Thread: Advise on buying a 2.7 RS?

Advise on buying a 2.7 RS?

hello

I am looking to buy a 2.7 RS. Does anyone have any advice on specific issues to watch out for regarding this car (e.g. special parts, oil leakage - does this one also "sweat" a bit, etc)? (the car has matching no.)

thanks in advance

Well, these have become pretty expensive so it might be a good idea to find an expert and hire that person for an inspection. I would also go along with this person to see the RS so you can learn first hand what to look for.

Starting with the engine, the RS has a unique part no. for the injection pump. On the transmission there will probably be an addition oil pump, along with a unique type #. The trailing arms are reinforced only on the RS. The factory ducktails are expensive to buy so having a correct one on the car is important as is the front spoiler. Does it have a correct plastic fuel tank?

If it is a homologation car are all the original panels still on the car. Of course a number of parts have date codes which should makes sense with the production date of the car. If it is a touring model are all the correct exterior and interior trim parts on the car or if it is a Sport model does it have the correct interior and exterior parts. It goes without saying but make sure you looking an an authentic RS.

Make sure you get a copy of the book Carrera RS and use that as a guide for these items. There were a number of running changes during the production of the RS which are detailed in the book. Have fun.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Hi,

Where are you based? If it helps we have 2 x 2.7 RSs in for restoration and you are welcome to look them over for any tips and hints.

Alan

UK based.

I would say the most important thing is making sure that it is a real RS, there are many, many fakes out there. 74 Euro Carreras had RS motors in them and were at one time cheap. Its not so hard to convert a 73 S,T,E using factory parts. Lots of people built very authentic clones in years past, cars changed hands, some ended up in the hands of criminals who either re-stamped VINs, or purchased totaled RS's for titles and and #'s.

These cars were built as race cars, many wrecked beyond recognition, and re-bodied. If I were dropping $300K, I would want it to have a well documented provenance, and so would the person I was selling it to, some day.
    Rob Abbott

Hi,

The hardest part to replicate and thus the first area to look is the metal support on the torsion bar housing. These plates are fitted as the shell is being made and thus very, very hard to replicate without being noticed. I have personally seen cars said to be original 2.7RSs that in fact were not original RS bodies.

There is more info on this thread

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...&highlight=arm

here are some better pics taken from a 2. RS we are currently restoring

The RS arms can be replicated. Here are ones we have done in the past

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=29682

HTH

Alan

and just for comparison purposes, here is another 1973 shell we restored. But this is a 73 T hence no support around the access hole for the gear linkage.

HTH

Alan