Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to adjust to keep hood from constantly opening?

what to adjust to keep hood from constantly opening?

My hood keeps unlatching during driving- thankfully, it still requires to pull up that lever to open completely otherwise I'd have some *really* undesirable situations arise while driving- anything I can adjust to correct this issue? I don't want to tinker with it and then not be able to open it- any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Marco
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

You need to tighten the center post, unscrew the nut holding it in place, a few turns, then screw in the post. Do this in small increments until it holds, then lock the post in-place re-tighten the nut. Trial and error.
    Rob Abbott

Thanks Rob- I'll give it a try
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Also, never disregard a obvious...
    Be sure the latch plate retracts freely on its spring. Sometimes the plate gets so much grime in and around it, it doesn't return anymore. Some W-D40 a exercising the latch plate usually does the trick.

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I had this problem once. It turns out the latch releases not only when the cable is pulled but also if the cable is too loose. This is apparently intended to release the hood in the event the cable breaks. In my case the cable was too loose. It took some trial and error to find that "sweet spot". I suppose wear on the latch parts adds to the problem.
    BillM

I had a similar problem. I lube the assembly with TriFlow every 6 months now and no problems!
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

So many questions, so few answers....

check "rubber snubbers" too

The rubber hood stops may be to loose as well. They may need a half turn to keep good pressure on the latch.

I second and third the comments on cleaning and lubing the latch. Did the trick for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    You need to tighten the center post, unscrew the nut holding it in place, a few turns, then screw in the post. Do this in small increments until it holds, then lock the post in-place re-tighten the nut. Trial and error.
    I had a problem with my hood unlatching too but found that I had to screw the centre post out (ie loosen it, rather than tighten it as detailed in the post above). I simply loosed it about a quarter of a turn, drove it and then then checked if it opened again. Repated this until the hood stayed shut. Interestingly the hood now latches more easily and I canfeel it engage the latch properly now. Have now driven about 500km since adjusting it, inclluding a day at Eastern Creek, and it has not opened on its own.

Cheers
    Graeme
    Cheers
    Graeme

993C4S
    911 '73RS recreation

yep -I had a huge problem with my 912 with the bonnet. I lost days of my life fiddling with it and finally got it right. You may need a few stiff drinks after you've tinkered with it. It's definately one of 2 things - the bolt length - or the cable adjustment to the latch. I worked out that my bonnet was actually twisted. Also the alignment of the bonnet is crucial - to get the bolt in the exact centre of the hole or the bonnet flexes.

Also it helps if you have a bumpy road not far away that you can test the latch out to see if it pops!

The best of good luck to all tinkering on this matter. Be patient and work in small adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman993 View Post
    I had a problem with my hood unlatching too but found that I had to screw the centre post out (ie loosen it, rather than tighten it as detailed in the post above). I simply loosed it about a quarter of a turn, drove it and then then checked if it opened again. Repated this until the hood stayed shut. Interestingly the hood now latches more easily and I canfeel it engage the latch properly now. Have now driven about 500km since adjusting it, inclluding a day at Eastern Creek, and it has not opened on its own.

Cheers
    Graeme
    Graeme,
    If this is the case, you probably need to twist the rubber snubbers in a few turns instead of loosening the post. The goal is good fit on the hood with a slight amount of downward give. If the latch tightens down against the snubbers, it will pop open while cornering
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439