Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Porsche Speedster, only 356 being made

New Porsche Speedster, only 356 being made

Porsche is doing a new Speedster, with a heavy tribute to the original.

More on the blog:

http://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Front end looks great; rear end looks a bit ungainly......
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Those shark fins are so '80s.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar

speedster

Nice, but I prefer the original 356 version.
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chaser View Post
    Nice, but I prefer the original 356 version.
    +1

I like the 911 Speedster better than the 997 one but the 356 was the best.

Did they even bother to cut the windscreen down like a proper Speedster on the 997?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar

please dial 356 to reach the marketing department

once again it seems the guys in marketing were more behind this car than the engineers. yes, yes, i know, the original was also driven by marketing, but the original had something special about it. it was stripped down to the bare bones, the "el cheapo" horribly impractical model made for guys who wanted to race it in scca events with only the slightest modifications.

so, how exactly is this car related to the original 356 speedster aside from the script? certainly not in spirit, nor in design. it appears to be nothing more than a special edition boutique car. they should have called it the $peedster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiMVu...layer_embedded
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

What does that have ANYTHING to do with 356 styling ?

just an upgrade of the 911 Speedster they made years ago, but not a 356....

And they will all sell so I guess it works for the marketing dept.

Dave

The car above looks like a tribute to the 1989 "K-Program" Speedster -- right down to the Fuchs-look wheels and the stone guards, definitely not to the earlier 356 or later 964 Speedsters. The only reason to "limit" production to 356 is an attempt to boost sales in the last year of 997 production -- they have little hope of selling more. The '89 was also a last year of production "collectible" churned out as a marketing exercise.

EDIT: Gee Whillikers -- This riff on the Sport Classic lists for the equivalent of $267,390. That's some serious change!

The ultimate K-Program Speedster has got to be the 934-look car that Bruce Canepa did for Gary Primm. It has a genuine 600+hp 962 motor that Jerry Woods converted to twin-turbos to fit under a dp tail. It's back on the market with only 1800 miles: http://www.canepacollection.com/deta...d-5837928.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

If a guy just had to have 400 hp, he could buy a 964 Turbo, juice it a little, then buy a restored 356 Speedster, a restored 73 S, and still have some $ left over when compared to this 997 Speedster.

In 5 years, the 964 Turbo, 356 Speedster, and 911 S will still be worth what the guy spent, whereas the 997 Speedster will be worth $125k at best or maybe $100k. That's a lot of bucks to pi** down a 997 Speedster hole all for the glory of having the latest 'boutique 911'.

But then, that's just me....
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

201000 euros? They must be kidding. I bought one new in 1989 for around $70,000 plus and thought that was too much. It was Baltic blue with cashmere.
    It looks great though......hhhmmmmmmm.
    Early 911S Registry member#775