Thread: Pre-'68 coupe door frames fit in a '70 coupe?

Pre-'68 coupe door frames fit in a '70 coupe?

Someone asked me if the pre-'68 coupe wing-windowed door frames would fit in a '70 coupe. He figures that with wing windows, he'd be lots cooler in his track car.

Any ideas what a pair of wing-window door frames with decent chrome might be worth?

Thanks!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Yes, pre '68 door frames with swing-out vent windows will work without any modifications, BUT you sure wouldn't want to inflict those on a track car because the pre '68 window frames are chromed brass and are therefore significantly heavier than the stock alloy frames.

In '68, for one year only, the frames were aluminum and the only added weight would be a few ounces in the form of the opening vent window.

For price & availability I'd contact EASY, Partsheaven, 20th Street Auto Parts ( PHX ) or any other reputable Porsche dismantler.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Thanks for the fitment advice.

As to the extra weight, since the door frames are certainly very near the fore-aft center of gravity, those couple of extra pounds won't make much difference speed-wise to your typical PCA boy racer. Besides, he can use the chrome to blind the competition.

Actually, calling EASY, Parts Heaven etc. would be considered bad form as I have a pair of wing-window frames that I'd probably sell this person.

Anyone have any ideas what they might be worth? I'd say these are in "fair" condition.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512