '70 Le Mans 'pit pass' in the windshield? . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...s-parking-Pass

Tried contacting Mssr Missbauer (several times) --- to get a larger/clearer image . . .

. . . zero response

So, looking at this photo, again --- 'Zoll' plates. Bit hard to make out but looks like . . .

...................428 Z-9725

Wonder if Porsche can confirm?

Last edited by LongRanger; 01-03-2022 at 10:34 AM.

We Can Be Heroes