Thread: space saver question

space saver question

I have just acquired an unused 1985 space saver wheel and tyre as I have become nervous having my original 1973 space saver tyre as the backup in case of a flat (especially after having to use it last year )

The wheel is the standard (later style) 5.5J x 15H2 steel wheel PN 911 361 022 11 and the tyre is a Vredestein 165 - 15 tubeless space saver.

However it has a completely different sort of valve to my 1973 space saver as shown in the attached picture.

I want to leave the original 1973 dated goodyear tyre on the original 1973 dated old style steel wheel so had planned to try to put the space saver on a spare 1972 dated flat 6 Fuchs wheel as the spare in the car and keep the old wheel and tyre in the garage.

However after seeing this strange valve setup, and Porsche telling me that they can only sell the space saver wheel and tyre together and will not sell a separate tyre, I am now questioning whether it is possible for:
    1. the newer style space saver tyres to be taken off the steel wheel and put onto the flat 6 and still have it trouble free; and
    2. using the valve shown in the picture that comes with this setup on the flat 6 (i wouldn't even think of using a deep 6 like my other 4 wheels)

Is there anyone on the list who has done this, or knows if it is technically OK to do it - I am not confident of taking the two wheels down to the local tyre shop and asking them to change the tyre over - most of them cant mount a tyre on a deep 6 sucessfully
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I'm running four 951 (944 Turbo) space savers 0n my 911 Hot Rod. The valve stems are a combination pressure relief and filler. You can get motorcycle stems that fit just be sure to keep the little washers under the existing stems. The 951's are forged aluminum 5 1/2 J 15's, very light at 10.5 pounds each and I have Goodyear Eagle GT's 195/65/VR15 on them. Have had no problems with three thousand spirited miles on them. Great period look. These on a non flaired narrow body 67 with a 3.6 pushing 300 + HP.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Hugh,
    We install them all the time, they are the same as previous tires... The new stems are as described, having a overpressure valve. We put them on the late flat 6 with a standard stem.
    They were having problems with owners turning on the pump and walking away. Therefore putting too much air in the tire (maybe exploding...). Kind of a fail safe for the people not paying attention. If you need any advise on removal, let me know.
    H

Harvey,

I removed 5 of them from the 951 rims I have. Seems like everyone was harder than the one before. Box cutters, tin snips, dikes, heavy gloves and lots of sweat. Probably should have tried a die cutter. Whats your secret? Then' theres the annodizing removal to make them polish up. Multiple applications of Oven Cleaner.

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

I demonstrated the procedure for shops over the years. I'll try to describe it..
    Since the tire has a stiff sidewall and is difficult to break the bead, we do them one at a time. First put the wheel/tire combo on the changer and break the top bead. Then while someone in pulling the opposite side down to the drop center, pull the bead on your side over the edge of the wheel. With lots of lube turn the wheel on the changer to remove the outer bead. Then we turn the wheel over to break the inside bead. Once it is broken we turn the wheel over and remove the tire using the same technique as the first bead.
    We learned this process in the 70s removing cantilever slicks from early 6s!!
    H

Harvey

Thanks for your great advice

I will print out the procedure and give it to the shop that i get to change the tyre from the existing rim to the Fuchs rim.

It is good to know the reason behind the strange valve - i will stick to a standard one when i get it changed over

regards

hugh
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776