Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albert Blue/ DuPont 5000

Albert Blue/ DuPont 5000

Just took my 1970 911E to paint.
    Anyone know of way to cross reference to Dupont 5000?

The car was originally 1818-L (Albert blue)

The painter was going to have his Dupont rep scan an exposed original section of the car, but want to make sure its an authentic match and not take the chance of discoloring in the scan after 40 years.

Thanks for your help

Bud

This Duport 5000?

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...pcoat_HK_E.pdf

Do you want to use Glasurit? Or something else?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Yes Peter, I believe that is the Dupont 5000 he wants to use.
    Is it not advisable?

Bud

First off, I am not a paint expert (but there are plenty on this board who are).

What I noted on the Dupont site was that all they offer are paint chips. I did not see info on paint matching.

If you go to the Glasurit site, for instance, you can look up the specific color you desire and get the Glasurit formula:

http://www.glasurit.com/en_UK/COLOR/...LINE/index.xml
    http://color-online.glasurit.com/?language=8

In your case, search on 1818.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Why not use Lesonal, like the original paint? My painter used Lesonal and it turned out perfect.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Looks like Albert Blue is POR325 in Lesonal:

http://www.qnetonline.nl/LESNA/Color...ByManufacturer
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Thanks for your input guys.
    I'll see what he thinks about using the Lesonal. In reading the threads on this subject I gathered that it may be best to let the painter use the system that he uses day in and day out in order to get his best results.
    He will have a sample for me in the next few days as his DuPont rep scanned a pristine sample under the dash to match and formulate.

I'm leaning towards using the DuPont if he matches the original sampled spot.
    Even if its not exactly what the new Lesonal would be, I think I like that it will be what my car originally was. What are your opinions? Am I off track here?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zithlord View Post
    Why not use Lesonal, like the original paint? My painter used Lesonal and it turned out perfect.
    Johns car, take a look: http://picasaweb.google.com/Jancarfa...RSCHE911S1971#

Yes, perfect!
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Thanks again to all for the info.
    I also posted a request for help on the Pelican board and below is advice that 962porsche gave. If Dupont does not have a formula match I will go with the Lesonal.

all scaners are only 80% accurate . most of the time they will get it blendable that is all ! have the color mixxed in glasurit they still have the formula for that color in a modern paint line . your best bet would be to go by the color code not by a scan of an old faded color . if dusnot does not have the formula for that code move in to an other paint manufacture . if the person thats refinishing the car can't spray any thing but dupont than also find an other painter .

John, your car is brilliant!

Peter, Thanks for the Lesonal link, and keeping me from a hasty decision, too much work stripping and prepping to eff it up now.

Bud

I have a restored 73 Rose Red color code 024. The painter wanted to use dupont. when I asked for a sample it looked washed out and less gloss than glasurit. don't let him talk you into color matching! I just went through this repainting my liscense plate panel. Painter used PPG after I instructed him not to.It did not match so he played around for weeks and never got it right. This was also the case with a friends Irish Green. Get exact sample with exact formula that way you'll not only have a better looking car but you can match later on if you need to