Thread: Opinion on orig 70S engine upgrade

Opinion on orig 70S engine upgrade

I am restoring my 1970 911S and my question is while rebuilding the engine what is the conventional wisdom on taking the motor up to a 2.5 ?

A little background on the car. This is a numbers matching super clean 911S that I am doing a ground up resto on. Resale is important because I am on the fence about keeping the car and may sell it as an unfinished project.

Any insight would be appreciated .
    935 Owners Registry #02
    1969 911S, 1970 Euro 914-6
    935 1978
    Copeman Porsche 911 IMSA GTO
    1981 924 Carrera GT

Some will like it and some will not. If you're going to sell it for sure than keep it stock. If it's for you and want more power than I'd say do it. I'm restoring my 72S and I had the motor done to 2.7RS spec because I love those motors and it's an fairly straight forward upgrade. I plan on keeping my car and I'm buliding it for me but you never know when you might have to sell it also.
    72S, 72T now ST

If you want max money for your matching 70S then I would leave the engine alone especially if its not a keeper. Now if it were a T then I would definitely hot rod it or replace with a 2.7RS spec engine.

Another option is to pull out and shelve your S engine and then put in a hotrod to enjoy while you decide to sell or not

Quote Originally Posted by EA911 View Post
    If you want max money for your matching 70S then I would leave the engine alone especially if its not a keeper. Now if it were a T then I would definitely hot rod it or replace with a 2.7RS spec engine.

Another option is to pull out and shelve your S engine and then put in a hotrod to enjoy while you decide to sell or not
    This is good advice...
    Cole Scrogham
    Porsche Restoration
    911, 912, 911R, RS, RSR, IROC

Quote Originally Posted by cscrogham View Post
    This is good advice...
    That has been what I usually do... even in the 935s I have used a non original case to protect the factory or Andial 935 race case against any failure that may turn the correct vintage piece into a Christmas ornament .

Pretty much what I thought... I will rebuild as per original spec or may even sell the car prior to engine build so new owner can make the call.

Thanks for the insight. I had been on the fence on this one...resolved
    935 Owners Registry #02
    1969 911S, 1970 Euro 914-6
    935 1978
    Copeman Porsche 911 IMSA GTO
    1981 924 Carrera GT