Thread: FIA Historic 'Sporting' Rally Championship

FIA Historic 'Sporting' Rally Championship

I am keen to build an early 911 to compete on the FIA Sporting Historic Rally Championship and for financial reasons this would have to be a Category 1 car.

The Category 1 cars which are relevant to the 911 are restricted to GT cars homologated before the 31/12/1969 running in Group 3 specification.

Category 2 cars could be either GT or Competition GT Cars which meand thay could run in Group 4 specification.

Looking at Appendix K this would ge a period G1 car which complies with Group 3 Homologation and hence musty comply with Appendix J of the same period.

All very confusing.

If we build a 1969 911S which complies with Homologation Form 608 but exclusing andy Group 4 parts I believe this would be accepted and reasonably competitive.

We would, however, prefer to build a SWB car such as a 1968 911T, especially with the interest in the T/R.

I would like to build a T/R Replica and I believe that the T was homologated into Group 3 with 46IDA carbs, Titanium rods and Carrera 6 cams and 10.3:1 pistons but I can't seem to find the Twin Plug ignition.

I would like to use a T/R but with Twin Plugs and as many fibreglass panels as possible.

Does anyone have any entry lists to show if any of the Group 3 cars used in Period had Twin Plug Motors

Thanks

Joe

I suppose one of the best things to do is talk to the preparation experts, the likes of Tuthills here in the UK or whoever your local guy is. Tuthills prepare numerous cars for Historic stage rallying and will have a good idea of the dos and don'ts
    Cheers

Mike

Gruppe 3

Hi Joe,
    If you read correctly the homologation papers that you will see that there is not much room for upgrades, epecially under Appendix J, if you move up to appendix K there is a lot more.
    Remember that the T ran as a Touring car and won the title in that year, so not sure that you can do the T/R thing except in Appendix K.
    The other thing is the competition, if you stay under 2000 cc consider the Renault Alpines,Triumphs and Datsun and the 914/6's.
    If you get a 2.2 that you might want to go all the way to 2.5 according Appendix K-you are running here against the big guns and the class between 2.0 and 2.5 ltr is often running with above 2.5 ltr...Jaguars,Cobra's,Healeys,Stratos....
    I would invest and get the homologation papers for T and S and than compare with the appendixes J and K.
    It is the best start and some of the organizers take it quite serious when you are running up front....know that out of my own experience...
    Have you ever heard of flour to measure the track, taking the carburetors off to check the diameter of the intake, or a combustion test to identify the engine placement.....
    regards Stefan GTSclassics
    702 353 7175
    ClassicCarSeats.com

I realise that Historic Cars have to run in accordance to Appendix K but you can also apply any modifications permitted by Appendix J covering the period of the car/class.

I agree that Appendix K seems more liberal but I think this only applies to Competiton Touring or Competition Grand Touring cars

As we want to run a car in Category 1 the class we would enter would be B4 which is 1600-2000cc. B5 is for cars over 2.0 litres and the cut off date is for cars homologated before 31/12/1969.

The A110 for example was only homolgated as a 1600cc car in 1970 (I used to have a 1600S)

The 911 was only homologated as a 2.2 litre in April 1970 and would fall into Category 2.

I agree that in Category 2 you can run the ST or the RSR both of which would blow our budget and we would have to deal with the Stratos etc as Group 2 and Group 4 cars are permitted.

The 911 was homologated as a Touring Car in Group 2 Homolgation Form 1451 on 01/01/1966 but I don't have these papers. The Group 2 car is a 911 not specifically a T. I have looked at the Group 2 regulations for this Period and I can't see how this car could have used a twin Plug engine but I believe that Vic Elford's car used in the BRSCC

I also think that Group 2 makes it a Competition Touring Car according to Appendix K and therfore outside the scope of Category 1 for Historic Rally Championship.

I have spoken to an FIA Scrutineer that signs off HTPs without much resolution and it seems that the best way to ensure I can run T/R with a twin Plug engine is to show that such cars ran 'in period' with this type of engine as Group 3 cars.

The alternative is to show that is permitted in the Homologation Papers and that is where I am currently stuck.

If I can't Twin Plug the T/R then I think a 1969 'S' is my best option.

I have papers 577, 607, 608 and 609.