Page 97 of 109 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

'Round the 'Ring . . .

. . . w/Mr Siffert

Eric referred to this book, here . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gratz View Post
    . . . screenshots of the two cars from the original image posted on timeless-addict.ch. The link to the original image is

https://timeless-addict.ch/il-sappel...rt-jo-siffert/
    . . .
    . . . so I actually purchased a copy --- 'Il's appelait Siffert, Jo Siffert'

TONs o' photographs. Interesting stuff, too --- mostly about races . . . but one particularly interesting passage . . . about Mr Siffert taking a Journo ‘round the ‘Ring . . .

. . . in a 911S!

'. . . after the last qualifying session for the German Grand Prix, I was able to do a lap of this track alongside Jo Siffert in his private road car . . .

. . . Even though he was driving quite quickly, Siffert was able to explain, at each tricky section, what a Formula 1 driver can experience at the wheel of a machine that is twice as powerful and half the weight of the Porsche 911S
    . . .'

J Deschenaux
    La Liberté, 03.08.1971

What I’d give for a photo from THAT day

Anyway, I mostly purchased the book to try to contact the Writer . . .

. . . check-out some of the references . . .

. . . maybe even some of the Contributors

‘Cause ya never know . . .

. . . maybe somebody has a story to tell? . . .

. . . or a picture to share?

Last edited by LongRanger; 02-05-2022 at 11:04 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Kinds of Documentation

Seems like a discussion --- about the kinds of documentation Porsche has for their cars . . . has been brewing for a while now. So, since I'm about to bring-up this topic with the Museum anyway, I thought I might pull-together some of what's been brought up here, on our site

First-up? --- the good 'ol Kardex . . . even if that's not what it's really called. Whole thread of examples . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post255555
    Apparently originally used to log warranty work done at the Faktory, it also contains all sorts of detailed information about the vehicle --- colors + upholstery, codes + (sometimes) descriptions for the options fitted, the dealer + customer the car was sold to, key codes --- even the kind of tires the car came with. Super useful . . . + sometimes very interesting/revealing

(And as long as we're talking about Dealer Codes . . .)
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...window+sticker

(. . . and throw-in 'option codes,' while we're at it)
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...t=option+codes

For cars delivered in the US, there's also what's called the 'window sticker' . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...t=option+codes

Now, _gonbau and Tomster had an interesting exchange in this thread . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1117844
    . . . about something called a Kraftfahrzeugbrief (motor vehicle registration). Make sense, of course --- but I never heard of it (not the German version, anyway) --- + not strictly a Porsche doc . . . but its mention kinda got me to write this whole post

Next-up --- Fahrzeug-Auftrag (vehicle order) . . . basically Porsche's own internal order about what to build. This doc gets mentioned off-and-on, but davep's post shows one . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post931488
    . . . and Hugh's follow-up gives a closer look . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post931516

And in that same thread, Bryce shows off a Faktory invoice . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post931465

Then there 're couple more-obscure ones --- like the Internationaler Zulassungsschein (international registration certificate) for cars being exported (?) . . . like this one for the McQueen car . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post696977
    Another a page out of this document shows some details of the delivery . . . like the 'zoll' plate . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post696569

And another very interesting document is the actual customer's Rechnung (invoice) copy --- again, for the McQueen car . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post696418
    Oh-yeah --- check-out that number at the bottom-right corner --- Sondernachlass . . . special discount = 15% (!) Noyce!

Anyway --- gives some idea as to the kinds of 'documentation' that can be available for our cars

Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-07-2022 at 07:33 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Jacques Deschenaux . . .

. . . sent this evening . . .

'Bonjour Monsieur Deschenaux. . .

Je m'appelle Rick Kreiskott et cette adresse e-mail m'a été donnée par Mark Morrissey, du Early 911S Registry --- un site Web sur les anciennes Porsche

Je possède une de ces voitures et j'ai essayé de faire des recherches sur son histoire

J'ai récemment entendu parler d'un livre intitulé Il s'appelait Siffert, Jo Siffert, de Sébastien Morand, et j'en ai acheté un exemplaire. Dans le livre, il y a une citation tirée d'un article que vous avez écrit pour La Liberté, daté du 03.08.71, sur la conduite autour du Nurburgring dans une Porsche 911 conduite par Jo Siffert

Je me rends compte que cela fait très, très longtemps, mais pourriez-vous m'en dire plus sur ce lecteur ? Je demande parce que je possède une des Porsche de M. Siffert. . . et je suis curieux de savoir si ce pourrait être la même voiture que vous avez conduite

J'ai un dossier montrant que la voiture que je possède a été vendue à M. Siffert peu de temps après que vous ayez écrit votre article. À cette époque, M. Siffert était pilote pour Porsche et devait donc conduire une de leurs voitures chaque fois qu'il se rendait à une course. Je me demande si la mienne est la voiture dans laquelle vous avez conduit. Vous rappelez-vous des détails sur la voiture ? --- sa couleur, son intérieur, quoi que ce soit ?

