Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: '69-'73 Replacement Dash @ Lakewell

It fit very well, but as John said, the texture was not spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    The Stoddard dash is the Lakewell dash. Which is actually the Carpoint dash. Which is no longer available in the form many of us liked. I have photos of the replacement. It's terrible. Give me a day or two and I'll post them with the full details.
    Are you saying Lakewell's "new generation" dash that's supposed to introduce improvements is worse than its predecessor?
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    Are you saying Lakewell's "new generation" dash that's supposed to introduce improvements is worse than its predecessor?
    Much, much worse. I'll try and get some photos up today.

Much, much worse. I'll try and get some photos up today.
    Shoot. Sounds like I missed the boat on the "decent" version (after being indecisive for several years). Is the consensus good on the Porsche Classic dash with the cut-corner hole pattern on the grill?
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Quote Originally Posted by kentf14 View Post
    Shoot. Sounds like I missed the boat on the "decent" version (after being indecisive for several years). Is the consensus good on the Porsche Classic dash with the cut-corner hole pattern on the grill?
    So buy the Porsche Classic one only to have to source a correct grill that may have mismatched texture vs. the rest of the dash? Pretty aggravating.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    So buy the Porsche Classic one only to have to source a correct grill that may have mismatched texture vs. the rest of the dash? Pretty aggravating.
    I bought the latest Porsche Classic dash recently. I was not impressed and returned it. Besides the odd grille choice, I thought the fitment was worse than the Lakewell (Carpoint) dash and the fitment around the speaker grille was terrible. Someone else posted that they liked theirs but even in their photo the gaps around the speaker grille looked way off to me.

You might try posting a WTB ad for an old version Lakewell dash. I did the same a few months back, got lucky and was able to buy one for my current restoration and a backup to keep on the shelf. But I paid a pretty penny for them.

Does anyone know when the Lakewell/Carpoint dash changed for the worse? I have a carpoint sitting in the garage but afraid it may be the "worse" version.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Pretty Pennies

. . . might try posting a WTB ad for an old version Lakewell dash. I did the same a few months back, got lucky and was able to buy one for my current restoration and a backup to keep on the shelf. But I paid a pretty penny for them . . .
    There's always an alternative . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-911-Dashboard

Attached Images Attached Images    

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Scott72 View Post
    Does anyone know when the Lakewell/Carpoint dash changed for the worse? I have a carpoint sitting in the garage but afraid it may be the "worse" version.
    The transition was in late January of this year.

Ah it is pretty easy to drill out the corner voids for the original look. The template is staring you right in the face. Use the grill to make a paper template for the corners. Make sure it is few rows more then needed so you can line it up properly on the grill. Punch out the paper and transfer it to a thin plastic with spray paint. Drill out the plastic with a drill press. Center on the grill using the overlapping holes. I used spare drills through the template into to hold it in place with the extra holes. I used a 3.5 mm for pilot holes and 4.1 to finish. Do not drill too deep. I clamped the template with various C clamps; not too tight. It came out great. I've also done one by spraying directly onto the grill. No hard template. Then free hand drilled the holes; more fussy cause you need a steady hand. Either way some of the holes were a little ragged so I finished with a fine rat tail file passed through a couple of times top to bottom. The free hand way also came out very nicely. It is time consuming but easy.
    Last edited by steve shea; 05-23-2018 at 11:51 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club