Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1974 Porsche Carrera RS (Euro/ROW) 56k Orig. miles. Very Clean. SoCal

FS: 1974 Porsche Carrera RS (Euro/ROW) 56k Orig. miles. Very Clean. SoCal

1974 Porsche Euro (ROW) Carrera RS 2.7

VIN # 9114600895
    Engine# 6641207
    91,300km or 56,700 miles (original)
    Black/A1 on Original Blue/Black Interior with Pinstripe Recaros
    915 5-speed Manual
    Clean and Clear California Title
    Numbers Matching
    Certificate of Authenticity
    Straight Body/Rust Free

Offered at $89,990

Many automotive authorities including Keith Martin of Sports Car Market have discussed how the ’74 Euro Carreras are hidden collectibles. These are undervalued special cars.

These cars were essentially a 1973 Porsche RS with some different bumpers and different seats. Other than that, they were exactly the same. However, they were never imported to the U.S. due to new emission standards. These are not the same cars that were delivered to the U.S.. Instead, they came with the same engine (911/83 2.7 MFI 210hp) that came in the famous ’73 RS. And, all the other mechanicals including transmission, suspension, and brakes were directly from the ’73 RS parts bin. The wheels are correct RS Fuchs with 7x15 in front and 8x15 in the rear.

With the same weight and horsepower as well as a low production number of 1,026 coupes, the 1974 Euro Carrera is virtually the same car as the coveted ’73 RS…except; it is less than 1/3 of the price!

I’ve been fortunate to experience a few of these rare Porsches over the years and must say that this car is by far the best example I have seen. It is a beautiful car that is ready to be driven or shown at your local Porsche concours. The paint is fantastic as is the interior with no noticeable blemishes. The wheels are correctly finished and wear new correct Pirelli P6000 tires. This car is truly stunning as well as an absolute blast to drive.

Recently, TLG auto performed a valve adjustment and service and they said that this was one of the best driving 911s they had ever experienced. Harvey Weidman restored the wheels.

This car was delivered without a ducktail but a no-tail plain steel engine cover. The current owner had a ducktail installed. We believe the original engine cover is available.

The car was imported from Italy in 2001 by a well-known Porsche mechanic/restorer in Vermont. This was his personal car and he absolutely loved it. He too said that it was one of the tightest driving early 911s he had experienced. He attributes this to the fact that the car was never in an accident or hammered. Unfortunately, shortly after he brought it into the U.S., he needed some money and sold it to a collector in Oxnard, CA who simply stored the car until the current owner purchased the car in 2006. The car has been lightly driven for a few Porsche events and properly maintained.

This Carrera includes the original tool kit, spare, jack, and certificate of authenticity,

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Paul at 714-668-0345 or paul@autokennel.com

For tons of pictures, either cut and paste the following URL into your browser, or click here: http://www.AutoKennel.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

1966 BMW 1600 (one of first in U.S.)
    1967 VW Beetle Sedan (Honeymoon car)
    1984 Porsche 928S (Hindenburg)
    1986/1973 Backdated 911 Coupe (R Gruppe/La Tortuga)
    1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
    1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    1999 BMW M Coupe (Race soon to be Rally)
    2003 Jaguar S-Type R Supercharged (family hauler/rain car)
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3
    2005 Chevy Express 16-passenger van (for hauling everything else)

http://www.autokennel.com

Way cool car, Paul. I had a guy call me today looking to buy my white Belgium delivery '74, but it is sold and on it's way back to Europe, and I suggested he contact you. I learned a couple of things from a few Europeans that shared what they knew about my white one, and I guess that it was a bit more special than even I realized... a special 'light weight' model? The gent in charge of COA France can share specifics with you. As I read 'special French model' on the COA, I think it might be worth your time to investigate. This label might mean more than just the duck and yellow H1 lenses; look for Koni shocks instead of Bilsteins. Also, the fact that the interior is not Russet (as listed on your COA) might lead me to believe that the interior was stripped out overseas for the more spirited driving intentions this car might have been initially ordered for

Thanks for the feedback. I am curious about the "special French model". Rick Cabel (in Vermont) bought this car and brought it into the U.S. around 2001. I think it had around 40k miles then. Rick said that the car had never been driven hard. I guess he could tell by the way it drove and the condition. I haven't confirmed with him yet, but I think the Russet interior was really ugly and rick swaped it out with an NOS interior once it was here in the U.S. Also, Rick confirmed that this car was ordered with a tail delete. The ducktail was installed by Scott St. Peter of Carrera 6 a few years ago. I believe the owner still has the original flat engine cover. Do you know who I can contact to learn more about the special French model info?

Thanks.

Paul

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

Is the car an italian-delivery one? I'm asking because in case it would be correct to be without ducktail, it was an option in 74 on italian-spec ones and was pretty rare.

Pity about the russet interior, I like it very much with black exterior. Pinstripe is not correct for a 74, it's from My77 onwards.

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Pictures do not do this car justice.

Also, one of my favorite "features" is that it still has the original bulb pack to go along with the tool kit.

I will miss this car...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Not sure if it is Italian delivery or not. Rick imported from there, but, he said it might have originally gone to France. We do know that it didn't come with a Duck Tail originally. Regarding the interior...we don't know for sure. I will know more once I talk to Rick. Usually (based on dealing with past cars from Rick) he is pretty good about doing things period correct. I will hopefuly learn more soon.

Either way, Marco is correct. The pictures do not do it justice.

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

Hi Paul,

Here is the contact information for the COA dept at Porsche of France:

PORSCHE FRANCE
    > Monsieur Franck PLECY
    > Service Homologation
    > 122, Avenue Général Leclerc
    > 92514 Boulogne/Billancourt Cédex
    >
    > Phone : 01.55.19.91.10

I think it would worth your time to figure out a way to contact and communicate with him.

Thanks so much. I talked to the COA people here in North America (I think Atlanta) and they submitted my request to their research department. The person I talked to has worked in research for over 6 years and she said she never heard of that option. So, if they can't figure it out, I think I'll go the French route.

Thanks again...very helpful and intrituing!!

Paul

1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3

These euros are the whole package and imo the only impact bumper carreras of any significant investment value. This includes the 88/89 Club Sports. While currently this might be an "all the money" asking given the continuing run up of the 73RSs these cars should also continue to climb in value. A car of this quality (I am an admitted Cabel fan) with low miles will make a very good buy. I also believe it will down the road appear to be a great buy!

Great looking car.... good luck with the sale.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

To me, this black car with the original Russett interior (and wouldn't tan carpet be the correct color to match?), original 6&7 Fuchs in the correct finish, no duck, no front spoiler, rear fog light, no Carrera script, and those yellow H1 lenses would make this 911 just about the most perfect and unusual impact bumper car on the planet. Would be my 'keeper'.

Paul, does this car have Koni shocks?