Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400k rs

member #1515

400k rs

I was over on the Pelican board and saw Wayne's note on the recent RS auctioned for 400k. I have a couple of questions about the build spec. No front cooler and single plugs on a 2.8 RSR motor? How exactly was that done, and how reliable could that be, or did they figure no one was actually going to drive the car. Also not even a twin exit exhaust, a little restrictive no?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I was over on the Pelican board and saw Wayne's note on the recent RS auctioned for 400k. I have a couple of questions about the build spec. No front cooler and single plugs on a 2.8 RSR motor? How exactly was that done, and how reliable could that be, or did they figure no one was actually going to drive the car. Also not even a twin exit exhaust, a little restrictive no?
    I have a single plug 2.8 RS motor in my RS, done by RUF in the 80's and I drive the crap out of it....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

No front cooler? Are you sure? Perhaps it meant no cooler in the front air dam.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a single-plug 2.8 and single-out exhaust. I know of two RSs currently running that exact setup (#97 and #1248) right now; they both make regular visits to the upper reaches of the tach. I've spent many hours with each one and can attest to the fact that they both run like raped apes.

Coincidentally, both of them have had coolers put in the front air dam that have been shrouded into the tub.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Wink

They explained it in the RM catalogue. Not sure the factory today would embark in this sort of work:

210 hp 2.7-liter air-cooled, horizontally opposed, rear-mounted six-cylinder engine with fuel injection, five-speed Type 915/08 manual gearbox in rear transaxle, fully adjustable four-wheel independent suspension with coil-over shock absorbers and adjustable anti-sway bars, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 89.3"

- Remanufactured to as-new condition in 1996 by the Porsche factory's Exclusive Department (Werk 1) in Zuffenhausen, Stuttgart
    - Believed to be only car Factory-built to lightweight 2.8-liter specification, with galvanized structure
    - Complete with certificate of authenticity issued by Porsche

Porsche's legendary 917 was no longer eligible to compete in World Sports Car Championship racing after the 1972 racing season, and instead of creating an all new car from scratch, the Zuffenhausen automaker decided to tackle the new European GT Championship instead.

The basic 911 was eligible for the FIA's Group 4 GT class, but Porsche knew that it needed to cut weight and increase output. The basic 2.4-liter air cooled flat six was bored out from 84 to 90 mm to become a 210 horsepower 2.7-liter, and wider rear wheels were fitted to deliver power to the pavement. Interestingly, Porsche chose to keep the 70.4 mm stroke. Fiberglass and ultra thin gauge steel dropped weight substantially.

To comply with homologation rules, Porsche had to offer 500 race-specification Carrera units to the public. Demand from customers far exceeded the homologation requirement; ultimately, 1,580 were built between 1973 and into 1974.

Extensive wind tunnel testing helped Porsche create aerodynamic body modifications that included the distinctive “duck tail” rear spoiler designed to improve upon the 911's often tricky high speed cornering characteristics.

The 911 Carrera RS was unveiled to the public at the Paris Salon on October 5th, 1972. More than 50 were sold on the first day of the show, and by the time the doors closed in Paris, Porsche had sold out its initial run of 500 cars, despite a hefty 33,000 Deutschmark price tag. Those built to full racing specification, the ultra-lightweight RSR variant, simply dominated their class at racing circuits around the world. Most notably, Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood took a decisive victory at the 1973 24 Hours of Daytona in the model's competition debut.

Common knowledge dictates that a car is only new once – but the 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS offered here presents a notable exception. The unusual circumstances bestowed upon this Carrera RS are unlikely to ever be repeated owing to the depletion of original correct-dated parts and spares, making it a truly one-of-a-kind vehicle.

Subjected to the most complete restoration possible – so thorough that it is to be considered a remanufacturing – this Carrera RS, one of the first 500 produced, was recreated in Germany by the automaker's Porsche Exclusive Department.

The Carrera RS's current owner commissioned the project in the mid-1990s, and before long, Porsche began a most intense and fascinating project. Ground rules set by Porsche Exclusive included an unlimited budget without a commitment for any specific completion date. In the end, the process took two years to finish, and the vendor suggests that Porsche managed to exceed their unlimited budget!

The original paint was stripped, and the car's body was subjected to modern galvanization alongside then-new Porsche 993s. The only factory galvanized Carrera RS in the world, this example features all new lightweight panels throughout, with the exception of the roof and basic structure. Painted Grand Prix white with green graphics and accents, the Carrera RS remains factory fresh today. Fit and finish throughout is nothing short of stunning. Seemingly minor details were given extraordinary attention. For example, the graphics were reproduced by the factory in correct colors specifically for this venture. (According to the vendor, Porsche has since repainted their own RS at the Porsche Museum to White/Green as the owner refused the offer of a swap upon completion of this project!)

