Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Stratos - the man behind it ....

This one was for sale in the paddock at Lime Rock last year. I agree that the original is much more desirable than the new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

A guy in our rally club recently bought this Hawks replica from a guy in Canada. Hawks does probably the best replicas. The wheels and bright yellow interior are absolutely horrid Who would put those wheels on a Stratos for god's sake! He's converting it to a proper Alitalia Grp 4 livery. It's got some sort of Alfa Romeo engine in it currently. I think he's yanking that out as well.

hawks startos FS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    A guy in our rally club recently bought this Hawks replica from a guy in Canada. Hawks does probably the best replicas. The wheels and bright yellow interior are absolutely horrid Who would put those wheels on a Stratos for god's sake! He's converting it to a proper Alitalia Grp 4 livery. It's got some sort of Alfa Romeo engine in it currently. I think he's yanking that out as well.

hawks startos FS.jpg
    I wonder if you could put one of the ultra-hot Ford SVT focus motors in there, Curt? Those motors are bulletproof and make good, fun HP.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I remember Jeremy Clarkson testing a Hawks Stratos on Top Gear. The thing kept falling apart or brakes not working or motor not working right. It got a DNF lap, IIRC. Took them forever to get it to go around a whole lap for a mediocre time.

They are only as good as the man in the shed.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    I wonder if you could put one of the ultra-hot Ford SVT focus motors in there, Curt? Those motors are bulletproof and make good, fun HP.
    I'm not sure what his plan is for the motor. He's doing correct Group 4 fenders, bumpers, lights, wheels, etc. The car is still clearing customs last I heard. This guy also has a 2010 Ford Focus RS! He bought it in Mexico several months ago. Somehow he was able to get Mexico registration/plates on it because he travels on business down there frequently. The car is at his home in Chicago, but don't tell anybody

Here's the current Alfa motor in the Stratos ....

hawk alfa motor.jpg

Here is Charlas Hagen's fantastic, all original Stradale in Alitalia livery. What a car. he bought it in the early 80's from the original owner and used it for weekend trips up to Monterey (I still think he does that).

Buying one of those, I am also posting pics of other Lancia greats that the left over money would get you, compared to this $700k continuation car - Indulging a bit in my Lancia passion (I have owned three so far ...). It is clearly one of the most under-appreciated marques out there.
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

Here are other fantastic Lancias. There is a fantastic car for every wallet size: From the rare and desirable Grade A collectibles (pre-war Lambdas/ special coachbuilts, Aurelias, Zagato-bodied cars), to very fun econo classics like the Appia, Fulvia or Flavia.

In this set you get the special-bodied Lambda Airway, a Castagna bodied Astura, a super-cool Riva bodied Aprilia Barcheta that ran in the MM in 1948, a D24 racer, and a series 1 Flaminia Sport by Zagato.
    Mike Baum #505

60 Citroën ID
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI

... and the cars that I can afford: Appia Berlina, Flavia (One of my ex-cars), Flaminia Berlina (Which has rear windshield wipers outside AND inside), Aurelia GT, Appia Sport Zagato
    Mike Baum #505

60 Citroën ID
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baum View Post
    Here is Charlas Hagen's fantastic, all original Stradale in Alitalia livery. What a car. he bought it in the early 80's from the original owner and used it for weekend trips up to Monterey (I still think he does that).

Buying one of those, I am also posting pics of other Lancia greats that the left over money would get you, compared to this $700k continuation car - Indulging a bit in my Lancia passion (I have owned three so far ...). It is clearly one of the most under-appreciated marques out there.
    Apparently the new Stratos guys are looking at this thread.

http://www.kilometermagazine.com/art...ia_Livery.html
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Some video of the new car unveiling, and running at Paul Ricard.

http://vimeo.com/17676057
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823