Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1971T with Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame History

1971T with Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame History

I found the maintance manual to my '71T recently and took special note of the original owners address....N. Beverly Glen Drive in Los Angeles. I remembered that road leading into the mountains, and that area really wasn't populated too much back in the early 70s and had thought that the original owner (some Paul Furay guy) may not be an average Joe.

Amazing what Google can find about someone. What do the 2 songs below have in common?

60s:
    http://www.rhapsody.com/player?type=...fined&__pcode=

70s:
    http://www.rhapsody.com/player?type=...fined&__pcode=

Any clue?

Answer: Paul Richard Furay aka Richie Furay.... founder, singer and guitarist of Buffalo Springfield (Richie Furay, Steven Stills-CSNY, Neil Young, Dewey Martin, Jim Messina-Loggins&Messina) and later Poco (Richie Furay, Jim Messina, Randy Meisner-Guitar-later in Eagles, Timmothy Schmit-bassist-later in Eagles)...who also was the very first owner of my '71 911!

Richie is second from right...inbetween Neil Young and Stephen Stills

Video from 1967 Monterey Pop Festival...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g9PiEgYYUU

Great to hear he still plays (Richie Furay Band) and has spent most time since 1982 as a pastor of a church in Colorado. I looked up the church and found his email address and sent him a note asking if he in fact took delivery of the car. Below is what I got back.....

----- Forwarded Message ----
    Sent: Fri, August 27, 2010 10:44:08 AM
    Subject: RE: Car of yours from 1971?

Hey Mike,

Unbelievable!!!! All of your info is correct. Amazing; I assume the car is in your possession.

Nancy's looking for the only photo I might have of the car, I'll scan it and send if off to you - it's a black and white with my oldest daughter looking out the window.

As for a story ... when I landed at LAX in 1965 I sat at the airport waiting for Stephen Stills to pick me up (story documented in my books "For What It's Worth - The Story of the Buffalo Springfield" -page75 and "Pickin' Up The Pieces" page 58). I waited for what seemed like hours (I'm sure it was) for him to pick me up. This was way before the days of cell phones and text messaging so there I was at the mercy of a phone call I had made somtine earlier after I had decided to make the move west from working at Pratt & Whitney in Connecticutt. Every so often as I would see these awesome cars go by that I had never seen before and I knew one day I had to have one. I reember Brian Wilson had one the same color (bright yellow) as the one I ended up with in 1971. [I actually had a 912 that I traded in for the 911-T.] As it would turn out the Porsch made it back to Colorado when we moved here shortly after we bought the car. When Nancy and I were having marital problems I drove it back to California not knowing if I would ever gt back to Colorado. As things turned out we did get back together and I traded the Prosch in on a 1975 Chevy Pick-up at a dealership in Costa Mesa or Hunington Beach (I can't remember now, I think it was on Harbor Blvd.). I still hve the '75 pick-up - it does a lot f plowing in the winter - I thik it has maybe 60,000 hard miles on it. It was hard to let go of th Porsch, but for where we lived it wasn't practical (couldn't put a plow on it).

Enjoy the ride,
    Jesus loves you,
    Richie

I have been in contact with Richie a couple of times sharing stories. Oh what an honor it is to be the steward of not just a fine car, but have met such a fine man.
    -Mike
    EarlyS #1320
    '71 T/RS LWT 3.2L

Great story! Both bands were terrific.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

Wink

Very cool.... do publish the photo!

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

And let's see what the car looks like now, too!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Car from 1971....

As I bought it in '01 painted red by other P.O. with slight mods by me....

Restoration in '04...hints if original yellow from Richie's day...

Current....

Knowing this history back in '04... I may have been more inclined to take it back to original yellow. No regrets though... its awesome in its state now.
    -Mike
    EarlyS #1320
    '71 T/RS LWT 3.2L

Great story!

Other notable rock star early 911 owners:

Jim Morrison
    Steven Stills
    David Crosby (another member here has one of his old 911s)
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Mike that is a great story. I now know the tunes that will be blasting out of the car as we tear up the Hill Country.

Can you play them with the loud pedal?
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

I love stuff like this That address is within spitting distance to the Charlie Manson / Sharon Tate murders (although that was '69). Cool documentary on Hulu right now showing footage of the area - I think its called '6 degrees of Helter Skelter'. They talk about how many of the celebrity/rock star houses in that area just sort of had an open-door policy. People would crash at a house for a few weeks and then move on. If only this car could talk

What a great discovery. I love imagining the rock&roll life your car had back in the day.
    When I went to inspect my car (before buying) I asked if the radio worked as I reached over to turn it on. I don't think anyone had used the radio in some time, but when the speaker came to life, the organ solo from "Come on Light My Fire" streamed into the cockpit. Must have been Jim Morrison telling me to buy the car

Love the pics and the transformation!
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

member #1515
    I loved the Buffalo Springfield. Great story. I read somewhere of someone buying a Ferrari previously owned by Rod Stewart. Apparently there was a puncture in the roof lining and when he asked why it had not been repaired he was informed that it was from a stilleto heel hitting the roof during rod's ownership.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs