Page 96 of 109 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Maybe the movie car was to get ready to ship to the US-- so on go the sugar scoops to meet DOT codes
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    If we're talking about the headlights, then I don't think the car in the forecourt has proper lights even fitted
    No I meant the foglights- these aren't hella 139/169

Were under bumper fog lamps standard for the 1970 911S with US equipment? They are not listed separately on the invoice.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...e-911-S/page10

Name:  steve-mcqueen-porsche-911s-1970-15.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  107.2 KB

Zuffenhausen Responds . . .

. . . thanks very much for your e-mail.

Congrats on your car. As you wrote that you already got all information we have, unfortunately I doubt that we would have more data or even pictures of Jo Siffert with this car.

Today we wouldn't be allowed handing out even that information any more.

You might know that besides being a race-driver Jo Siffert was a car-Dealer for (mainly) used Porsches & Racecars – so this one surely wasn't the only car that was sold to him 😉 Will have a short look, but please don´t expect any positive results on this inquiry . . .

With kind regards from Zuffenhausen
    . . .'

We Can Be Heroes

Reply to Zuffenhausen . . .

'. . . Well, you never know what you might find in your archive

As you said, Mr Siffert was a dealer. I have read that he also supplied Porsches to the movie 'Le Mans' . . . including the 'McQueen' car seen in the movie, 911 030 1502. I was hoping to find a photo of Mr Siffert with his car --- or perhaps a 'rechnung' similar to the one attached

I had been told that the transaction of cars to Mr Siffert was handled by Helmuth Bott --- on a 'hand-shake' basis. Which is why I was hoping there might be photographs somewhere in the Porsche Archive

Anyway, I appreciate your prompt response --- and good luck with your search

Meanwhile, what can you tell me about 'versuch'? There are a number of cars with records that mention this; do you know what does this reference means?

Also --- if you ever need any help looking through your archive . . . I would be very happy to help!

Thank you, again

Mit freundlichen Grüsse
    . . .'

Attached Images Attached Images      

We Can Be Heroes

A Further Reply to Zuffenhausen . . .

Just sent . . .

'. . . Here is some information I have collected regarding 911 030 1059

You mentioned that Mr Siffert was a dealer for Porsche, as well as a driver, and so he would have had contact with numerous cars through his dealership. But I believe ‘1059’ was something else

Brian Redman, another driver hired by Porsche, wrote that Porsche expected all of its Team Drivers to drive to their races --- and to drive Porsches. To help facilitate this, Mr Redman wrote . . .

‘. . . The ten factory drivers could each order a car, drive it for a year, and then at the end of the year either give it back or buy it at a special price . . .’

Aug 2018 Panorama, p36, Porsche Club of America

I’ve included a copy of the ‘fahrzeuglarlei’ for 1059; it contains several interesting references

Note the ‘Handler-Nr.’ at the top right; ‘100’ indicates ‘factory use.’ I take this to mean that 1059 was not built for or sold to any customer but was instead the property of Porsche KG

I understand that this document was used to record warranty work --- but there are no entries. There is, however, a hand-written note across the middle of the document . . .
    ‘. . . Versuch, verk. 4.71 aus

x Jo Siffert, Fribourg, Schweiz
    . . .’

The reference to Mr Siffert is interesting by itself --- but so is the date: ‘4.71’ . . . a year after the car was built. There is also a reference to an address --- XXXXXXXX . . . which is a residence, not a business

So now, reading Mr Redman’s comments above, this could be a car that was sold to Mr Siffert after he used it the previous year. I would think that Porsche would have some record of such a transaction --- especially for a car as valuable as a 911 . . . which is why I have contacted you

I have some history of the car after Fribourg. There was an auction of Mr Siffert’s assets in Fribourg, Schweiz, in January ’72, following his death at Brands Hatch. 1059 spent several years in Switzerland, passed through a dealer in Davos, Georg Durst AG, before being purchased by an American and imported to California circa 1980. The car then went through 2 more owners before I found it in North Carolina

No one knew anything about the history of 1059

I would appreciate any information that you can share from Porsche's archives. And, if you are too busy, I would be more than happy to help search!

Thank you, again

Mit freundlichen Grüsse

etc

PS One more thing --- do you know what this '382' means? It is hand-painted on the inside of the right rear swing arm
    . . .'

Attached Images Attached Images     

We Can Be Heroes

Another Zuffenhausen Response . . .

'. . . I certainly understand your effort, at the Corporate Archive we just have the production sheet of (more or less) every car.

No further conversation, no bills, no customer information, just the production sheet.

This is the basis for the Porsche Classic Technical Certificate (former: CoA).

Don't know where that sheet you´ve attached comes from, but if this is from Porsche it might be that the car was used for testing Reasons (-> Versuch) and then a year after production sold to Siffert. Like many others before and thereafter, it just normal that quite a lot of cars were used internally before they were sold to external customers. But unfortunately we don´t have any records on those cars who where and why they were used internally before being sold, sorry.

I don´t know what 382 means, in former production times several parts of the same production number (same car) were indicated with matching digits so that the right parts were assembled to the correct car, maybe this is kind of the same here
    . . .'

Hm --- well, the first thing that strikes me is the comment . . .

'. . . Don't know where that sheet you´ve attached comes from . . .'

Sheesh --- I mean, it says 'Porsche' right across the front of it plain-as-day. So it would seem my Correspondent doesn't recognize the Holy Grail Porsche-generated document we refer to as The Kardex?

!

I thought I've seen a photograph somewhere on our site that shows some PCA Guys (?) rummaging through a 3- or 4-drawer file full of these documents, on some tour of the Archives, years ago, now --- with a then-/current-Manager of the Archive looking on

!

Anyone have that picture? --- or know where I can get a copy? . . . 'cause I'd like to send that back, maybe find out what else they're not aware of

2nd thing that I noticed, of course . . .

. . . the comments about 'the production sheet . . . . the basis for the Porsche Classic Technical Certificate . . .'

We Can Be Heroes

I'd bet that in today's privacy-oriented culture (especially in EU) that Porsche employees are instructed to not acknowledge even the existence of the kardex.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Kardex cabinet at Porsche Archives

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

Anyone have that picture? --- or know where I can get a copy? . . . 'cause I'd like to send that back, maybe find out what else they're not aware of
    I think you are referring to this post, Rick.
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post756186

-Bryce
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Picture of Porsche's Kardex Files

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    . . . think you are referring to this post . . .
    Thant's it, Bryce! --- excellent . . .

. . . thank you, Sir!

4 hr, 19 min

We Can Be Heroes