Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replica cibies -ground wire issue

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar

replica cibies -ground wire issue

I finished repainting, wet sanding, cutting and polishing my replica cibies tonight and then started to reassemble them. in the process, the ground wire snapped off of the light housing. It looks like it was riveted on.

what do you recommend to fix this? can i just solder it back on? ive never soldered so any recommendations on how to do it properly would be great.

if not.. do i drill out the rivet and try to attach a screw or a new rivet? never done that either and that sounds messier..

or am i totally hosed and have to buy a new light assembly (i don't think that's the case but what do i know).

thanks!

Harry
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Harry, did you look at the other and see how it was attached? I would think rivet and if so would do same not a big deal. I would avoid solder and doubt it was attached that way unless there was a post to solder to. I have originals and repros and will look if you like just advise. Mark
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

the grounds on both lamps are rivets. the wire snapped at the base of the the circular connection that goes around the rivet.

If i re-rivet it, how do i go about it... what kind of rivet should i use, what kind of rivet gun would i need to buy?

not sure how to re-rivet, or the best method for drilling out and replacing. I wonder if replacing with a screw would be better incase this kind of thing happens again?
    Harry Hoffman

here is the damage

here is one of the lights after i finished painting.. not bad for a noob with a rattle can of custom matched ppg, and the first time color sanding.

i think i might need to use more rubbing compound though.. its glossy but still some haze when a light is directly on it (like the flash)

Harry Hoffman

Harry

If you don't have a rivet gun and aren't too confident in what you are going to do, I'd suggest taking it to your local auto electrician. It needs a new terminal on the end of the wire, and then riveted back onto the plate, either by drilling out the existing rivet (more difficult) or drilling a new hole beside it and riveting the cable terminal into it.

It is a 5 min job for a compotent spark, it probably took longer for me to type this !!! And it will be cheaper than you buying all the gear.

Basically anyone who can repair an electrical item can do this for you.
    Cheers

Mike

I'd just drill it out and replace it with a screw.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Mike is correct Harry take it somewhere if your not comfortable and ask them to watch so you can roll your own next go round, there WILL be a next time . Auto electric tech or regular mechanic will do fine. Or if your not a picky pecker just screw it per JHT.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Harry, this is a easy job, you just drill out the old rivet, they are aluminum and easy to drill. Go to a hardware store, get a pop rivet kit $20?? pick one out the right size, you want it to fit in the hole without to much play, load it in the tool, squeeze firmly a few times till it "pops" done.

Now your light is fixed, you have learned a new skill, and you have enough pop rivets for a hundred more jobs... and its fun...
    Rob Abbott

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I had a feeling i could drill it out and replace it with a screw but wanted to be sure. I'm not picky, as long as it works well and is reliable. no one will see it anyways, and its not really a half ass patch job.

I just took my lunch break and watched a video online on how to properly drill and punch out a rivet, then went out to the garage and did it (gotta love working from home and telecommuting). to quote the Icelandic guides during the top gear arctic special.. great success!

now i just need to head to the hardware store tonight get a screw and some connectors.
    Harry Hoffman

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    Harry, this is a easy job, you just drill out the old rivet, they are aluminum and easy to drill. Go to a hardware store, get a pop rivet kit $20?? pick one out the right size, you want it to fit in the hole without to much play, load it in the tool, squeeze firmly a few times till it "pops" done.

Now your light is fixed, you have learned a new skill, and you have enough pop rivets for a hundred more jobs... and its fun...

hmm.. so your average ordinary pop rivet would work eh? it looked a bit more heavy duty so i wasnt sure if those would work, or would be the best material for a ground. my dad has a cheepy pop rivet kit at home.. maybe i'll give him a call.
    Harry Hoffman