Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here ever used vinyl to wrap a car?

Anyone here ever used vinyl to wrap a car?

Hi guys,

anyone here ever used vinyl to wrap a car? This would be for a racecar only (open wheeler - cigar shaped from the 60s). Not looking to print the vinyl first, just looking for a solid color.

Thanks.

Ciao,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

http://nicolashunziker.com

It has been done. I was following a primered Porsche on a windy road a couple of weeks ago. We stopped together at a light and I asked him where he was having his car painted. It wasn't being painted, he had it covered with flat grey vinyl! Someone in LA did it for him. I thought the look was truly stupid, but in a bright color it might work. Not sure what it would do for you though, or how long it would last. Looked like something you might use for a month then toss. Would it protect your car on the track? Doubtful.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Thanks for your answer.
    Body went to the paint shop, we'll just use the vinyl for numbers etc.

Ciao,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

A Dallas firm, Skinzwraps (www.skinzwraps.com), has wrapped several high end cars including a Carrera GT for Texas Ranger pitcher, C.J. Wilson. It is done in flat black which makes it very stealth looking. A write up about their work is here (http://www.skinzwraps.com/news.php#88). Peter Salaverry, the founder is a friend of mine and you could contact him for further information if still interested. Sorry for the late reply post. Love your art!!
    Jack Griffin
    Dallas, Tx.
    Early 911S #167
    RGruppe #192

'55 356 s/r Outlaw
    '70 914-6 (2.5L owned since '76)
    '85 911 Carrera Cpe.
    '89 911 Speedster (bought new)
    '84 MB 300CD (bought new)
    Gone but great memories - '74 RSR 9114609113

A friend's racecar is a wrap and it came out great. What are you looking to find out?
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

Hi guys,

when I posted the original message I was in the process of deciding how to paint the body.

The livery of the car consists of two colors (blue and yellow). At one point I thought about painting the car in the base color (blue) and then adding the second color (yellow) with a vinyl wrap.

Turns out it's quite simple for the paint shop to paint both colors.

Cheers,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

Nicolas,

We painted my car the base color (yellow) and then did all the graphics on vinyl. When its time to touch up the paint its much easier (if you have a complicated scheme like mine) than repainting.

How complicated are you going?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

100% of Nascar uses this method. Cheaper than repaints. Shoot them primer and put on "the color".

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hi Juan,

like your livery, reminds me a bit of the 917LH Hippie car.

My livery is super simple: Blue body with a yellow 'belly' and yellow wheels. Engine lid and 90% of body will be blue, belly pan and underside of the nose will be yellow (it's a monoposto from the 60's).

I could have done the accents on the blue body in vinyl but ended spraying the entire livery.

Ciao,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

Sounds nice (please post a pic when ready).

As to the 917 comment; take the photo of my car and invert the colors for a little surprise

Cheers!
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion