Thread: Targa emblem (and hoop?) removal

Targa emblem (and hoop?) removal

I'm pretty sure that the targa emblem is held on by speed nuts like the decklid 911_ and PORSCHE lettering. I thus assume that you need to remove the hoop to access the speed nuts - and remove the targa emblem. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Also, does anyone have a good 'how-to' guide for the hoop removal? Can it be done without disturbing the targa panel seals etc?
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Shane Rudd (Sydney Australia - Oz delivered T )
    uh oh.....#4

both lwb ans swb targa

since both targa bar cover are interchangeable , the removal is the same
    the script is held by 2 speed nut as suspected
    you will have to remove the seal in front of the targa bar to remove it , there is a bunch of small phillips screw that hold s it in
    the hidden one are in the fender well , usually 8mm bolts covered in muck and grim , if they are stuck , use a dremel and slice the screw off , dont force it , if it break you will neeed a need cover as a stud is welded on the cover and welding a new usually result in a blue mark on the metal

freez
    now on the road 914-6
    now in the shop for concourse resto 11850275 S SWT
    daily driver B8 S4 stage 2

Hoop Removal

Don't do it unless you HAVE too. You have to most likely destroy the expensive seal, some screws are likely to be rusted, etc. etc.

You also have bolt heads with nuts under the the rear fenders, they are likely to be rusty and may break off....

-Allen-

I agree with Allen...when I replaced my "Targa" emblems...I measured carefully the stud location on the "new" emblem...marked and drilled the "old" emblem carefully from out side...was lucky and hit the stud close enough to punch in the remains of the stud with the acorn-nut still attached and just let them fall down into the "abyss"...clean off the surface and attach the new emblem with a little "drop" of Epoxy...worst scenario is that they'll fall off...big deal!.../ Lars...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Quote Originally Posted by larwik View Post
    I agree with Allen...when I replaced my "Targa" emblems...I measured carefully the stud location on the "new" emblem...marked and drilled the "old" emblem carefully from out side...was lucky and hit the stud close enough to punch in the remains of the stud with the acorn-nut still attached and just let them fall down into the "abyss"...clean off the surface and attach the new emblem with a little "drop" of Epoxy...worst scenario is that they'll fall off...big deal!.../ Lars...
    That is the way to do it!!! You can just break off the old emblem.

-Allen-

Thanks guys - I think I will go with the no-hoop-removal method.

Less chance of opening up Pandora's box simply to change the emblem from black to gold...
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus