Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: '69-'73 Replacement Dash @ Lakewell

Not sure I'd take a drill to Frank's dash.... at lease not sober.
    Last edited by kentf14; 05-24-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

OK. So here's the scoop on dashes.

The dash that has been recommended by many of us, the so-called "Lakewell dash", is no longer available. Lakewell is selling an inferior product in its place. I ordered one and had to return it. It's a very odd dash. First of all, it's made of a completely different material. Lakewell is calling it "HD PU foam", whatever that means. The differences are:

1. It seems to be a solid molded piece of black foam... including the surface and the grain. There is no discernable vinyl covering on the dash at all. It literally appears to be a single piece of molded foam. Very odd to say the least.

2. It is VERY flexible. You can hold the thing from the center, shake it up and down, and each side will flap up and down probably a foot. Lakewell says this makes it easier to install and it might (I didn't try). But the foam is so flexible I have a hard time believing that there won't be significant flex in the cowl once mounted.

3. The speaker grille is terrible. The holes are way too large.

4. The grain is almost indiscernible. If the previous grain on the Lakewell dash was too faint (and it was) this is even worse. Take a look for yourself in the following photos.

Name:  IMG_0007.JPG
Views: 720
Size:  154.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0008.JPG
Views: 704
Size:  250.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0012.JPG
Views: 653
Size:  160.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0013.JPG
Views: 718
Size:  200.9 KB

So where do we go now? Well, there's always the latest Porsche Classic dash. I, for one, am not a fan. But it may be the best option we have for the moment.

But if you can wait a little while, there may be light at the end of the tunnel. At Techno Classica last month, Soterik was kind enough to introduce me to the owner of Carpoint (thanks, Erik). Probably an embarrassing mistake on his part as I immediately began bombarding the poor man and his staff with obscure dash questions. Here's what I know.

The dash that so many of us liked, the "Lakewell dash", was actually the dash manufactured and sold by Carpoint. It was also sold by numerous other vendors under their own names including Sierra Madre and Stoddard. As many of you know, this dash had quality control issues from the start and the foam under the vinyl had a tendency to collapse over time leaving ugly surface scars. For that reason, the dash has been discontinued and Carpoint is currently not manufacturing a 1970-75 vinyl dash... but they're working on it.

According to them, they hope to have a replacement dash out this summer. I also called Stoddard today. In my previous conversations with them I was able to get them to identify the Carpoint dash vs the other dashes they sell based on a part number that started with the letters CP. When I called today and had them check their internal part number they said it showed a notation that it was out of stock until late June. So that's probably the best case scenario.

That's what I know. Hope it helps. Happy to answer any more questions but this is pretty much a brain dump of my dash knowledge.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 05-23-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks for the info/pics John- very helpful and much appreciated. That dash is a horror show- you can actually see the waviness/floppiness of the grill as well as it doesn't sit evenly with the rest of the dash. Fingers crossed for Carpoint.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

I don't think the Porsche Classic dash is too bad, better grain than Carpoint dash of any version....if only they had done the speaker grille with the correct hole pattern!!!
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I guess I got somewhat lucky. Ordered mine in January from Carpoint and they came back in said they were out of stock for a few months. Came back to me and said they did find two in stock and sent me one of them. Thought I might get someones return that had quality issues, but when it came it looked great. I guess I got one of the last old ones. Thanks for the update too, John.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

How could they FU the speaker grill holes that would be the easiest part to get right? John what was your experience on a recover by Just Dashes?
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Thanks for the definitive guide to aftermarket dashes (ca 5/2019)
    I'll wait until summer to see if carpoint releases anything new... and you guys buy one first.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

In fabricating the dash, outfits may end up overwhelmed with the number criteria involved. That by the time the speaker "cutout" is addressed, it diverts attention from the basic design. If they could simply concentrate efforts on material and fitment, some very good dashes might still be made, rather than a run here and there, and then folding up the works.

Not a great decision to even have it. Imagine twin left and right (5") underdash speakers, and no cutouts are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    Not a great decision to even have it. Imagine twin left and right (5") underdash speakers, and no cutouts are needed.
    If that's what you want it's readily available. It's called a 1976 dash. Exactly the same as a 70-75 dash but without the speaker grill. And they're fairly easy to find usually in the $800-$900 range.

But 95% of us wouldn't use them for the same reason we don't like the repro dashes with the mistakes - they're incorrect for our cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post

According to them, they hope to have a replacement dash out this summer. I also called Stoddard today. In my previous conversations with them I was able to get them to identify the Carpoint dash vs the other dashes they sell based on a part number that started with the letters CP. When I called today and had them check their internal part number they said it showed a notation that it was out of stock until late June. So that's probably the best case scenario.

That's what I know. Hope it helps. Happy to answer any more questions but this is pretty much a brain dump of my dash knowledge.
    Thanks for the detailed write-up! Have you seen any updates on the “new” CP dash?