J'ai beaucoup appris sur l'histoire de la voiture --- je suis le 8ème propriétaire ! . . . mais je sais très peu de choses sur ses premières années. J'apprécierais tout ce dont vous vous souviendrez ou me direz. En tant que journaliste, je suis sûr que vous pouvez apprécier mon enquête

Et --- Si vous avez un intérêt. . . Je peux vous raconter le reste de l'histoire

Merci pour votre temps

Sincèrement

rvk
    . . .

'Hello, Mr Deschenaux . . .

My name is Rick Kreiskott and I was given this e-mail address by Mark Morrissey, from the Early 911S Registry --- a web-site about old Porsches

I own one of these cars and have been trying to research its history

I recently heard about a book called Il s’appelait Siffert, Jo , by Sebastien Morand, and I purchased a copy. In the book, there is a quote taken from an article you wrote for La Liberte, dated 03.08.71, about driving around the Nurburgring in a Porsche 911 driven by Jo Siffert

I realize it has been a long, long time, but could you tell me more about this drive? I ask because I own one of Mr Siffert’s Porsches . . . and I’m curious if it might be the same car you drove in

I have a record showing that the car I own was sold to Mr Siffert not long after you wrote your article. At that time, Mr Siffert was a driver for Porsche, and so was expected to drive one of their cars whenever he went to a race. I wonder if mine is the car you drove in. Do you recall any details about the car? --- its color, interior, anything?

I have learned a lot of history about the car --- I am the 8th owner! . . . but I know very little about its early years. I would appreciate anything you can remember or tell me. As a journalist, I’m sure you can appreciate my inquiry

And --- If you have any interest . . . I can tell you the rest of the story

Thank you for your time

Sincerely
    . . .'

Fingers crossed

Last edited by LongRanger; 10-11-2022 at 11:18 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

All of this info would make for a great book about your search, your car and Jo Siffert…
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    . . . All of this info would make for a great book about your search, your car and Jo Siffert . . .
    I dunno, Peter . . .

. . . sometimes all of this feels like a Seinfeld episode . . .

. . . a show about nothing

And frustrating

On the one hand, there all these people --- racers and sponsors and people who knew the man, spent time with him, worked with him, raced + played with him . . . still alive, still out-and-about . . .

. . . but who never talk about him, share any stories . . . or answer any inquiries

I get it . . . busy people, car people --- famous . . . but no interest in chatting about some other Famous (dead) Guy . . . even if they remember anything. And, I mean --- I'm asking after a car, fercryinoutloud. I'm a yutz

But --- ya wanna know the REALLY frustrating part? No photographs! I mean --- the man was always in the public eye . . . there must be hundreds of thousands of pictures of him . . . good-lookin' Guy, too

But almost none of his cars --- at least that I've found. You'd think with all those snaps being taken, someone would've caught him out in a car park, somewhere/sometime

That's why I'm still holding-out for something in Porsche's Arkives. I mean --- if the outfit that made the cars doesn't have a picture of one of their team drivers driving one? . . .

. . . then I don't know who would

I mean --- think about it . . .

. . . ten Team Drivers . . .

. . . given ten new cars every year . . .

. . . and NO RECORDS?

Seriously?

Maybe it's not just a matter of what to look for

Maybe it's more a matter of where . . .
    https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bes...redible-museum

Last edited by LongRanger; 02-17-2022 at 07:07 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Meanwhile --- From France . . .

. . . this

!

'Cher Monsieur,

Merci pour votre message.

Je me souviens très bien du tour de circuit du Nürburgring que j’avais fait à côté de Jo Siffert en 1971. C’était juste incroyable et je suis heureux que Jean-Marie Wyder ait reproduit mon article dans son livre.