Upgraded to 2.8-liters, the flat six engine was rebuilt to RSR specification. Amazingly, Porsche located the original engine builder and brought him into the rebuild process. His signature on the engine only adds to this rarified circumstance. The six-cylinder departs from original thanks to the lack of a front oil cooler (upgraded, modern plumbing negated the need for the cooling unit). Internally rebuilt with modern Porsche techniques, the engine certainly pumps out more power than the original 210 hp, although an exact figure has never been disclosed.

The Carrera RS's original interior was left alone, at the suggestion of Porsche. Extraordinarily preserved, it shows only the slightest patina. The correct black sports seats and grey woven carpet remain, as does the leather-wrapped sport steering wheel.

As one of the first 500 Carrera RS examples ever built, this sports car would be significant in its own right, despite the comprehensive factory restoration and upgraded engine. It was originally specified with a radio delete and an anti-theft switch from the factory. Despite its origin as an M472 'Touring' specification, this car is actually lighter today than the original M471 lightweight model.

Porsche itself has informed the vendor that it will not undertake such an intense, laborious remanufacturing process ever again, going so far as to reject his request to commission a second Carrera RS to the same spec. The next owner will receive the reissued Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche.

Showing just around 32,000 kilometers (approximately 19,000 miles) from new, the Carrera RS is an absolute show stopper today that has only seen limited show mileage since being remanufactured. This unique and remarkable car invites close inspection and would make an extraordinary centerpiece of any collection of significant Porsches.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

I saw this car shortly after it came back from Porsche. It was at a shop "fixing" the things that Porsche put on that were later and looked terribly wrong. They even wanted a quote to restore the wheels correctly, then didn't do because the car was so over budget already. To it's merit, the mechanic said the car was way stiffer than a stock RS. He thought it was from the seam welding. As far as authenic, it would not compare to most of todays American restorations. Typical factory restoration-not paying attention to detail and using as many late bits as they could. Overall I was very disapointed.
    H

Funny how the catalog description makes the car sound so great, and then there is the reality...

Wonder how they got it to be lighter than a lightweight, without touching the interior?
    Early 911S Registry #224
    911S Targa 1973
    356B Roadster 1962

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    They even wanted a quote to restore the wheels correctly, then didn't do because the car was so over budget already.
    This kind of behaviour is baffling.

Here're the facts:
    1) The car is worth BIG money, according to the current market.
    2) A ridiculous sum of money was obviously spent with the factory to do the restoration (we know this because nothing Porsche does is inexpensive)
    3) The project was already way over budget
    4) The owner could obviously afford the restoration as he/she was ready to have the factory do a second car (according to the auction description and despite the fact that, if what Harvey said is true, there was a lot of stuff that needed to be put "right" with the car once the restoration was completed)

My question is this: Why not refinish the wheels correctly?

Forgive me for saying so but, to me, this kind of behaviour is just not logical. I see people do this all the time and I just can't wrap my head around it...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

member #1515
    A 2.8 RSR had, I think 10.5 compression. Unless you run on race gas aren't you risking detonation? Weren't the heads different too?
    I agree Harvey, I've seen US restorations that were better and more authentic. It looks as if the anodized portion of the wheels were polished, not anodized.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    A 2.8 RSR had, I think 10.5 compression. Unless you run on race gas aren't you risking detonation? Weren't the heads different too?
    Hi David:

Mahle makes 92mm p&c with 9.5:1 cr for use with the non-RSR single plug heads for a sport 2.8 conversion. As you suggest, this is far different from full RSR spec but is probably what is masked by all the hyperbole in the RM sales pitch.

A 10.3 piston will impede flame travel across the combustion chamber - hence the factory practice of twin plugging the heads.

A real RSR spec engine would have real RSR heads - which are very very different from even standard RS heads even once they are twin plugged. The RSR head comes with 43mm I and E ports, different combusion chamber cc and shape - requiring a different wrist pin /piston deck height - and have been NLA for some years now.

ps: my taste relating to lightweight RS gravitates towards the Alps via Beirut.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Didn't 2.8 RSR's have twin plug heads. 10.5 isn't that high.
    Early 911S Registry #224
    911S Targa 1973
    356B Roadster 1962