Thread: Legends of can am

Legends of can am

Original post......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Looks like a Shadow DN-something. I know Jakie Stewart drove for them at one time.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I got both DVDs from Duke.

Can-Am Thunder is not as good as Can-Am: The Speed Odessy.

Thumbs up

The first set of pics is of the Mark III Raj,

That would make it 1972... the place is Laguna Seca

Oliver qualified 4th and had a mechanical DNF in the race.....

I was very lucky to have been there.......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Raj,

here is a great post from teh late great Dave Hillman, on the 912bbs.org, that you might be interested in. Dave was lucky enough to be in the passenger seat of this car as teh csrg charity weekend. really great write up and pics

http://www.912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=112651
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    I was very lucky to have been there.......
    I was there too! I've GOT to invest in a slide scanner one of these days...

BTW, just one Shadow Mk3 in 1972 [CORRECTION: Carlos Pace drove a second Shadow Mk3 in selected races; Bobby Allison also tried to qualify a second car a couple of times in '72; finally, a turbo motor was tried as well]. Driven by Jackie Oliver (Follmer drove the original "tiny tire" AVS Shadow a couple of times in '70 but wasn't a regular at Shadow until '74). Follmer (remember the "Let George Do It!" buttons after Donohue came back?) was 1972 Can Am champion in the Penske L&M Porsche 917/10 when Penske subbed him in after Donohue's accident at Road Atlanta -- he was in the #7 at Laguna. Donohue put the #6 Penske Porsche on pole, but Follmer won the race after Mark let him by in deference to clinching the championship. Ollie was a DNF and Francois Cevert finished third in the Young American Racing McLaren M8F after Revvie and Denny broke down in the Gulf Macs. The #59 917/10 is Gregg, the #18 917/10 is Kauhsen, the #0 917/10 is Minter, the #20 917 PA is Posey.

The photos of the Bryant Ti22 MkII are Ollie's car from 1970, not 1972 like the others. After 1970 Peter Bryant and Jackie Oliver joined up with Don Nichols of AVS Shadow. (No, not all from memory... While I'll never forget those Can Am weekends, I've got Pete Lyons' book for details...).

So the #22 car is the Titanium frame one that had the big wreck?

Thumbs up

I've got Pete Lyons' book for details...
    You got THAT right Nine.....

I was there for the second year pitting for a GTA in the 2.5 TransAm Challenge.
    By that time they were running 5 liter and 2.5 TransAm cars in completely separate races.... usually on different race weekends.
    On the Oct 15th weekend of '72 they just happen to run the 2.5 TransAm as the 'warn up' race to the Lagua Seca CanAm.......

I was a lucky 23 year old to have been there.... and to have had the time to watch a little more history being made........

....... and so it goes
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    On the Oct 15th weekend of '72 they just happen to run the 2.5 TransAm as the 'warn up' race to the Lagua Seca CanAm.......
    The Under 2.5 Challenge cars supported the '71 Can Am as well. That was the race where John Morton and Horst Kwech were trading paint in the BRE 510 and Wetanson Alfa. Great racing! Must have been fun to wrench at that level of competition!

Coinidentally, I dropped by Bruce Canepa's showroom on my Saturday morning run. The Shadow Mk 3 is on the floor. Wish I had the means... Canepa's also got Revson's '70 L&M Lola at the moment, another gorgeous car...