Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pebble Beach 2010

Pebble Beach 2010

Haven't been to this show in quite a while, maybe, ten years? This edition wasn't as good as some I've been to . . . but good enough. It's always a good idea to get to this show early. Although there aren't a lot of cars or ground to cover, the field is small and the place gets busy --- as in packed --- so that, after 9 or 10:00, its pretty tough to get decent pictures.

Also, its almost impossible for me to absorb all the details in just a few hours, even on cars I'm not all that familiar with . . . or even fond of. I'm the Guy Who Reads All the Captions in the Museum, so Pebble is hugely frustrating that way. Some cars have full-on 2000-word detailed accounts, with placards and photos, pictures of the restoration, while others have only a small entrant card . . . . written in hung-over.

Plus --- all the details: emblems and hinges and swatches of fabric and leather and curves of bodywork and colors and textures and . . . Fat Guy in Trench-coat who blocks all my pictures!!! Frustrating.

And, of course, $8 for a bottle of water. Do I look 'special'? You'd think, for $150 --- and no program (they ran out) ---at least I could get a happy ending. No.

Last time I attended, I was there (somewhat bright but definitely early) at 6:30 am, for car placement. The rules require that every entrant get out on the green on their own power (that's the car only --- owners can be pushed, or, sometimes, dragged), and so, for me, anyway . . . . hearing some of these motors running (even if its only a few hundred yards) and seeing some of these car actually move is a huge bonus. It just means an early start on a Sunday morning . . . after a long night in Monterey. We got there at ~9:30, pretty much in the middle of things. Photos were tough, so . . . I suck.

The venue's basically the same except the Organizer's have made some changes and added a gauntlet of tent/pavilions as you enter the grounds. There was a vintage motor-cycle auction house/vendor as well as a Retromobile-type vendors pavilion (clothes, posters, services, art-work -- small area, utterly packed), right as I came in from the parking areas. There were also some manufacturers with small dealership-showroom-style areas set up ---- Porsche, Lexus, SAAB, and, most prominently, Cadillac.

Weather was typical --- starts out cold, dreary, almost misty, then the sun comes out . . . . and its just beautiful. I've never heard of rain at this event. Tickets were $125 on-line, $150 at the gate.

And they ran out of frickin' programs! . . . @%&$#

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Requisite Porsche Content . . .

. . . so no one 'complains' . . .

Pebble has a section for original/un-restored cars. Nice little Spyder.

I saw a 550, years ago, at the San Diego Parade, early 90s?, that had this style of top with it. This one looks original.

Love the upholstery, so I thought this must be the 'street' version of the car. But no windshield wipers, so . . . who knows?

Wheels are 16 inch (so I'm guessing this is a 550? versus the later 550A), steel+aluminum . . . a full set of 5. I have never seen these before.

Gotta love that plate, too! . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images     

We Can Be Heroes

Prettiest Car NOT in the Show

Ferrari 250GT Zagato

1956. Unbelievable.

Talked to the Owner. Said he bugged and bugged the PO to buy this car and, finally, he relented. He says the Poor Guy has been calling him every week ever since . . . wanting to buy the car back.

Check out the plate holder. Some guy must've spent a couple of days just doing all that engine turning . . . so you can hide it with your license plate!

We Can Be Heroes

More Zagato . . .

. . . 'cause.

We Can Be Heroes

Thumbs up

One of the David Sydorick 'Zagato Collection'... he also owns some of the best (only) '50's Maserati Zagato's on the panet.....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    And they ran out of frickin' programs! . . . @%&$#

Rick Kreiskott
    Rick,

I was so moved by your tale of woe re the programs that I spoke with a very friendly and helpful young lady at the Concours ticket office this morning about scoring a program for you.........her name's Quinn, tel: 831. 622. 1700, and if you'll please scan the program ticket stub of you entry ticket with your contact info and fax it to her at 831. 622. 9100 she'll gladly send you a program.

Hope you kept you ticket and holder as a souvenir, otherwise, you can buy a program book for $40.00.

They have some left, just didn't bring enough to the Concours.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

What Are Friends For? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    . . . I was so moved by your tale of woe re the programs that I spoke with a very friendly and helpful young lady at the Concours ticket office this morning about scoring a program for you.........her name's Quinn . . . and she'll gladly send you a program.

Hope you kept you ticket and holder as a souvenir, otherwise, you can buy a program book for $40.00.

They have some left, just didn't bring enough to the Concours.
    JZG
    John . . . you duh Man!

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Graber

My new favorite coachbuilder.

Look at this! Barn find . . . in Der Schweiz! (aka Switzerland) Check out the black-out cuffs on the head-lights.

Oh. And this is Packard.

I prolly know more about pre-war steam-shovels than I know about Packards. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know . . . timeless classic, American quality . . . yeah, yeah, yeah. To me, Packards look more like cruise ships. Or locomotives. Most American cars built before 1940 all look the same to me, anyway. If I'm lucky, I can read the name before anybody asks me 'Whatzat?' 'cause usually . . . I don't know. (Or care, honestly.) I'm a Troglodite.

But this? This is something different.

I spotted the grill pretty quickly --- OK, Packard --- but the rest of it? . . . nice. This I like. A lot. Smooth. Not exactly sporty, but I love these lines. And no external spare. (Or buggy whip.)

This is the kind of ride I could pull that top down on, do an In-and-Out drive-thru, leave lunch all over my face and shirt, then take to The Ritz Carlton . . . and still get the car parked out in front. (I, however, would be tased.)

And check out the back. How wonderful an end-piece, to any car, is that? Like a manta-ray fin-thing. Even in this condition --- a few notches above compost --- this thing is TITs!

Why I love beat cars!

Do you think driving it will hurt the value?

And what kind of Hula-hoop buys something like this . . . and just parks it? Then forgets about it? For, like, 6 or 7 decades?

We Can Be Heroes

This is a Duesenberg . . . .

Big.

Imposing.

Expensive.

Subtle, too . . . like thermonuclear pest control. (Oh, it's effective, alright, but . . . . )

I do love these cars. These must've had the same impact on people in the 30s that the Countach had in the 80s. I believe side-pipes identify this as a super-charged S- or SSJ. 6.9 liter, DOHC straight-eight, +300 HP (SSJs add 100 HP). +5000lbs, top speed = 140+ MPH.

In 1932.

We Can Be Heroes

Now THIS is a Duesenberg . . .

. . . by Graber.

No side-pipes (so I don't know if its super-charged), and definitely dressed-down, compared to the other Duesies I've seen, but . . . what a car.

And, like the Graber Packard above . . . . look at that trunk lid. All those curves and lines and creases, just to stash a tire. Wonderful. Bumpers, too.

This car was a big surprise to me, especially because I didn't know it was a Duesenberg. Prettiest car IN the show, IMHO.

We Can Be Heroes