Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: Rear Seat Delete....new high quality reproduction

FS: Rear Seat Delete....new high quality reproduction

Well folks, while I've been waiting for the houndstooth fabric to be finished (it's coming!), I've put together another product.

I've got an original rear seat delete that a friend of mine wanted to use to make one for himself. So, while doing that we decided that we might as well do it right and make it as close as possible to the original specs and hardware.

The only thing we didn't do was to mimic the cheap construction... Seriously, if anyone has taken a close look at the construction of an original it's clear that Franz made it on a Friday afternoon after a 3 bier lunch!

We've taken the specs exactly from the original, we're using jigs and main material is marine grade birch plywood. The under support pieces are solid wood as opposed to plywood.

Took quite a while but we've sourced hardware knobs that are almost identical, and they remove so that you can put original type vinyl pulls underneath them. We may be able to offer locking type pulls for just a slight price increase. The hinges are exactly the same, and we will paint them black before shipment (factory ones are black painted as well).

Contours were followed exactly, so it does have the relief cut in the back for the rollbar, with a steel plate covering the relief cut.

The finish of the wood was done extremely nicely, with the screw holes countersunk and matching wood plug placed in them. The buddy of mine who made the wood portion is a high end finish cabinet maker and is very proud of his work, even if it's going be covered!

The support hardware pieces are die stamped for a nice finish as well, and the bend was done on a "brake".

Best of all, this piece is available as seen for $375 plus shipping. We'll leave it to you to cover to match your interior.

tks,
    Eric
    elinden@earthlink.net
    Last edited by Soterik; 11-07-2014 at 11:37 AM.

A few more pictures, and one of the first proto installed in a 1980 SC. Note that we've test fit this into one of my cars, and it works perfectly so any car from 1965 to 1989 will work just fine.

The black one in the background is the original that we took the specs from.

cheers,
    Eric
    Last edited by Soterik; 11-07-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Eric, Looks GREAT. The Quality shows in the wood and the construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Nice piece!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

looks very nice. How much does it weigh?
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Very nice and price is VERY reasonable. I'm in/was in the trade and would have a difficult time replicating for that $. Also owned a original and I can attest they were indeed "cheaply constructed".
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

It looks very nice as...I wonder how it will look just varnished

Fine German carpentry

where are you shipping from?
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

We will have the weight just a little later today.

Shipping is from Seattle, WA., and it will be just what it costs, no "handling fees".

Thanks for the props! The guy who did the woodwork has also done some really nice cherry cabinet work for me, and he's a "car guy", so it was pretty easy to convince him to do the work. It was his idea to do it in a high grade wood so that it would show a little nicer. He thought that just maybe there might be someone who would want to just put it in "as is" with just a nice finish on the wood.

regards,
    Eric

VERY cool, and super nice.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

It weighs 12 lbs 2 oz. The original weighs 14 lbs with the carpeting and upholstery. We also weighed the seat bottoms and backs that we took out and they also weigh 14 lbs. So, it seems like pretty much a direct swap weight wise.

tks,
    Eric