Thread: Handbrake lever

Handbrake lever

I'm a newbie here. Just registered and don't know my way around here yet. Got into a thread by mistake where a knock down drag out fight was taking place about someone selling cars and complaints back and forth about people cutting into thread space. What is this all about?? I'm expecting a reply any minute from someone telling me to mind my own business. You've got a feisty forum here. Perhaps, it was an old thread and you got it all worked out.

Anyway, I've got a very minor situation and I'm hoping since I'm new that someone will reply. Just purchased a '72 T, all original, and have been doing some minor repairs. This morning the knob you push with your thumb on the end of the handbrake came off and a long spring was sticking out. When I put the knob back in, the spring just pushes it out again. Obviously, something is missing to keep the spring and knob in the handle. I also noticed a small broken piece of hard rubber that also came out. Too small to tell what it is. Can anyone explain what is missing? Perhaps I can find an exploded view of the brake on Pelican Parts and find out what is going on. I could not find anything here under handbrake or ebrake, but again, I'm new to the forum.
    Earl

First welcome. Second you must post a picture of your car it is required

Can not help you with your emergency brake problem but someone will it is a great resource for all things early 911
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Thank you. I will take a picture and post it. Regarding the handbrake lever, I found an exploded picture on Pelican and noticed that there are threads on the end of a rod that is in the lever handle. I'm wondering if the release button at the end of the lever threads onto the rod. I saw a hole at the back of the button, but did not notice any threads. If it does thread, then it's a matter of getting the rod out far enough to catch the threads. I'm sure there is some rubber washer that is missing, perhaps one a each end of the spring? The exploded drawing was not clear.
    Earl

Found the answer to my question regarding the hand brake release button. Found the right exploded drawing on Pelcian parts for a '72 911. There is a small rubber washer between the back of the release button and the return spring in the hand brake lever. The threaded rod in the lever goes thru the spring and washer and screws into the hole in back of the release button. My release button just came loose over the years and fell off. The rubber washer was in pieces so I used a #00 washer that is for the old PricePhister faucets before "washerless" faucets came out. Any hardware store will carry these washers. The diameter of the washer looks identical to the release button's diameter, and the hole in the center looks the same as the hole in the button, but can be drilled out if necessary. I'll know the fit tomorrow when I put it on. Just thought I would write this out in case someone else has a similar problem.
    Earl