member #1515
    Is this just the engine rebuild?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Is this just the engine rebuild?
    +1.

Inquiring minds want to know.

took my engine for a rebuild January 16, 2021 ; got it back completed August 15, 2022. just over a year and a half. Other jobs come in to the shop and your engine goes to the back burner. I found the same experience in body shops as well.
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Jacques Deschenaux.4

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . mentioned earlier that two things showed-up.

The first was an old-school lead repair, on the left rear quarter, that John found was unwinding, probably done sometime in the early 70s. John said that this kind of repair was already being phased-out, back when he was first starting out doing body-work, so it was probably done back then. Well-done, too --- John was impressed. We talked a little about lead repairs. Lead is a effing deadly poison. If you've ever seen really old cars being taken down these days, the people doing the work are usually in full-on haz-mat suits because of the lead-based primers and fillers used 'back in the day.' Grampa's Buick is a Super-fund Site. I suppose lead repairs might make sense for some projects --- leading small seams or panel-edges --- but modern materials are not only safer, but better -- as in more stable. The lead in 1059 was beginning to bubble the paint, which was how John found it, in the first place. Plastic fillers don't effect paints. Or metals. Or chromosomes.

The second item that showed-up was a factory-primed replacement left front quarter. Remember that chunked after-market air-horn, busted bracket, and the braze-repaired battery box? Looks like 1059 took a hit of some kind after all. Like the lead-repair, the fender had been replaced a long time ago --- long enough to have the old-style olive factory primer on it. That's probably when the later 'S' front bumper-cum-spoiler was added, I'll betcha
    . . .

Cher Monsieur . . .

Cela fait quelques mois que je n'ai pas écrit. J'espère que tu vas bien.

Votre dernière note mentionnait le site www.josiffert.com, mais ce site n'est plus actif. Phillipe Siffert apparaît sur Facebook et d'autres sites de médias sociaux. . . alors je vais peut-être essayer de le contacter, là.

En attendant, j'ai une question pour vous, puisque vous avez écrit que vous étiez son chroniqueur.

Vous souvenez-vous si M. Siffert a déjà accidenté une de ses voitures « personnelles » ? Je pose cette question parce que le véhicule que j'ai a eu un accident il y a longtemps --- et a fait l'objet de réparations assez élaborées. . . rien à voir avec ce qui se ferait, aujourd'hui.
    Quoi qu'il en soit, merci encore pour votre temps.

Cordialement

Dear Sir . . .

It has been a few months since I last wrote. I hope that you are well.

Your last note mentioned the website www.josiffert.com, but that site is no longer active. Phillipe Siffert does appear on Facebook and other social media sites . . . so perhaps I will try to contact him, there.

Meanwhile, I have a question for you, since you wrote that you were his columnist.

Do you recall if Mr Siffert ever crashed one of his 'personal' cars? I ask this because the vehicle I have was in an accident, long ago --- and had some rather elaborate repairs performed . . . nothing like what would be done, today.

Anyway, thank you again for your time.

Sincerely

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks for the update.

member #1515
    Glad things are progressing.For many years lead was superior to plastic fillers, maybe there are newer better alternatives, but lead is basically inert and I don't understand how it would make paint bubble.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Lead + Tin

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    . . . For many years lead was superior to plastic fillers, maybe there are newer better alternatives, but lead is basically inert and I don't understand how it would make paint bubble . . .
    It's not the lead that causes the problem . . .

. . . it's the tin that it's mixed with

Like you said --- lead 's inert. But I'm guessing tin 's not (?) --- and is needed, to get the lead to stick to steel

'Lead' solder has a mixture of tin in it --- ideally ~30%, more-or-less, for car bodies, anyway . . . depending on who you ask

And apparently, tin doesn't like paint, so --- too much tin = paint un-sticking

We Can Be Heroes

Jacques Deschenaux.5

'. . . Cher Monsieur,

Je n’ai pas souvenir d’un accident que Jo Siffert aurait eu avec une de ses voitures personnelles.

Meilleures salutations
    . . .'

Dear Sir,

I don't remember an accident that Jo Siffert would have had with one of his personal cars.

Best regards

We Can Be Heroes

A Chart from The Machine Shop . . .

. . . showing measured CFM thu the intakes (red) + exhausts (blue) w/the valves installed

I'm not interested in all-out horsepower, here

The point of all this is to even-out the power from each cylinder and minimize any stresses in the engine. Balancing the reciprocating assembly will help, as well. And we're keeping everything as stock as possible --- from the semi-krusty un-restored air-box on top to those kooky windage screens in the bottom

Short Version:
    • If it's dirty? --- clean it
    • If it's broken? --- fix it
    • Restore as a last resort
    • And only replace what's missing --- with OG

When Marco's done here, it may not be the prettiest engine . . .

. . . but I hope it'll be the sweetest

We got some driving to make up!

***532530***

We Can Be Heroes

6301439 . . .

. . . looks like all the engine bits are finally in the same building

Last edited by LongRanger; 11-15-2022 at 07:18 AM.

We Can Be Heroes