Thread: Will this sender work for my upgrade to S gauges?

Will this sender work for my upgrade to S gauges?

I have a correct '68 911S numerical Oil Temp/Pressure gauge to replace the standard non numbered/idiot light gauge in my 911 Normal. I have this sending unit to try, a friend actually gave it to me off a 912 motor he had in the shop. (I was trying to avoid buying a new one for $150 bucks or more.) Does this look like the type I need? The date code on it is actually "2.78", which obviously means it's not original to the '68 vintage 912 motor I pulled it from. I can't find a part number on it, but it is a VDO Made In Germany sender, and has a "G" and a "WK" engraved at each of the poles on the top. Also says 0-5 Kp/cm2 near the date code.

Here's a pic- anybody know if I can use this one? I'm really quite ready to get my S gauges in place.

All the best, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1968 Porsche 911 #11830133 (2009- 2012)
    1968 Porsche 911T #11820522 (1997-2007)
    Registry Member #1536
    Hagerty Insurance Guy

Missing my Porsche. Need to find another SWB project!

Current cars:
    1918 Willys-Overland Model 90BT
    1966 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1a
    1977 Chevrolet Suburban C20 "Trailering Special"
    1983 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
    1992 RHD Toyota Century

I don't like the looks of those threads, that looks like an aftermarket VDO sender with 1/8"NPT threads. The Porsche sender is M10x1.0 parallel thread and it threads into an adapter up by the engine thermostat.

Anyway, fittings aside, the VDO range is 10-180 ohms for the full scale of 0-5 Bar. You can test both your gauge and the sender fairly simply-- a variable resistor on the gauge and a mechanical pressure gauge hooked up to a source of air pressure in series with the sender, fairly easy to do.

Personally, I wouldn't trouble with a sender dated 1978, expense aside, oil pressure is arguably THE most important engine vital sign. I have flown old airplanes that only have airspeed and oil pressure, nothing else. It probably makes sense to have a known good sender working for you.

You could always send both the gauge and the sender to NH Speedometer and have them test and calibrate for you, it's not expensive.

Good luck!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Will this sender work for my upgrade to S gauges?

John is correct, it's an aftermarket VDO sender with provision for both an oil pressure gauge 'G' and oil pressure light 'WK' The pressure range is fine for a 912 motor but not high enough for a 10 bar 911 gauge. Do what John said, get the correct VDO 0-10 bar sender with the right threads.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

www.egauges.com

should have a correct sender.

for 5 bar

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indS.asp?...VDO&PN=360-006

for 10 bar

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indS.asp?...Bar&PN=360-023

Those links are for dual sending units, ie oil pressure light and oil pressure. They sell single switch units as well.
    Someone correct me if you believe this is not correct. Don't want to give out any bad info, esp when it comes to oil pressure.

eric