Thread: jack and spare advice

jack and spare advice

I recently bought a '72 targa and introduced it and myself on this forum last week.

The car did not come with a jack or a spare tire. A later, larger capacity fuel tank was installed by the PO (see pic). I recall that the '72 S that I owned many years back had a full size spare, but clearly I need a collapsable one with this tank.

What spare tire/wheel combination would be best?

Also, was the OEM jack for this car a scissor or crank jack? Where was it secured in the trunk? I don't see any brackets that look like they are for securing a jack.

Finally, where and how was the lug wrench secured?

Thanks. I have many little and a few large things to sort through on this car, having a spare tire and jack are some of the first that I'm going to tackle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A cheap (sub $30) fix would be a 944 spacesaver (easy to find from 944 owners on Craigs List for $10), a couple of cans of fix a flat (try the first one on your flat tire and the second to inflate the spacesaver if needed at that point, and a metric cross lug wrench from any auto store or WalMart (good to have anyway even if you have a compressor and impact wrench at home.) Gives you some cheap peace of mind while you can patiently determine and procure the correct year/model stuff.

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

What's up with the cover on your smuggler's box? I've never seen the hump before?
    72S, 72T now ST

Battery explosion
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    What's up with the cover on your smuggler's box? I've never seen the hump before?
    I have no idea about the bump in the smuggler's box cover. It was stamped that way. When you look at the inside, it looks like a perfectly round stamping and the ribs don't go across it. From the color, this cover is not original to the car.

jack and spare advice

Hi mgrant, that hump in the smuggler's box door is from a 86 (or thereabouts) 911, which was to clear the A/C evap motor.

For the large tank that is installed you'll need the later style collapsible spare as used in SC and up which is when that tank started. It doesn't however look like that spare will go into place with that humongus battery in place. You really should go back to the two standard size batteries. The proper jack for that year was a ratchet type affair similar to what was used with VW 's. (picture shown in owner's manual) The crank handle screw type started sometime in 73. There were not any brackets for the jack, it usually was placed on top of the spare under the carpet near the front bulkhead. The lug wrench was secured in the tool pouch, which you probably don't have either.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed. I'll start searching for space saver from an SC or Carrera. I'll also be looking for a crank type jack. I don't like those ratchet-type jacks.

You're right about the battery, it's just there temporarily. I plan on going with the standard 2 small battery setup.

The suspension, brakes and engine are from an '86, so that's probably where the smuggler's box cover came from. The PO was planning on putting in A/C at some point, but never did.

Mike

New Battery's

Yes go with the duel battery system and Interstate Batteries are the way to go. I believe Model C 911.

911 jack

I have the jack that you are looking for email me for price and location,
    bob