Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pebble Beach 2010

NOT Seen at Pebble . . .

. . . Porsche 918 Spyder.

Couldn't get a decent picture. Just a little crowded --- like someone pinched a loaf at a horsefly convention. 500 HP V8 (with an additional couple hundred from some hub motors) hybrid. Porsche apparently has >1000 orders so . . . she's a go.

Hate this car. This is sooooo NOT the future. When I think of all the smart, compact, really clever cars Porsche has made over the years, this just feels so wrong. To me, the 356s, 904s, and our early 911s seem more relevant than ever: smart, compact, nimble, durable, desirable. This thing is just stupid, over-wrought. But hey --- I guess as long as they make money, right?

But, the world is changing. This isn't 1970. What does gasoline cost in Europe? And THIS is what they come up with?

I'm just afraid that, at some point, some one, some smart, clever little company --- a Lotus or an Ariel or a Gumpert --- will build a small, smart little plastic or CF tub, that has a turbo-diesel that runs a generator that charges a battery that powers a couple of hub-motors . . . that puts this thing in the shade. (Or better yet --- back in the lab that it crawled out of.)

The Emperor has pants . . . they're just bad ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

We Can Be Heroes

'Specials'

I don't have my program in front of me, yet (John), but I'm gonna guess that Bonneville-type stream-liners were featured in the Hot Rod section this year. Here's some more.

Apologize for the lack of details here. I'm always struck by the sheer ingenuity, imagination, craftsmanship, and just the plain wild-a$$ we-can-do-this-ness of these kinds of cars. Whenever I see these creations, I think of all the farm boys from all those small towns, who went to war, in France or the South Pacific, learned to work on Liberators or Flying Fortresses, Jugs or Mustangs, tended 'em, tuned 'em, watched 'em fall apart, blow up, then take all the smoking bits . . . and put 'em all back together again . . . over and over and over, again . . . better every time.

Then they came home. With all that hands-on knowledge --- metallurgy and mechanics, fabrication and machining, carburetion, fuel systems, hydraulics, super-charging, getting the most out of not-a-lot, and in not a lot of time --- with all the energy of young men, having seen a bigger world, now come home . . .

'To what? Back to the farm? Uh-uh'

'Let's do it again. You got a car?'

'Don't matter. Make our own.'

We can do this! . . .

They did.

We Can Be Heroes

'666'

Beast III

235 MPH in 1953

Designed by Chet Herbert. From a wheelchair.

And, yeah . . . 'ere's a HEMI in there, too . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Miller Derby

116 MPH average at Indy

Front-wheel drive

We Can Be Heroes

Alfa Romeo . . .

. . . 1932 Tipo 'B,' aka The Don Lee Special, as raced at Indy

DOHC 16v 2.7 liter straight eight, dual (as in two blowers - one per 4 cylinders) super-charged

Hand crank, lever-action shocks . . . and check out that split final drive! . . .

Never restored. Another car I could have spent all day crawling over . . .

We Can Be Heroes

First Come the 'Hot Rods'. . . .

. . . can trailers (and RVs) be far behind?

These were being dragged around by Pierce Arrows --- the un-restored one by a P-A Woody Wagon! Interior was . . . . interesting. Wood, formica, and chintz. Cooking arrangements were just plain scary. Sorta smelled like teen spirit. 'If you gotta date --- and can't wait . . .' As long as she's short.

Would love to hear the story about how this rig survived all this time.

We Can Be Heroes

13 Acts of Lunacy

Was not expecting to see these, like, at all . . . . let alone this many. Just the logistics boggle . . .

Jaguar got out of racing at the end of 1955 --- Le Mans, remember --- but still had a bunch of un-sold D-types racers taking up space. Ever the prototypical 'brand manager,' Sir William said . . .'Hey, what the Eff --- cut off those fin-things, add a bitch seat, stick on some turn-signal thing-a-ma-whatzits ---- let's move 'em out!'

Kwazy Bwits!

Anyway, as things turned-out, they committed 16 acts of lunacy before The Almighty found out what was going on, stopped the party . . . and burned the factory down.

13 of those showed up here . . .

We Can Be Heroes

What Out-Duesies a Duesie? . . .

Cadillac V16, two-seater . . . body by Pinin Farina.

'Aw C'mon, Dude! --- are you kidding me? I just coughed-up 7-figures for that damn LeBaron Sport Phaeton, Man!'

We Can Be Heroes

This was Vijay Mallya's 550 (note sticker on the plate light shroud) and was highly sought after by Porsche when he purchased the car. Believed to be the most original 550 in existence at the time, the engine had never been opened up when this was shot in 2010. This car has been digitally scanned and used as a template for future 550 Spyder restorations.

Last edited by 72targa; 10-19-2020 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Try to avoid embedded links