Thread: Inside job at shipping company?

Inside job at shipping company?

Or am I just paranoid? Bought a set of 4 tires/wheels flat 6s. 4 were shipped, 2 strapped together. Two arrived. I'm a bit suspicious... please see my pelican post with photo.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...g-company.html

TIA,
    Bill
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

Bill,

I read your post on Pelican. You said that they were strapped together. Do you mean that they were banded with a commercial nylon banding machine or something else? I see what looks like three pieces of packaging tape on the one you received. Is it possible that they were taped together?

It would be helpful to know who the shipper was, but if you don't want to mention it in the thread, then was it a freight carrier, or express (UPS, FedEx, USPS)?

You said that you called the carrier, but did you speak to someone in Loss Prevention? Companies can have different names for that department, but they ALL have a group which investigates loss & damage. See if you can get in touch with someone from that department and then send them hard copies or internet images of the tire/wheel combination. Get a name/number and follow up frequently. Shipping companies have unlabeled (they fall off, they rub off, they're smudged, they never had one, etc., etc.) shipments EVERY DAY. In my experience, those item are collected in a central location and attempts are made to identify the shipper/consignee.
    Some stuff is fairly easy to identify; if a new MAC, they can contact Apple, provide a serial number and get results. Used tire/wheel combinations, however, are the proverbial needle in a haystack. Without your persistent assistance, it's going to be very difficult for them to link the missing tires/wheels to you or the shipper. I would highly recommend always using a box for each (two) wheels/tires. Place a to/from label inside.

I suspect that they came apart somehow (they go through a lot more than meets the eye) and are somewhere in the shipper's facility.

I hope you find 'em.

Jim
    Thirty years with UPS
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Bill,
    This has happened to me before.. If they were insured-the insurance company will honor the claim. For quite a while now I have recommended paying the extra 8 bucks (for individual extra handling) to make sure they arrive. Or we spend 5 on a box and don't get the special handling charge and as a bonus the handler doesn't know they are Porsche wheels...And never send them with caps. They will also dissapear, or ruin the wheel if loose.
    BTW, they found our missing wheels a month later by sending a complete tire/wheel description to the loss/claims dept. (they weren't stolen, just ripped apart-yes all 10 straps)
    H

Hey everybody,

It was one of the big two shippers, and I really dont want to think they were stolen. Most everybody I have spoken with has been extremely helpful. My delivery guy, who is also a big 911 fan, called me at 7:30 Friday morning with, "Hey Bill, Ive got your Porsche wheels on my truck... Ill be right there." I had them insured for what I paid for them, which was $750, so 1/2 half of that is covered. Problem is, they were a set, the right date stamp, nice tires, you all know... it was exactly what Ineeded.

They might show up, they might not. No big deal I suppose.

I will take Harveys advice as Gospel, and eliminate the temptation from now on. I just bought another set for my 912. Brown boxes for each wheel!

Hey Harvey, I just used some aggressive Soda on a set of Fuchs I bought a few years ago. They were the white 15 X 7 with a date stamp of 3/85. The paint FLEW off of them, and the center cap was just a black one painted white. Etched the wheels more than I would like, but not to bad. It also removed the anodized outer.

Thanks for helping everybody, keep your fingers crossed.

Bill Woods
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

Tires/wheels were banded together by 3 nylon bands with turn buckles. They were applied using a commercial device to tension each band. The same bands are used in my friends business to ship plate glass. I cant see how they could have broken.

All terminals along the way have been contacted. Nothing.
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

Sad. Sure sounds like theft to me. Was the package listed in the shipper's system as something specific like "two Porsche rims banded together" or just some generic mention of cars parts? At least the former would help with insurance. It's especially a bummer to lose the matched date sets. A word to the wise for all of us, I guess.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Im afraid I ship so much stuff with my business that I fail to detail much. I just assume that it gets picked up, and it arrives at destination in a few days.

I really don't intend on implicating anybody, or implying that any PCA friends are suspect... but if any of you all are at the Carolina region PCA swap meet this weekend, please keep your eyes open. This is the area where they dissapeared. The wheels have silver paint where the black anodized were originally.

Shipper is not much help. It appears they have a crook working for them.

Thanks for looking everybody.

Bill
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

shipping issues

well at least you received 2..I am waiting on 4 new wheels that are on their way from Germany since May 21st.they have 2 sets of tracking numbers but nobody knows where they are...only 9 x 15 and 11 x 15, nothing what we like......and they came as 2 business pakets...so never use Deutsche Post or DHL...yes I am German, that's why I know these"Papenheimer"
    regards Stefan GTSclassics
    702 353 7175
    ClassicCarSeats.com