Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche, garage and home

Porsche, garage and home

Working in the field of fine arts, I always liked Jaudette's "Show your garage" http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=show+garage as well as Milou’s garage thread, since its an interesting insight into how people tend live with cars and homes.

For myself, I always had a different approach and maybe even only a few on this board actually like or share the same feeling: I like contemporary homes and I like garages that look truly contemporary, clean and with no frills.
    This does not mean I don't appreciate older buildings or vintage things or respect other's taste, but when I was able to build my new garage, one thing shure for me it should'nt look like another automobilia/souvenir shop garage or a so called man's cave: it does not work for me.

We recently have been able to buy into a condo to show our collection of vintage furniture as well as a 3 car garage.
    While the architecture did got inspirations from the beautiful mid-century «Case-Study» architecture in California http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Study_Houses, our house is up to date with the latest technology, comfort issues and safety features. It shares 2 other owners under one common roof but each on separate levels.

I hesitated a long time to make this kind of statement on this board.
    But since it does feature a "less is more" garage with an early 911, I hope you'll get a taste about some period furnitures as well as contemporary architecture: enjoy and feel free to contribute.

House:
    Living area with sideboard (Knoll, 1960), Clock (George Nelson, 1964),
    table lamp (Poulsen, 1967), lounge table (Eternit, 1959), chair (Eames, 1951),
    Fruit bowls (Krenit, 1961/1964), stainless-steel accessoire (König, 1967).

Home office:
    Walldrawer (Victoria, 1964), lounge chairs (Eames, 1951/1953),
    Lamp (Poulsen, 1959), Home office (Wohnbedarf, 1959)

Hallway:
    Wallpainting, Eternit flower pots (Guhl, 1967),
    lamp (Pantone, 1968), fabric (scottish, 1960ies)

Home. Parked in front of the garage

At work. parked in front of former FORD garage, now its an modern&contemporary art gallery, but with a gas station still in use.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-22-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Karim, i'm happy to be the first to tell you what you already knows:

EVERYTHING IS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!

I think that Porsche + minimalism architectural approach + modern design + contemporay art is the best mix you can have .

And, as a son of Italian Architect and modern furniture designer, i can only totally appreciate your point of view.

Hoping to meet you asap
    Best
    Andrea
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

"EVERYTHING IS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!"

As a son of a mid-century architect and owner of similar furniture as well, I very much agree!
    Eric

ESR #1610
    1973 911T 3.2 RS Clone
    1971 911S 2.4 MFI
    1970 Datsun 510 Vintage Racer

Stunning level of control and restraint. Bravo.

As a designer, Porsche enthusiast and home owner chasing a minimalist aesthetic, I am always encouraged to see what others have done.

Please post more detail shots!

Bryan

Smile Less is more

Karim,

What a wonderful place you've made, Thanks for sharing it with us.

Minimalism provides the space for each piece of furniture to stand out and have a real physical impact on its surroundings.

No place to hide. Each piece either works perfectly within the created environment or must be replaced.

I love the discipline it requires, as well as the sincerity it imposes on design.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

You don't have children do you??! Or are they in the other garage?

Eric, Btw, i have 3 children. Discipline, education and a big garden make it possibile!
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

thanks

Wow, thanks a lot for your replys - I didnt expected it !
    This board always amazes me: nice to have a varity people, of taste and interests - not just in cars !
    Ok, some more pic's for those who care.

Photo edited.

Room 3:
    Sideboard (Victoria, 1964), chair (Eames, 1951), flower pot (Eternit, +-1967),
    lamp (Pantone, 1968), table lamp (Italian, 70ies), accessoire (France, 60ies),
    404 painting by artist friend (Roulet, 2007)

Home office/terasse 1.
    Couches (Robin Day, 1968 and Wäckerlin, +-1962), chairs (Eames, 1951/1953), terrasse table (Danish, 1963) Fassade: silver-laquered wooden bars over concrete, raw concrete floor.

Staircase.
    Floor, walls and ceilings are all painted in purple, floor 2k-epoxy paint,
    walls glossy acrylic. Indirect sensor lights.

Archive.
    I do own an extensive archive about Porsche literature: I store it like this.
    One item - for show- is taken out of its custom vinyl folder.

Now finally back to Porsche's !
    This shot is my all-time favorite: strictly functional and minimalistic architecture plus a fine row of beautiful 911's: the very same design approach, just 40 years in between.
    71 2.2T, 72 2.4T, 72 2.4S, 71 2.2S (front to rear).
    Last edited by 911T1971; 04-24-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    great stuff karim!

one of my southern california friends w/ a 65 912 has an eichler house. very similar style to yours w/ furniture and everything. thought you might like this

info and pics of his Eichler house

http://charlesdanek.com/sites/eichler/index.html

info and pics on his original 65 painted dash coupe

http://charlesdanek.com/sites/porsche/index.htm#

I love the modern and minimalist look. just so clean and perfect. i really LOVE what you are doing (especially the furniture!). my girlfriends style is the complete opposite.. sometimes its hard for us to come to a solution, but somehow we make it work (lots of give and take and not going with anything unless we both agree on it. needless to say i wish i could do at least one room in my house like yours).
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

I love mid century modern and Tiki.
    Great job!
    Gives me inspiration for my next home project.
    Steve