Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: '69-'73 Replacement Dash @ Lakewell

7/28/20
    Today we removed an original cracked all over dash pad from a very straight and rust free 1970 911. First up with "our" imported poly urethane pad. Driver side , like before, fit very well. Driver side = nope! The problem is they did not put in a relief slot for the spot welded horizontal metal strip across the face, from the clock hole to the passenger side A pillar. Ok- so problem identified. We are shipping back our inventory to be swapped out for ones that are ready to install. Hope to see this within the next month.
    they will address the speaker opening dimensions as well (same problem on the Porsche Classic version, but less trimming to allow a speaker to pass through)

Nest, I took out the new Porsche Classic dashpad and went ahead and did the install on the same car. To be fair, it takes more manipulation to get the studs to pass through the chassis dash face. But once you do, and fasten it down, the fit is actually very good.
    The "ghost" line i described is not as noticeable across the long part of the face pad. The mold impressions on the underside of the gauge cowl are there and they won't get softer with exposure to heat. But as they are on the underside of this area, you would not even see it when driving.
    The speaker opening is inadequate for installing a new speaker, without removing the pad from the car. You can unfasten the speaker grill and trim the opening a little (prior to installation) so speaker install/servicing can be done without removing windshield / dash pad for access

My conclusion ?
    The factory pad is pretty darn good. Gaps around the defrost vent are tight. You can take issue with the speaker grill details. We have not tried a repro grill yet- That might satisfy the cognoscenti.
    Our offering? The jury is out for a while longer. If it fits, and since we have matching arm pads (same grain) , these might be attractive for those on a budget (considerably less than the factory dash pad)
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

It's like these manufactures never actually install their own products. I had to open up the hole on all the Lakewell door tops to get the locks to go up and down. The hole is too tight so I have to use a round file and file out some rubber from the grommet they use as it's way too tight. The Lakewell door caps and knee pads are nice but definitely a stronger grain pattern.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    It's like these manufactures never actually install their own products. I had to open up the hole on all the Lakewell door tops to get the locks to go up and down. The hole is too tight so I have to use a round file and file out some rubber from the grommet they use as it's way too tight. The Lakewell door caps and knee pads are nice but definitely a stronger grain pattern.
    Haven't seen the knee pads but was disappointed in the garnish rails a couple years back when I ordered. Besides the fitting issues you mentioned, they also aren't targa or coupe specific so they never fit exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
    My conclusion ?
    The factory pad is pretty darn good. Gaps around the defrost vent are tight. You can take issue with the speaker grill details. We have not tried a repro grill yet- That might satisfy the cognoscenti.
    Our offering? The jury is out for a while longer. If it fits, and since we have matching arm pads (same grain) , these might be attractive for those on a budget (considerably less than the factory dash pad)
    Appreciate this thoughtful write-up. So, if I'm reading this correctly, and the dash you hope to be offering soon is a "budget" alternative to the current Porsche dash, then those of us who are unhappy with the current Porsche offering aren't likely to be satisfied with your dash? Is that a fair statement?

Please let us know when you have the new dashes in hand as I'd like to order one to see for myself and document it for others who may be interested.

Looks like the same material as the reproduction 69-73 arm rests...
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Looks like the same material as the reproduction 69-73 arm rests...
    Ugh... I hope not.

I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but has anyone actually punched the 'correct' pattern into the Porsche Classic speaker grille? per the discussion here, it sounds like that's the primary defect in the current PC part, so if correcting the pattern is feasible, maybe it could provide the best overall outcome for those of us looking for a replacement dash.
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

Yup. If you mean an owner DIY. I made a template using the existing holes. Larger than the corner so you could anchor it properly for accurate positioning with dowels. I made it out of 1/8" plastic. Sprayed some paint from the backside of the grill onto the plastic and drilled out with a drill press. Pretty easy. I drilled the grill through the template. I thought about marking the grill with a spray through the template then free handing but decided through the template would be more accurate and less stress. Use a very sharp bit at low speed. It came out really nice.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by Lz7w View Post
    I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but has anyone actually punched the 'correct' pattern into the Porsche Classic speaker grille? per the discussion here, it sounds like that's the primary defect in the current PC part, .
    I actually think the incorrect vinyl is the biggest issue, I mean, at least Porsche made speaker grills with that "semi-diamond" pattern at one point. But that vinyl doesn't look like anything that ever came from the factory.

thanks guys! I missed the vinyl issue when reading the thread. hard to believe that every option seems to have a flaw/issue of some sort.
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7