Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuchs questions for the experts!

Fuchs questions for the experts!

I'm looking at a 1971 911S that has flat sixes on it now that were manufactured in Feb 1972 - so presumably not original. The car was manufactured in late 1970, and the COA does not specify wheel type.

Couple of newbie questions for the Fuchs experts out there.
    1) If the COA doesn't specify the "light metal wheels" option (= Fuchs, right?), does that likely mean it did not come with Fuchs? Note this COA has at least one other omission - transmission # is Not Recorded

2) How common or uncommon of an option were the Fuchs in early 70s in general? For an S specifically?

3) My understanding is that the switch from deep six to flat six Fuch happened around March of 1971 - correct? Anything more to the story than that, or pretty consistently cars after that have flat, cars before have deep when the option was selected?

I did a pretty extensive archive search on these questions, so apologies if I missed this from a previous thread.

Many thanks in advance

Ted

I believe deep six with hearts ran to apx. March 71 then switched over to deep six without hearts. I believe 72MY had flat six. Not sure when the exact switch happened. Possible July 71 mfg'd 71MY got flat six but believe it more likely it was not utilized until the actual 72MY. Harvey or someone else will know for sure.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I'm sure Harvey will give the definitive answer but for what it's worth let me share my knowledge (keep in mind that I'm metally challenged primarily from age). All S's had 15" Fuchs so the omission on the COA is nothing to worry about. I believe the deep 6's had hearts up to 11/70. Thereafter they were w/o Hearts and then switched to Flat 6's in 72 I believe. There were several width varitations - 4 1/2 X 15 on the 67S, 5 1/2 X15 on 68 and some 69's. The 67R's had 6X15's on the front and the uber rare 7X15's on the rear. Some early 911's had 5 1/2X14's but not on the S's. Some other wheels were availabe on early 911's also like the Mahle gas burners (which I believe are the lightest wheel Porsche ever made and the Cookie Cutters which I believe were made by Fuchs and were available on some 73's. Of course steelies and chromes were available too.

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Sometimes the tranny # is on the COA and sometimes it's not. I don't think they have the best records of the tranny #'s. My car was built in 7/71 and it's an 72S with flat sixes.
    72S, 72T now ST

Cookie cutter were made by ATS.
    1973 911T targa (9113510254)
    signal yellow & black
    M409 sportseats leatherette & corduroy
    M424 fuel tank 85 l with emergency tire
    M470 comfort equipment
    M473 front bumper steel with spoiler

Ted,
    The changeover date from deep 6s to flat 6s was 26 march 1971 according to the factory workshop manuals.
    Pictures are mandatory pls.

HTH,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

ok, thanks everyone - very helpful. It sounds like deep sixes were standard (not optional) on a 1971 S which clarifies that question.

I'm still interested if anyone has insight into Henk's question about this 1970 T COA with the option "light metal wheels". Is that meant to indicate the Fuchs or some other wheel type?

Thanks as always-

Ted

Ted, Bill's info is mostly correct. Early 71Ss had deep 6s but I have seen at least two unmolested cars with non bump (non heart) on the ground and a bump (heart) in the spare. They both had spares that were a month off. Looks like the spares came from a different pile....The non heart 6s were used from late 70 (Aug?) to March 71 (or so). The book is exact but some of the cars may have been finished out of order...The earliest original 71 that I have seen that had late (flat) 6s was a June build. It would be interesting to find a cut off car if there was one....The earliest Late 6 wheel that I have seen was 1/71...
    Henk..The translation varies for light metal wheels, but it usually refers to Fuchs and Cast usually refers to Mahle or ATS.
    H

I have two 70 911S cars, COAs on both cars list the transmission # as not recorded. No note on alloy wheels either.

fuchs

Just spoke with Christine at Porsche about my COA "Light Metal Wheels"
    She confirmed that the 6J15 Deep six wheels on my 70 e coupe are indeed the Light metal wheels.