Thread: 2001 996 Twin Turbo Reliability.

2001 996 Twin Turbo Reliability.

There is a very inexpensive 50,000 mile car available. The car was routinely dealer maintained.

Questions;
    What should I be looking for?
    Are these cars reliable?
    What is going forward maintenance going to look like?

Thanks.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Thanks Tom. As much as I love my TDI wagon; it is getting hard to resist the low price on a 415hp AWD Porsche. It would make a comfortable DD.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I think that the engine of the 996TT is of a different family from the aspirated ones, it's based on the older block (like the GT3), so it should'n have IMS issues.

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

http://www.total911.com/news/466/

The GT3's up to around 2009 can have RMS issues too. I got that on good authority. Read up on the different iterations of RMS fixes. Excellence did a piece last month.

In the meantime:

http://www.total911.com/news/466/

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Over here 996TTs are known for their reliability and capability to be safely chipped, I have a couple of friends running them as daily drivers, cars have circa 80-100k miles with no problem.

Extract from here:

"But we need to clear one thing up immediately. Although the Turbo is water-cooled it’s not the same engine that’s in the regular 996s. The turbo engine can trace its ancestry back to the old air-cooled units and is directly related not only to the 996 GT3 but also the GT1 racer (3.2 litres and 600bhp!). The other 996 engines were a completely different design and had gasket problems that could lead to catastrophic failures, but not so the Turbo. This engine is very strong and can be tuned up to well over 500bhp if the fancy takes you."

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

You need to go to 6speedonline.com. Lots of people have extensively answered all your 996tt questions. Lots of owners/tuners there and tons of great info. This really isn't the place for info. They really know the cars and I did a lot research there prior to buying a later turbo.

BTW, the short answer is that if properly maintained, not abused, and not built to some silly HP numbers... they are almost bulletproof. I think they are the best performance car for the dollar on the market. You absolutely want to have a good independent shop do a PPI on anything you consider. Do NOT trust the selling dealer- ever.

I have old P cars and love them also. But we are talking P51s vs A5s. I chose a GT2 because it is like a very much a modern evolution of my older built up 930. The awd tt's won't bite you unless you are doing silly things. The GT2 is rather unforgiving but more rewarding to get it right.. just like my 930.

SO try 6speedonline and do a search. Plenty of past discussions. GL. They are wonderful cars.

JR