Il est possible que la Porsche 911 S que vous possédez soit la sienne car elle était verte, comme celle de votre photo. Chaque année, il en recevait une nouvelle de l’usine puis vendait l’ancienne. Je n’ai en revanche aucune idée des ces ventes et je ne peux pas vous aider dans vos recherches.

Quant aux personnes qui travaillaient avec lui à cette époque et qui auraient pu vous renseigner, elles sont malheureusement toutes décédées.

Avec mes meilleures salutations,

Jacques Deschenaux

'Dear Sir,

Thank you for your message.

I remember very well the lap of the Nürburgring circuit that I did alongside Jo Siffert in 1971. It was just incredible and I am happy that Jean-Marie Wyder reproduced my article in his book.

It is possible that the Porsche 911 S you own is his because it was green, like the one in your photo. Each year, he received a new one from the factory and then sold the old one. However, I have no idea of ​​these sales and I cannot help you in your research.

As for the people who worked with him at that time and who could have provided you with information, they are unfortunately all deceased.

With my best wishes
    . . .'

Made my day --- even if it isn't the best news . . .

. . . and no pics

Oh, well . . .

. . . after all . . .

. . . it's just a car

We Can Be Heroes

At least, you had an answer. Also, this doesn't prove that your car isn't the right one.

Jacques Deschenaux.2

Cher Monsieur . . .

Merci pour votre réponse rapide!

J'ai été ravi de lire votre trajet avec M. Siffert. Je n'ai qu'une seule de ses voitures --- et je ne sais que ce que les autres ont écrit sur lui. Comment était-il? Et comment avez-vous pu faire un tour avec lui --- dans sa voiture ?

Comme vous l'avez écrit --- de nombreuses personnes qui l'ont connu sont décédées.

Mais vous n'êtes pas --- et moi non plus.

Et peut-être quelques mots et images --- et des voitures. . . pourrait maintenir en vie quelque chose qui pourrait autrement disparaître ?

Merci encore pour votre remarque.

Sincèrement

Dear, Sir . . .

Thank you for your prompt response!

I was excited to read about your drive with Mr Siffert. I only have one of his cars --- and know only what others have written about him. What was he like? And how were you able to take a drive with him --- in his car?

As you wrote --- many of the people who knew him are deceased.

But you are not --- and neither am I.

And perhaps some few words and pictures --- and cars . . . might keep alive something that could otherwise disappear?

Thank you, again, for your note

Sincerely

We Can Be Heroes

Jacques Deschenaux.3

. . .

Cher Monsieur,

Jo Siffert était comme un grand frère pour moi. Je l’ai connu en 1962 et jusqu’à sa mort j’ai été son chroniqueur, puis biographie après 1971. Je l’ai accompagné sur de nombreux Grands Prix de F1 et épreuves d’endurance.

Je vous conseille de consulter le site www.josiffert.com qui est tenu par son fils Philippe. Vous y trouverez à peu près tout ce que vous désirez savoir sur lui, et même acheter la biographie ‘’Jo Siffert, tout pour la course’’ que j’ai publiée en 1972.

Avec mes meilleurs messages

JDx

Dear Sir,

Jo Siffert was like a big brother to me. I met him in 1962 and until his death I was his columnist, then biography after 1971. I accompanied him on many F1 Grands Prix and endurance events.

I advise you to consult the site www.josiffert.com which is run by his son Philippe. You will find there almost everything you want to know about him, and even buy the biography "Jo Siffert, everything for the race" that I published in 1972.

With my best messages

JDx

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Interesting post --- with some numbers, date ranges, etc . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post645826

Always wondered about this pic --- w/ details that could match 1059 . . . the color, the bumper guards, maybe a retracted right-side antenna . . . and is that a '70 Le Mans 'pit pass' in the windshield? . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...s-parking-Pass

Tried contacting Mssr Missbauer (several times) --- to get a larger/clearer image . . .

. . . zero response

So, looking at this photo, again --- 'Zoll' plates. Bit hard to make out but looks like . . .

...................428 Z-9725

Wonder if Porsche can confirm?

(.....)I guess I had been here several times but I had never stopped to read it at all!
    I was rereading the post in parts and started searching before reading on. In the same way, the illustration seems to me quite "fun" to be in this post!
    https://drivr.be/2022/01/18/eerbetoo...n-oude-garage/
    Name:  dtt.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  55.5 KB