Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old OEM Factory muffler tip won't fit on new dansk muffler.....

Old OEM Factory muffler tip won't fit on new dansk muffler.....

I've got a very nice used original "square" muffler tip that I decided to fit onto a new dansk muffler.... no go...

The outside diameter of the muffler extension is 1.5mm larger than the inside diameter of the original muffler tip.

My shop has just ordered the current OEM muffler tip to see what size IT is.

Updates on what we're going to do are to follow.

tks,
    Eric

expand

take it to a muffler shop and have them expand the tip a little, 1.5mm, or roll down the tip of the muffler?
    Mike

Eric,

I thought the Dansk mufflers come with an integral chrome tip. Did you take it off or was this Dansk a single-outlet sport muffler?

You've got me concerned/curious.

Hope you're well.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

My understanding is that guys are welding on a factory exhaust pipe which you can still get from the dealer

Nice early mufflers are gold!
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by mike curnow View Post
    take it to a muffler shop and have them expand the tip a little, 1.5mm, or roll down the tip of the muffler?

Tried, the dimples on the tip screw up this option.

Looking into trying to find an oe Bischoff or Leistritz.

Anyone got an original one with no tip that they can measure? (just for grins...)

Marco, no tip on the one we got, I think he ordered it that way, either that or Monty (my wrench, RGruppe member) yanked it off to put my OE square tip on. NOT going to run the rounded end one...

e

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post

Anyone got an original one with no tip that they can measure? (just for grins...)

Marco, no tip on the one we got, I think he ordered it that way, either that or Monty (my wrench, RGruppe member) yanked it off to put my OE square tip on. NOT going to run the rounded end one...

e
    My original square tip has been worn through ("spark it or park it!") so I'll be pounding it off, I'll measure the OD of the Lestritz tip and post it for you.

Now how do I roll the lip of the replacement tip without destroying the chrome?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post

e
    You could try cutting slots in both axis down the tube like a crosshair to take a little bit of the diameter of the tube out by inducing a taper. Tack weld them back up and then try to insert the tip.

Otherwise, I'd say cut of the Dansk tip and weld on an early tip.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I've got both tips that you can buy "new", one is from Performance products, and the other is the supposedly correct OE part from Porsche (comes in a Porsche bag, with Porsche part number). Both are 61mm inside diameter. So, .... hmm, guess I'm gonna have to find an old good shape muffler, or weld on a new pipe with correct OD (59mm or 58mm). I did get one measurement from a guy on Pelican and his old one is 58mm. Interesting stuff...

E

My Leistritz measures 58mm O.D.

Regards,

Al
    Al Kosmal
    the X-faktory
    Current projects; 69-911.5
    76S rat bastard---off to Germany

1970 914-4...off to Wisconsin
    73 911X Cafe Racer...........(off to S.F.....now racing in Germany)
    66 912 ...off to France
    71E 9111200979 ( gone to Paris..then to Corsica)
    77S (off to NY)
    Early S #1240

RGruppe #669
    www.x-faktory.com

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    You could try cutting slots in both axis down the tube like a crosshair to take a little bit of the diameter of the tube out by inducing a taper. Tack weld them back up and then try to insert the tip.

Otherwise, I'd say cut of the Dansk tip and weld on an early tip.
    We're going to take a cutoff wheel to the pipe like you mention... keep you posted.

E