Thread: '68 muffler options

'68 muffler options

I had a 74 or so date coded "Bischoff" muffler on my '68 before it was so rudely rear ended a month back.

Insurance company has sprung for new heat exchangers and exhaust. I'm getting SSI heat exchangers and a M&K dual in one out exhaust.

How will this M&K exhaust compare to my Bischoff as far as noise? Anyone have any practical experience? I've done some searching and I think it will be a bit louder, but not sure how much.

I drive my '68 a lot and I know I don't want a sport muffler (dual outlets) for everyday use because a loud muffler is freaking annoying when used on a regular basis (I know, sacrilige here, but I do have experience in this area and found I did not like loud). But maybe I will get my old dented Bischoff back and make a homemade sport muffler out of it "just because".

Thnaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritter View Post
    I had a 74 or so date coded "Bischoff" muffler on my '68 before it was so rudely rear ended a month back.

Insurance company has sprung for new heat exchangers and exhaust. I'm getting SSI heat exchangers and a M&K dual in one out exhaust.

How will this M&K exhaust compare to my Bischoff as far as noise? Anyone have any practical experience? I've done some searching and I think it will be a bit louder, but not sure how much.

I drive my '68 a lot and I know I don't want a sport muffler (dual outlets) for everyday use because a loud muffler is freaking annoying when used on a regular basis (I know, sacrilige here, but I do have experience in this area and found I did not like loud). But maybe I will get my old dented Bischoff back and make a homemade sport muffler out of it "just because".

Thnaks.
    Ben's a great guy and I have a triple out "Rallye" on my race car but if I were in your situation I would get a brand spanking new Dansk two in one out with a new chrome tip, and paint the thing Dove Gray.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

John, yes that would be the originality option. After doing some research on Pelican I think I will go with the single out M&K, supposedly has no drone and has a bit more bite than stock which I am probably OK with. Seems they have gone through many versions of it and each one has been made quieter. My mechanic really recommends it too.

My car is a sporto to 901 5 speed converted "normal" non L 911 with 6" flat fuchs with 195/65 tires, so it ain't winning any originality awards anyways.

It sounds like the M&K may improve power a bit also.

In the past it's that DRONE that kills the enthusiasm quickly, so if that is not there I should be OK with it.

And as backup insurance, if I don't like the M&K I can probably sell it and get a Dansk OG muffler and just about break even. That's the beancounter in me talking.