Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Is it just me?

I sell my fair share of used parts and pricing is a shot in the dark. Obviously if something is under-priced it sells immediately and you probably left some money on the table but were a small community and wtf, it's no real big deal. It's hard to tell if your asking too much for things that don't sell or if there's no demand for what you are selling but just recently have seen some, what imho, are outrageous prices for seemingly readily available ordinary items. Don't want to point fingers but jeez. I know we openly are critical of cars that are advertised which I think is a good thing because other forums which prohibit criticsm tend to ID us a rough bunch and often some good dialoges come out of it which point out flaws, omissions and interesting things about cars that are being sold. Do you think it's proper to do the same thing on parts? When I see obcenely priced items I really want to make a post but don't. Same thing goes when I sell items. I'd like to know if I'm off the wall in pricing too.

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Caveat Emptor.

I manage the Classifieds on another board. Tough call.

There was one guy on there who constantly tried to sell pieces for over list price. I finally pointed him out with links to brand new products that were less than his and... his shipping was from Canada! I stepped in because I felt he was taking advantage of the people who used the service. He left and probably doesn't like me to this day but, I felt I did the right thing.

On many of the used pieces we have available to us for these cars, there seems to be no solid market value to key off. On many there are (wheels as an example). Also, there are some who view the membership base here as "deep-pocket, checkbook mechanics" vs. fellow Porschephiles/Porschegeeks... too bad but, that's what happens.

Best thing to do is edu-ma-cate yourself on market values (which is seems you have) and hope others don't fall prey.

I've been very fortunate in my years of playing with longhoods and 914's. I've had many, many good experiences from my fellow P-Geeks. Many here have simply sent me parts I needed (MarkS, JohnA) with extreme generoustiy. I try to return the favor when I can.

Some sites don't allow people to weigh in on another person's classified ad. Especially a car for sale ad. I like the give and take and frankly, if something can be bought all day long for a cheaper price... I'm not against calling foul. It becomes subjective and is very hard to manage though when that happens.

Again, Caveat Emptor.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

You like to think the marketplace speaks

Speaking of which,

Anyone know these LA guys "porforauto" on eBay. Most all their items are high price, Buy it Now items, all overpriced. How about a junky 914 steering wheel for $365 (about $300 more than its worth) and they have just BIN, no bidding or, even best offers. Obviously, they are looking for suckers and I guess they find the ill-informed buyer often enough to make it worthwhile for them? Thanks.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/porforau...1&_from=&_ipg=

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images    

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

You might like this one too. He/she starts his auction at $.01 but charges $999.99 for shipping. I guess the idea is to pay less in eBay fees but what when it never shows up? Will you get your $.01 back?

Richard

I find far less issues in this forum than others (bird) we seem to have more of a group with morals
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Quote Originally Posted by advtracing View Post
    I find far less issues in this forum than others (bird) we seem to have more of a group with morals
    I agree. Most people here are on the bird too, but the reverse isn't true. Here the knowledge is a little more specialized, which leads to more realistic pricing - that and people more willing to call it out.

To Bill's point, I don't know what the best thing to do is either. I am surprised how some people lower their prices very fast, and yet others "bump" for MONTHS without even another poster on their thread.
    Early S Reg #1809

wow!

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

You might like this one too. He/she starts his auction at $.01 but charges $999.99 for shipping. I guess the idea is to pay less in eBay fees but what when it never shows up? Will you get your $.01 back?

Richard
    '

You're not kidding Richard!

This guy on eBay writes "Please notice shipping charges, yes they are accurate....." Accurate! I guess he means that is the charge $999.99! Also in the eBay ad is "$999.99 US Postal Service Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box"
    Wow (again!) And he is going to use a flat rate box (of course the carb won't fit) What a jerk. Notice his feedback is 100%-even jerks manage to get decent feedback; I've seen it more often then you'd think. So, buyer beware!

BTW, the guy did this to avoid eBay listing and final value fees; not allowed. I just reported him to eBay. Since eBay will probably pull his ad, here it is:

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This was one of the ads that prompted this thread................it's one of own albeit not many posts.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=36684

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"

67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Hum

Quote Originally Posted by BBausser View Post
    This was one of the ads that prompted this thread................it's one of own albeit not many posts.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=36684

Bill
    Did you think the price (way) too high?

-Allen-

Yes I do. But I guess the market will tell. Do you think $900 is a good price?

I have a pair somewhere that I thought about listing for $50. Maybe I should root around for them and ask for a more reasonable and outrageous price.....maybe $1,500.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"

67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

Early S Registry # 787